Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I saw a great youtube video from someone that had swapped out the T10 halogen from the speedo and replaced it with a blue LED. It looked real sharp and made the numbers MUCH easier to see at night (I personally can't see them very well riding at night). So I bought a pack of T10 Wedge 5-SMD 5050 LED Light bulbs:

Don't waste your time with these... they provided less illumination than the stock halogen so this was a bust. HOWEVER, I refuse to give up that easy, so I have ordered 3 different kinds of T10 LEDs to try out and see if any of them will work better. I purchased a similar LED as above except instead of 5 SMD, it has 20. I think it might be overkill, but we'll see. I also purchased a higher powered 2 watt flat style LED and a different flat with 6SMD LEDs all on the end.

I'll update once I get these in the next 30 days or so, but for now anyone thinking of doing this very simple swap, stay away from the ones in the pic above.

Dan

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I saw those with the 5 lights and skipped over them. Couldn't justify spending that much on a tiny light bulb, ya know :rolleyes: Plus I think I was kinda scared of it not fitting in the boot and then the housing. I chose the regular LED replacement and it worked great. I wanted blue, but at the parts store they only had regular white/yellow'ish and red. I didn't want red.

This was my 06. I was happy with it, then again, the bulb was burnt out so anything was better than no light :D I think it came in a two pack for like $6.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those with the 5 lights and skipped over them. Couldn't justify spending that much on a tiny light bulb, ya know :rolleyes: Plus I think I was kinda scared of it not fitting in the boot and then the housing. I chose the regular LED replacement and it worked great. I wanted blue, but at the parts store they only had regular white/yellow'ish and red. I didn't want red.

This was my 06. I was happy with it, then again, the bulb was burnt out so anything was better than no light :D I think it came in a two pack for like $6.
Well these were a pack of 10 shipped for $2 lol! So not really breaking the bank ;) What do you mean by "regular LED replacement"?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
lol ya prices are way better online. When I did mine it was a I wanna get it done right now thing, so I just picked up some bulbs at the store.

I mean regular 194 replacement bulbs, that are LED instead of the incandescent oem bulb. Like these:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/turn-signal-dash-light-mini-bulb/sylvania-led-ashtray-light-led-mini-bulb_/449375_678833_19973/

As opposed to the 5 sided micro button leds.

Or size 74, whatever it is, I forget. But that style, basic wedge bulb connector with single glass covered LED.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol ya prices are way better online. When I did mine it was a I wanna get it done right now thing, so I just picked up some bulbs at the store.

I mean regular 194 replacement bulbs, that are LED instead of the incandescent oem bulb. Like these:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/turn-signal-dash-light-mini-bulb/sylvania-led-ashtray-light-led-mini-bulb_/449375_678833_19973/

As opposed to the 5 sided micro button leds.

Or size 74, whatever it is, I forget. But that style, basic wedge bulb connector with single glass covered LED.
Ahhh ok I see what you mean. I have something similar coming, so hopefully that works :) But yeah the 5 sided ones were a complete bust :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts