Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my new stratoliner developed a rear rocker box leak at the git go. not wanting the dealer to touch my bike, i did the fix myself. what a job. i had to take what seemed to be half the bike apart. it has a little over 1000 miles. the problem is, i have the engine light staying on and get a 14 diagnostic code, which is the #1 cyl. air pressure sensor hose. i did have to take the hose off to raise the air cleaner , but hooked it back up. now i have to erase the memory of the fault in the ecu. any one know how to do this? the service manual is very complicated on this subject.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's wrong with your dealer:confused: He got dirty hands:eek:
nothing wrong with dealers, i'm just picky about my bikes. when i do the work myself i know it's done right. to many horror stories out there about dealer work on anything. there are very good mechanics and there are some that aren't so good. it's like that in any field. i believe they call it being human.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
If you put the hose and sensor back correctly then the error code will reset by starting the bike and let in run at idle for a bit. In other words, it sounds like you didn't do it right. :D:D

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
when i do the work myself i know it's done right.

This whole thread has to be some kind of elaborate hoax, right?

I mean...a bike with 1000 miles develops a warranty issue that could be rectified at no cost to the owner by the dealer? But even though the dealer hasn't yet done anything wrong, the owner doesn't trust his bike to a designated warranty repair facility because he's sure he will do a better job repairing it than the service personnel? So now the bike is malfunctioning and the OP still says he does his own work because he knows it will be done right?:confused:

C'mon, admit it: you're having us on aren't you? ;) This is actually a rejected script from TV's "Tool Time" isn't it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This whole thread has to be some kind of elaborate hoax, right?

I mean...a bike with 1000 miles develops a warranty issue that could be rectified at no cost to the owner by the dealer? But even though the dealer hasn't yet done anything wrong, the owner doesn't trust his bike to a designated warranty repair facility because he's sure he will do a better job repairing it than the service personnel? So now the bike is malfunctioning and the OP still says he does his own work because he knows it will be done right?:confused:

C'mon, admit it: you're having us on aren't you? ;) This is actually a rejected script from TV's "Tool Time" isn't it?
why don't you just say you don't like me and get it over with.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
before this thread turns "stupid", were you able to reset the error code or what?

If starting and running the bike didn't do it, he should try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so, reconnect and see if it's gone away. If not, then something is still fubar.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
The method I wrote came right out of the service manual which is pretty simple to follow. If it don't reset after 5 tries you need to contact your administrator.....oh no, sorry, that's my iPhone password message. If it doesn't reset, you did something stupid and you need to recheck your connections. If all connections are good, then you probably broke the sensor or the electrical connector to the sensor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
before this thread turns "stupid", were you able to reset the error code or what?
i have a shop manual ordered. it did'nt get here in time. so i downloaded one off wiki. i needed the torque values for the rocker cover, and rocker support casting. i did unplug the sensor and unhooked the hose. i need to raise the tank and see if the hose is hooked up. i know i plugged the sensor back in. the engine light won't go out till i reset the computor. i want to check the connection before i do that. i'm not new to this motor. i had a prostreet warrior that i put patrick racing pistons, speedstar cams, ported the heads with a three angle valve job and van ce & hines exaust. i did all the work myself, and am an accomplished drag bike engine builder. for some reason my threads have to go stupid. i like to share my knowledge and pick other folks minds for their knowledge. i don't claim to know everything, but i don't like being treated like i'm stupid. for some reason when i start a decent thread a certain group feels like they have to hijack it and act stupid. just venting. snarley bill

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
venting aside, my understanding that I offered to you is that the service manual states to start the bike and let it run at idle for some period of time and if all is good with the pressure sensor, your check engine light will go away. I don't think you need a handheld error code analyzer or pick out specific ecu wires and jumper them or ground them or use some kind of special resetting technique other than fix your problem and start the bike so the ECU can resume a normal signal and readjust and turn off the check engine light.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Cylinder head cover (rocker cover) bolts are M6's and get 10Nm. The M6 bolts for the rocker arm base also get 10Nm. The larger M8 bolts of the rocker arm base get 24Nm. And if you apply a thread locker, not being a stupid person, you know enough to back off on those torque values.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cylinder head cover (rocker cover) bolts are M6's and get 10Nm. The M6 bolts for the rocker arm base also get 10Nm. The larger M8 bolts of the rocker arm base get 24Nm. And if you apply a thread locker, not being a stupid person, you know enough to back off on those torque values.
thanks for the info. i have gotten it together and rode it several times. no leaks yet. according to the manual i down loaded, it is quite a ritual to reset the ecu. there is a certain series of steps that have to be done in order. when my manual gets here and i can have it next to the bike, i will reset it. it runs great other than that engine light being on. it is code 14, which is the #1 cyl. pressure sensor hose. i'm sure it's hooked up but i will check in the morning.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Okay. The service manual is pretty clear that a #14 should clear by starting the bike and run it at idle for awhile. If the hose is on correctly and the electrical connection is plugged in fully then I suppose it's possible a connector pin is damaged or has been pulled off one of the plug's wires inside the connector.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. The service manual is pretty clear that a #14 should clear by starting the bike and run it at idle for awhile. If the hose is on correctly and the electrical connection is plugged in fully then I suppose it's possible a connector pin is damaged or has been pulled off one of the plug's wires inside the connector.
i am going out and check the connections shortly. i am almost sure i connected them. thanks for your help. bill

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Good Luck Bill, I hope the error clears.

Cuz if it does, I know there are members on here that are just chomping at the bit to have fun with this topic, including "yours truly" :D:D

Yep, I'm from "that group" :D

All will be in good fun as long as you can poke fun at others and more importantly, be able to laugh at yourself. If not, sorry. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good Luck Bill, I hope the error clears.

Cuz if it does, I know there are members on here that are just chomping at the bit to have fun with this topic, including "yours truly" :D:D

Yep, I'm from "that group" :D

All will be in good fun as long as you can poke fun at others and more importantly, be able to laugh at yourself. If not, sorry. :)
if the sensor is hooked up and the light don't go out. i'll just put tape over it. i'm stiil trying to get out in the shop to work on it. i can take a good ribbing anytime except when my brand new bike don't work. when i get some good test miles on it and it works i will be in a joking mood. at least your one that can be sensible when a guy is down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts