Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my leather clad saddlebags. The more hot weather, and direct sunlight that hits my saddlebags the more that the rear corner of the top cover curls up. I can sometimes manipulate it, and get it to almost straighten out, but I'm afraid that it will eventually wear out and the corner will snap right off. Any ideas???

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have used Yamaha mink oil on my leather seat, and saddle bags on my Vstar. You have to let it set for a few minutes in the shade then just microfiber towel dry it and it should be nice and supple again. Good luck with whatever you use though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I never thought of something like the mink oil. I'll try that as well on one bag and give it a couple of days. I think the sun really dries out the leather, causing it to shrink and the tips begin to curl. Thanks for posting the two options!!

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Hope this helps Fly Fis, let us know what works for you. Since I live in a hot humid climate, the mink oil won't dry out the leather like some other stuff I've used before.Hummvee854 is right on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've used Yamaha Mink oil on my 2012 950T. No problems so far - but the bike is RARELY in the weather/sun unless I'm on it. Garage at home - covered parking at work.

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep, same here. Mine see's daylight when I'm riding it. Otherwise covered in the garage.

I didn't have a garage for my Vstar but I kept it covered completely with a reflective water proof outdoor cover and the leather stayed fine. If I was concerned about the temperature or winterizing the motorcycle, I would remove the seat and saddle bags and bring them into my house to make sure they stayed in good condition. Temperature can really alter the flexibility and pliability of the leather and can cause it to crack from what I have observed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got some mink oil and will try it tomorrow morning. We're going on a ride on Sunday and it's supposed to be still pretty warm so we'll see how that goes. Thanks to all for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sadly, much as the others have said, you must keep them out of the elements. I live in Phoenix AZ. I would ride to work and the bike would sit in the sun all day long. Here the sun is very intense and early summer days exceeding 115 degrees is not uncommon.
I too began to experience what you are, with the bag tops at the rear pointed edge begin curling up. It's the material drying and shrinking pulling tight. When I bought the bike I was supplied with a tub of mink oil, which I began to liberally apply.
At first it worked nicely. Then it became where I had to treat them more often. From there it became a fine line between not enough and too much. When too much was the case, the bags would look fine at home. But if a little rain fell they would bubble up becoming extra loose fitting. Then a day later after drying, they again would be curling up almost touching the turn signals. It got worse. One intense day of 118, I went out to leave. One bag would not latch. The material had shrunken and actually broke the center of the lid in four places. As a result it would no longer latch and I removed my bags for good.
At the time I had no where inside to park the bike. At home it was in the shade, which helped immensely. But the sun killed them here. Other geographical locations should be far better. All the same they need to stay out of the elements as much as you can make it happen.
I want my bags back but cannot deal with what I did before. I am thinking seriously about buying the bags for the Deluxe model and have them painted up but the cost holds me back.
If you have a garage, use it. If you car park inside at work do. I hated taking the bags off every night and treating them every two or three days but you do what you have too.

Good luck with your bags.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I use the mink oil.. also waterproofs the leather.. 7 years old and bags still looks great.

local Yamaha dealer didn't have any more so I went to tractor supply.. they sell for saddles etc.. I think it was $5 for a can same size as yamaha..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the mink oil is definitely the best answer. I've applied it several times and it seems to allow the corners to be bent back down so they are almost flat. I have a garage as well and keep it in the garage at night etc, but at work it's out in the sunshine. I also live in NH, and on a gravel-dirt road so I have to be sure to rub it in vigorously otherwise the dust sticks to it and I have to be careful to get rid of all the dust otherwise it goes into the leather which isn't good at all. Thanks again for all your help with this. I do love the look of the leather clad bags and guess this will be labor needed to keep them looking good!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those with damaged leather clad bags, if you do not want to spend on a new set, you should consider removing the leather completely and having them painted.

Here's a few pics of stripped and painted bags. They do look good.

FYI - These are not mine. A previous owner was selling these.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts