Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing this out there as I have searched up and down google, even contacted Yamaha with no luck and hopefully those with a '15-'17 1300 Deluxe could answer this.

I threw on the LED Midnight Passing Lamps on my '16 1300 Deluxe. I'm trying to figure out the color temperature of the LEDs so that I can find a matching LED kit for the headlight. Looks odd cruising down the road with 2 LED passing lamps and a halogen headlight.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,521 Posts
Interesting question, going to be tough to find out exactly. Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would say it's in the 5000K to 6000K range. I think the closest you will get is a 6000K bulb. Anything higher and the light starts looking blue-ish.

Reactions: S391

·
Super Moderator
7,645 Posts
I gotta agree with eruby. I bought an LED headlight bulb for my RoadStar to match the switchbacks in the turn signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Throwing this out there as I have searched up and down google, even contacted Yamaha with no luck and hopefully those with a '15-'17 1300 Deluxe could answer this.

I threw on the LED Midnight Passing Lamps on my '16 1300 Deluxe. I'm trying to figure out the color temperature of the LEDs so that I can find a matching LED kit for the headlight. Looks odd cruising down the road with 2 LED passing lamps and a halogen headlight.

I agree with the 6000k as well. I just put on the chrome led’s on my 2013 deluxe. I put the led in the headlamp as well, matches well.

I do however have what seems to be an output difference from passing lamp to passing lamp. The halo’s are the same brightness, but the main projector beam output is definitely less On one of them.

Anyone see this On yours?

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
468 Posts
I agree with the 6000k as well. I just put on the chrome led’s on my 2013 deluxe. I put the led in the headlamp as well, matches well.

I do however have what seems to be an output difference from passing lamp to passing lamp. The halo’s are the same brightness, but the main projector beam output is definitely less On one of them.

Anyone see this On yours?
as there is no such thing as a white LED the eye perceives the color as intensity. They may quitte possibley be putting out the same lumens but a slight color differance will make it look brighter to the eye.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The output against the white garage door isn’t even close though. I’ll take a picture tomorrow morning, couldn’t ride this morning, storms came thru.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
468 Posts
The output against the white garage door isn’t even close though. I’ll take a picture tomorrow morning, couldn’t ride this morning, storms came thru.
I am pretty sure you can download a light meter for phones, it may tell if it is brighter or just looks that way. Either way it would bother me.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Here is the light I get from all the lights, it’s a little hard to tell from this photo but you can see on the right upper side a nice tight spotlight, on the upper left it’s nearly nonexistent.

I need to disconnect the main headlight for a better side by side shot.

·
Registered
778 Posts

just an FYI that replacing a halogen bulb with an LED bulb in a headlamp is not legal as it is not DOT approved. To be legal, you need to replace the entire headlamp unit with a DOT approved unit. Check this recent thread out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
If this is the case then I'm glued screwed and tatooed because the 1300 has that odd shaped headlamp. The lamp housing is shaped for it as well. Do they make aftermarket lamps in that shape?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry, no help here. I stumbled on this while looking for an LED headlight bulb for my 650. There were some videos posted in the top of the thread that reviewed some assemblies. I'd start there, get some reputable manufacturers and check out their websites. Or just google 1300 headlight assembly and see if you get any hits.

·
Administrator
14,543 Posts
If this is the case then I'm glued screwed and tatooed because the 1300 has that odd shaped headlamp. The lamp housing is shaped for it as well. Do they make aftermarket lamps in that shape?
i would not get too hung up on what is legal. as long as it is a working light and has a distinction between high/low beam then it should pass every inspection. is there a police officer out there that is going to scour the headlamp lens for a "DOT" etch to write someone up for? but that link that was provided brings up good points about what is considered proper lighting. so you can safely upgrade your headlight without replacing the whole unit.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
291 Posts
^ ^ I agree. The link / topic I posted was for information, not as a " the sky is falling " post.

Sorry if I gave that impression. Personally, if I seen a light with testing results I was impressed with I'd buy it and use it.

IMO: a legitimate company would put out beam pattern measurements, the " color " of its beam, ect. No details, me no buy. And I would do my own ballpark testing ASAP to verify their specs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts