Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got it now. I had to rotate them to shine on the road not to the sky ? I asked the company for the difference between old model and my model of passing lights and I was told that I have the new model made for the new headlight to match the light color. So I am happy now lights are awsame ?
Awesome! I'm going to save up, then, and get the Passing Lights too! I have an LED headlight on my V-Star 650 but, Halogen Passing lights and, I don't like that they look so different. I'd like the lights on my Stratoliner to match. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date! I'll be posting pics of my install, once I finally get it.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just got an update from UPS. Apparently my headlight was sitting in 'Clearance' in Denmark, not US Customs as I had assumed. UPS has now picked it up from Glostrup, Denmark and is estimating delivery on Apr 29.

·
Registered
197 Posts
--

I don't know if anyone else has encounted this or not, but I found that the concentrated pattern of the low beam was such that the light was almost invisible to oncoming traffic in the daytime. So I've gotten to where I always run high beam in the daytime. Oncoming traffic can now see me better and it's no problem with blinding anyone in the daytime. Once evening comes, or in tunnels, I use low as appropriate.

--

·
Registered
282 Posts
PaloXV - Was your main headlight aim OK right at install? I just got mine yesterday and installed it last night. It's only shining out about 7 or 8 meters - not near far enough for night riding. And of course, the LED case replaces the OEM case that has the aiming screws so, I can't find any way to aim it. I've reached out to FullBright this morning - hoping to hear back from them later. But just wondering if you had to make any adjustments and, how you did it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,681 Posts
Hopefully this helps aiming your headlight.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hopefully this helps aiming your headlight.

[Pictures removed from QUOTE to save space! - Jim]
Les,
That doesn't help me. That whole assembly with those aiming screws gets replaced with the FullBright LED Headlight. Those screws are now in the box with the old reflector and bulbs - it's one assembly. But thanks for trying! I've already heard back from FullBright but, so far he's just asking if I've made any other modifications that would affect the ride height (I haven't). This doesn't bode well.
Jim
Edit to add: I can't believe someone tried to make a replacement LED headlight that replaces the old aiming system with ... nothing to aim with. They're just relying on their manufacturing process to make a light that will 'just work' :confused: for an otherwise stock bike. There doesn't seem to be any mechanism to allow for variation. I'm probably going to have to end up either finding a way to get the whole bucket to move or, ditch the new headlight. :( Wonder what it costs to return something to Denmark? :mad:

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
--

I don't know if anyone else has encounted this or not, but I found that the concentrated pattern of the low beam was such that the light was almost invisible to oncoming traffic in the daytime. So I've gotten to where I always run high beam in the daytime. Oncoming traffic can now see me better and it's no problem with blinding anyone in the daytime. Once evening comes, or in tunnels, I use low as appropriate.

--
With my regular headlight i run the hi beam 98% of the time. I may dim it on a dark road for an oncoming car if i am in the mood. I haven't had the switch back in the dark yet to see the difference

·
Registered
197 Posts
Edit to add: I can't believe someone tried to make a replacement LED headlight that replaces the old aiming system with ... nothing to aim with. They're just relying on their manufacturing process to make a light that will 'just work' :confused: for an otherwise stock bike. There doesn't seem to be any mechanism to allow for variation. I'm probably going to have to end up either finding a way to get the whole bucket to move or, ditch the new headlight. :( Wonder what it costs to return something to Denmark? :mad:
--

I couldn't get the adjustment on one of my RoadStars to get anywhere near in range. So I took a crowbar and just bent the whole assembly forward and down (in my case) to where some small screw adjustments were possible.

--

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
On the Roadliner /Stratoliner it is mounted totally different , it actually mounts from the top and it can't be bent as it has a slide that runs on top of the mount to cover the ignition key switch.
If you need to lower the light , what about using a washer between the housing and the bracket ? This should lower the housing.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What I am talking about is putting a washer or two between the light housing and the bracket on the bolts I have circled.That should pitch the housing downward.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What I am talking about is putting a washer or two between the light housing and the bracket on the bolts I have circled.That should pitch the housing downward.
That's a good idea if you need to lower your light. Unfortunately, I need to raise mine. I put tape on my garage door - before I pulled the OEM headlight - to show where the 'top' of the beam should be. Here's a picture of where the new light hits. That tape is 1 7/8 inches wide. I'm almost 3 inches down, at 6 feet from the door. On flat ground, the beam only goes out about 60 feet. FullBright says it should be between 30 and 35 meters (98.5 to 114.8 feet).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Jim is it possible to loosen the 2 that hold the base of the bracket next to the keys , adjust it up enough then tighten it.
Or as a possible a thin piece of inner tube between the outer housing ring and the light unit , this would pitch the light up and the inner tube should seal in the ring.
Just throwing ideas out at ya.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jim is it possible to loosen the 2 that hold the base of the bracket next to the keys , adjust it up enough then tighten it.
Or as a possible a thin piece of inner tube between the outer housing ring and the light unit , this would pitch the light up and the inner tube should seal in the ring.
Just throwing ideas out at ya.
@Jspree Yes, I tried that. In fact, I loosened all 4 screws and then tightened them up while pushing back on the top of the bucket. There's just not enough play to make much difference. I had even considered elongating the holes. But the rear holes also locates the opening for the ignition switch and, the front screws are centered in recesses. This weekend I'm going to try and see if I can get some spacers in back of the bucket at the lower 3 mounting screws - accessible from inside the bucket. (Between the 3 Dampers [Part 11 - highlighted] and the bucket.) That should push the bottom forward, raising the light beam.
Headlight.png

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
That's a very good idea, if it doesn't work post on here and I will take mine apart and see if I can figure out another place we can get a little upward movement. (y)

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's a very good idea, if it doesn't work post on here and I will take mine apart and see if I can figure out another place we can get a little upward movement. (y)
I actually had a revelation this afternoon. To make a long story gruesome...
I rode the 'Liner to work today instead of the 650. It was bright enough this morning I didn't need the headlight to see and, it was going to warm enough for me take a scenic route home from work. Anyway, as I was pulling out of my parking spot, it occurred to me... I'm in a parking garage. Level ground and, a big white wall in front of me. I don't know why but, I flipped on the High Beam. It's shining exactly where it's supposed to - straight out in front of me. If I find a way to move the bucket such that the Low Beam throws out as far as it should, my High Beam will be pointed up.
This points to being a Manufacturing Defect in this particular bulb assembly. I've emailed Full Blast this information but, it's 6 hours later in Denmark. Emailing at 4:30 my time is 10:30 (PM) their time. Don't expect to hear back before Monday.
What would really be great is if there was someone else within 100 miles of me with this headlight. Heck, even 150 miles! If the other person was willing, we could swap headlights and test both headlights in each bike. That would nail it down. Because I don't want to get in a back-and-forth of testing lights with Denmark. I'll just request a refund first. And that would be sad. I hope we can work something out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So, I've only heard from Full Bright once in the past 2 weeks now. He mailed me one week ago today apologizing for being out of the office and was going to review the flurry of emails I sent him. I sent another email today telling him that, unless he was willing to explain his delays as being due to the pandemic (I really have no idea how things are in Denmark), we really need to sort this out.

I rode the Stratoliner to work today so I could take some pictures in our parking garage to show how poorly my light is working. Please remember, when replacing the factory Halogen with the Full Bright LED, you lose headlight aiming feature. What the pictures show is, the High Beam is pointing exactly as should but, the low beam is only throwing out somewhere around 50 feet. I had to pull up to 39 feet from the wall to get a clear picture of the cut-off line of the low beams. Here are the pictures. Can anyone else that has this light take some similar pictures with distances?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second the Truck-Lite light. I replaced my factory headlight with one of those in the fall of 2018. Since it's on my commuter bike, I'm riding in the dark for the morning commute from late fall to early spring. That light it as awesome. It's got an amazing concentrated 'hot spot' with a less intense 'fan-out'. Every now and then, I'll get someone 'flash' their brights at me if they're coming toward me and I'm leaning in a right-hand turn - since the left side of the light is elevated but, there's not much I can do about that.
That's interesting. What diameter lens is that, or are they replacement build only?

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's interesting. What diameter lens is that, or are they replacement build only?
The Truck-Lite? They say it was designed with the Hummer and Jeeps Wrangler, CJ, TJ and JKs in mind and, also say it fits Harleys. For the V-Star 650 it's a standard 7" Round that fits just fine. Installation was pretty easy. You do have to remove a pesky little clip - See this thread: Headlight Clip
But other than that, it's a simple swap. I did have to re-aim after the replacement, though. I got the light from Amazon, currently going for $154: Truck-Lite (27270C)
I've been using it since October 2018 and I still love it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone else out there got an experience w/Full Brite? It seems to me that the jury is still out regarding their LED lights for Strats & Roadies

21 - 40 of 46 Posts