Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like the bikes won't be coming out of storage any time soon... this is what we woke up to today!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
340 Posts
The rule here in Co is don't plant until Mothers day has passed. Seems you have no such rule... :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hard to squeeze your bike in the overhead compartment too.

Beautiful pics, Glen.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys! We do feel blessed to be living in such a beautiful part of the world, even though the weather can be, ahem... harsh at times. We have been here for eleven years, after living in three other Canadian provinces, and we would not wish to live anywhere else. Fogo Island is very remote, (a one-hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland) and may not be for everyone, but it certainly does have its advantages... zero crime rate, no pollution, no noise, no gangs, no traffic, no freeways... and there is not so much as a single set of traffic lights (nor a Walmart!) within a hundred mile radius! The doors are never locked, and the keys never come out of the ignition. Ever.

And there is probably no safer place on earth to ride a motorcycle... there's just nothing to hit, nor to be hit by, although our large population of woodland caribou sometimes want to share our roadways. We go out riding and will often not come across another vehicle. And the views along our island's coastal roads are breathtaking! Here's a few shots taken near our home.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

the shoreline in front of our house

many of our roads are just a few feet from the water's edge

looking down on the scenic town of Fogo

view from the hill directly behind our house

view from our living room window

the road leading to our village

yup, we even have sandy beaches... which we often have all to ourselves!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Deer are a concern for motorcyclists here in Minnesota. I don't do much night riding. I was in my car a few weeks ago and a large doe appeared out of nowhere and swooped over the hood of my car. That is not something I want to encounter while on my bike.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Beautiful Glen. Looked similar to the place I used to live in Nunavut, until I saw the trees (there weren't any on our tiny island). We didn't even have pavement there (not even at the airport) and I think there were 3 trucks in town (and 1 Chevette, although I never saw it move). Main modes of transportation were Hondas and Ski-Doos (that's what the natives called 4 wheelers and snowmobiles). Had about 2 weeks of 65 degree temps in late July, and that was summer - lol. The only stores were the Co-Op and Northern - not even a restaurant. Primitive and harsh, but I got to live in a part of Canada most people will never experience and I'm glad I got the chance to do it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful Glen. Looked similar to the place I used to live in Nunavut, until I saw the trees (there weren't any on our tiny island). We didn't even have pavement there (not even at the airport) and I think there were 3 trucks in town (and 1 Chevette, although I never saw it move). Main modes of transportation were Hondas and Ski-Doos (that's what the natives called 4 wheelers and snowmobiles). Had about 2 weeks of 65 degree temps in late July, and that was summer - lol. The only stores were the Co-Op and Northern - not even a restaurant. Primitive and harsh, but I got to live in a part of Canada most people will never experience and I'm glad I got the chance to do it.
Sounds like a great experience, NorthernRider. Yes, quads are about the main mode of transportation here on Fogo too; we're about the only people who don't have one! Luckily, our summers last longer than just a couple of weeks... in fact it can get quite hot (30+C) from mid-June to mid-September. We have pretty much everything one would want right here on our island, except for a dentist office, vet clinic and shopping malls. (and I don't miss shopping malls!)

The northern half of the island is pretty barren, with the southern half forested. I believe Fogo first got paved roads in the 70's. (electricity only arrived in the late 60's) We have a very nice paved airstrip which accommodates private jets, thanks to our ultra-high-end (and now world-famous) Fogo Island Inn... I suppose if you can afford the rates of $1,800 - $5,000/night, you may as well arrive in style!... sure beats sitting in the ferry lineup!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
you know, its great in the summer, but in the winter you could head south

someplace like Bar Harbor Maine, or Fort Erie Ontario

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
you know, its great in the summer, but in the winter you could head south, someplace like Bar Harbor Maine, or Fort Erie Ontario
Actually we like the winters here. Contrary to popular belief, Fogo Island has quite mild winters compared to much of Canada. (daytime temps in Jan-Feb are normally right around the freezing point) And there's the snowmobiling. And of course it's always a thrill to spot a polar bear on the shore. But we sometimes are in Africa (Uganda) for a couple months in winter... though I am not much of a fan of the intense heat there.

Yes, we can get tons of snow here at times, but not as much as we experienced when we lived in Central Ontario, Southern Manitoba and the BC Interior. Spring generally arrives late to Northern NL, but winter starts late as well. (we never get a White Christmas) It usually takes until at least mid-February to have enough snow on the ground for snowmobiling. The pic below was taken at Christmas.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

1 - 17 of 17 Posts