Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Removing the crankcase covers to get them powder coated. Drained the oil, removed the right side cover no problem.

Trying to get the left side off and it seems to want to pull back on, like it's on a spring or something. Thought it was just stuck on the shifter spline. I don't want to force it off and have **** fly all over the living room (yes it's in my living room :cool:).

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I have never done this before.

Appreciate the help guys!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy there Louisiana, like I said I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have never done this before. Maybe I assumed people saw my previous posts that have helped me in the past, would know I have a 1999 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try tapping around it with a rubber mallet or some such that and some penetrating oil should do the trick that is, unless there is a cir clip or something you missed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the stator assembly is a ring of magnets that fits into the rotor. Got the cover off, having a bitch of a time though trying to get the pickup assembly pan screws and the stator pan screws off themselves. Probably some blue factory lock rite on those. Hands too oily, buddy is coming by tomorrow to give me a hand. Maybe just give em a tap with a hammer on the screwdriver to loosen?

Now, do those pan screws need to have lock tite on them again when I reassemble? I am assuming so but just want to make sure. Also, is there a specific way to reassemble? I've heard you might have to turn the crank so the pieces fit together in order to get the cover back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts