Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to do a flasher mod for my 650. I tried the Grote 44530 flasher mode found here but that didn't work. Is there and plug and play kits out there that do not require modding the original flasher?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just need to add more resistance, in theory. So should I put a resistor in parallel or in series with the lights?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Don't know if this will work on your bike but I swapped out a couple turn signal bulbs with LEDs on my pick-up and got hyper flash because of it. Well I was going to place resistors in line to each bulb but found out about an electronic flasher. It plugs in exactly like the old flasher but doesn't need a certain load to flash at the correct rate. Found it at a local parts store for less than $15.
Hope that helps in some way.

DUHHHHHH...never mind. Guess I should have taken a look at the link in your post before I opened my mouth. :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, so resistors in parallel based on the load equalizer link.

Summer, yeah, one of the nice oddities our Yamaha's have that make them a pain in the butt to customize. 5 pin flasher relay and reverse thread right hand mirror...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nothing is simple anymore is it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Summer, it is just our Yamaha. Every other manufacture uses mirrors with the same thread on both sides and 2 or 3 pin flasher units.

Nick, that is incorrect. That is a myth. Electricity is like water with how it flows. Imagine series of pvc pipes with water running through it. If you make a T intersection and one direction is a 1" pipe and the other is a 1/2" pipe water will still flow in each pipe, it will just flow at different rates.

If electricity only followed the path of least resistance then most of our electronics would not work. How could you have your TV and your lamp and your home theater system all on and working at the same time if electricity only followed the path of least resistance? One of those appliances will be less resistant then the others.

If I recall correctly if resistance is in series you total the resistance, if resistance is in parallel you half divide the resistance. For example, two 4 ohm speakers in series equals 8 ohm over all resistance, but in parallel 2 ohm over all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh, mtmous, the 650 has a single turn signal indicator bulb on the dash, I will probably have to do the diode mod for that to work. I am just not sure if that prevents the signals from working or not. I don;t care if the indicator doesn't work - they are self cancelling.

Most likely next winter's project will be to rewire the entire bike using Motogadget m-Unit. Then this all becomes a moot point.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ugh, mtmous, the 650 has a single turn signal indicator bulb on the dash, I will probably have to do the diode mod for that to work. I am just not sure if that prevents the signals from working or not. I don;t care if the indicator doesn't work - they are self cancelling.

Most likely next winter's project will be to rewire the entire bike using Motogadget m-Unit. Then this all becomes a moot point.
Same source as my original link has diode kits to fix the single indicator problem however I never needed to use this. My single indicator on my old Suzuki flickered but never caused a problem with signals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I will try it first. Otherwise I have plenty of diodes I can use to do my own mod.

I will finish up wiring brake light and license plate light this weekend. If the turn signals don't happen right now that is fine. Not legally required in MN. So hopefully after this weekend the bike will be street legal, just in time for some of this 60 degree weather that is suppose to be coming.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, I will try it first. Otherwise I have plenty of diodes I can use to do my own mod.

I will finish up wiring brake light and license plate light this weekend. If the turn signals don't happen right now that is fine. Not legally required in MN. So hopefully after this weekend the bike will be street legal, just in time for some of this 60 degree weather that is suppose to be coming.
If you get a fast flasher symptom you need the equalizer in my first post. If you get cross talk between the turn signals you need the diodes, one on each led signal wire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I got a bad Grote relay. I hooked up 12v and an LED directly to it, no click, no flashing. The LED lit though.

I picked up the Custom Dynamics EDFR relay, that worked great. It did bring to light a problem. My left front signal dimmed instead of brightened. I took the cover off - rust, rust, and more rust. I will be replacing the front signals soon with LEDs so I will live with this for now. The signal is still obvious as to what direction I am going.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got around to getting the front turn signals replaced. Yep, because of the single indicator light I need the diode kit. So until I get one I cut the indicator bulb wires so I don't have the 4 way flash issue and ready to accept diodes when I get them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Finally got around to getting the front turn signals replaced. Yep, because of the single indicator light I need the diode kit. So until I get one I cut the indicator bulb wires so I don't have the 4 way flash issue and ready to accept diodes when I get them.
You'll need 2, one for each signal light.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just so someone else that reads this isn't confused, you need two diodes. The diode kit form custom dynamics has both in a simple kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It finally stopped raining and I got to drive it for the first time in years today. Right now the indicator light is disconnected until I get some diodes. When the bike isn't running the LEDs are all working correctly. However, when the bike is running the front running lights appear dim. When I turn on a turn signal is alternates between amber and white. While I don't mind that it is suppose to turn the white off like in the video. Any ideas on why it is doing that? I will be emailing custom dynamics to see what they say.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, Custom Dynamics support is fast. They are saying the two ground wires on the TrueWrapz are backwards. Though I took care to make sure the correct ground wire was with the correct light wire, We'll see if that fixed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
led flashers

I ordered a 4 way flasher kit from custom dynamics for my 2009 vstar and the kit doesn't work for my vstar. Do you have any alternative ideas? It seems to me that Yamaha doesn't have a flasher kit for the vstar. Thanks for any ideas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts