Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 2 biggest upgrades in headlights today is to either get an LED or HID system. so is one decidedly 'better' than the other at this point? the LED seems to be cheaper and easier to install and have less parts. but can anyone say for sure if it actually puts out better or more light output than the HID system? is the HID option slowly going away in place of the LED? it just seems more people are going for the LED option now instead of HID.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have hid on my bikes, 5,000 lumens with a 55w ballast. The most I've seen with an led was 3,800 lumens. Yeah the led is easier to install but hid is brighter. If you a hands on person then hid is better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have hid on my bikes, 5,000 lumens with a 55w ballast. The most I've seen with an led was 3,800 lumens. Yeah the led is easier to install but hid is brighter. If you a hands on person then hid is better.

I have the 3800 lumen LED bulb on my bike. It is plenty bright enough to see everything around at night. I get complaints about how bright it is on low during the daytime... More than enough. And it was a plug-and-play bulb!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Love my LED head light and driving lights. Never did HID, but WAY brighter than the incandescent bulbs. Great when coming home from work (It gets dark in CT at about 5 PM nowadays).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's a video I made a while back for some other forum. HID 55w 5,000 Lumens 6,000k

. I dont have a video of the light out put forward of the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Both are awesome at night, HID tends to be brighter, LED uses less power, is pure white light and very little heat output in comparison.
I like the new LED lights for the low power draw and heat produced. One of my riding buddies installed an HID and melted his stock plastic reflector. It might have been installed wrong, I can't say.
But I've always been a big fan of LED lights too ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts