Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have the bike out yesterday, and it was running great. Now today when it idles there's fuel spilling out of the overflow on the carbs. Potentially a stuck float? I have a poker run to go on tomorrow so I need this fixed ASAP. Any ideas would help tremendously

·
Registered
133 Posts
that sounds like a stuck float to me too. try taking a screw driver and using the handle part, LIGHTLY tap the side of the float bowls. I did say LIGHTLY right!! if its hung up that may jiggle it enough to drop it back down, if not then your looking at pulling the carbs to see whats going on.
I see in your signature you have the Maxair kit. By chance did you make any adjustments to the float levels? if so, you may want to recheck those setting again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if I like the sound of that answer or not lol. Hope it works. Ill have to wait til morning to find out though

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1998 V star 1100 custom. Just took carbs apart and found a little debris in one of the gloat bowls. Ran great yesterday so hopefully that's what it was. Just puttin carbs back on now

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back together. No leaks. Must have been crap catchin the float makin it stick open

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so here's the deal folks. got her back together and no leaks. in the morning, fired it up and no leaks. twisted the wick and the damn thing started leakin, though not as bad this time. thru out the day, it would stop leaking and start leaking very sparatically (still got an average of 42 MPG so it dont leak a lot really).

im kinda wondering if i need to clean the carbs better amd maybe replace the fuel lines? i replaced the fuel filter while i was workin on it "just cuz" and the old one was all brown (suppose to be transparent white lol) and varnish lookin. wonderin if that could be the problem. any ideas helpful.

oh, and DANMAN, i checked the float levels and re-adjusted one of them (one was at 14mm as MaxAir suggests, the other was at 12mm). now they are both at 14mm

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, i leave my fuel petcock "ON". not sure if that has anything to do with my problem. just giving as much info as i can

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any more ideas? Now it cruises nice but won't stay running at idle. When I twist the wick while cruising all is still good. When I twist it hard, one of the cylinders cuts out. I'm at a loss folks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts