Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike has recently started to leak oil out of the exhaust flange on the rear cylinder. It only does it when it’s cold. It only seems to do it when that first cold ride is short. If I ride it cold 5 miles when I shut it off it will smoke and put down oil. If it ride it 20 miles it doesn’t do it. If it’s hot it never does it. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,359 Posts

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
^ditto - there should not be any oil coming out the exhaust for any reason

the tappet cover o rings will leak if you adjust the valves, and the re-use a dried out stiff o ring

happened on my 650, was drizzling all the way down the engine by the output shaft and leaving drips of the floor - I thought it was the output shaft seal, throwing it all over the engine as it spins

till I washed the engine down good with Era laundry soap, started it up: tappet cover.

you may be able to get to the rear exhaust tappet cover without taking anything off the bike - you can on a 650. To get to the intake tappet covers you have to strip the bike all the way down to the carbs-off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. Looks like i will be trying to replace that o ring this weekend.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
you might need to get a little 10mm open/box wrench to get on the cover bolts

and its impossible to get a torque wrench in there, so torque another 10mm head bolt to the correct tension, then get a feel for that with the box wrench

its like one finger on a 4" long wrench - if you over torque it, it will crush the tappet cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts