Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He sounds so proud, Mr. Bayliss, in his detailed and excellent product description, and walk-through of the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental.......so, ...--->what happened? Six (6) month delay to deliver, in the dead of Winter------> happened....

Was this truly fabulous, Grand Touring bike, itself, and its feature list, a 'meaningful, introduction year, sales number' failure? Nope...it was Yamaha's bringing it to market 'FAILURE'..... ***it was that***,....plain and simple...:

I'd like to contact John Bayliss, (or Baylis)----> Product Manager for Yamaha Canada, ...and hear his take, on Yamaha bailing after one model year....yep, that could be an interesting phone call.....

Yamaha USA/CAN, basically has shown you, how a multi-billion $$$ motorcycle company, can pick up a marketing 'shotgun', and take off, both their two feet....classic....simply....classic. Class dismissed........

Obituary: The 2018 Star Venture Trans Continental
Born: June 1, 2018
Died: Jan 1/2019

R.I.P.

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't know what to tell you Mr. Excellence. I did a quick google search asking the simple question of: is star yamaha making a 2019 Venture and actually got one response that sounded positive in that it stated there was going to be a new "S" model introduced sometime this fall,, sounded promising.. The only problem was, that post was dated in the summer of 2017 according to google and I didn't click on it to see who wrote it (I dont make a habit of clicking on posts that dont seem to make sense, I am always afraid of my computer getting zapped or something). On the other hand, if you go to the factory website of Yamahamotorsports.com and search "touring" it shows, as you mention, no 2019's when the rest of the categories are all showing new 2019 models..
I know you are riding one of those gorgeous new scoots and should have a reliable contact number laying around for Star? It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say if asked about this by someone who has already invested deeply in this product.
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!!:(

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't know what to tell you Mr. Excellence. I did a quick google search asking the simple question of: is star yamaha making a 2019 Venture and actually got one response that sounded positive in that it stated there was going to be a new "S" model introduced sometime this fall,, sounded promising.. The only problem was, that post was dated in the summer of 2017 according to google and I didn't click on it to see who wrote it (I dont make a habit of clicking on posts that dont seem to make sense, I am always afraid of my computer getting zapped or something). On the other hand, if you go to the factory website of Yamahamotorsports.com and search "touring" it shows, as you mention, no 2019's when the rest of the categories are all showing new 2019 models..
I know you are riding one of those gorgeous new scoots and should have a reliable contact number laying around for Star? It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say if asked about this by someone who has already invested deeply in this product.
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!!:(
Since my wife and I intend to keep this bike for the next 10-15 years, any residual trade in, or private sale $$$ recovery, is of no more concern to us. By that time, we will have over 150,000 fabulous memory-packed miles aboard her. So, in otherwords, pragmatically, we have suffered no financial loss whether the bike remains an active model, or not. I/we feel fortunate indeed to be the proud owners of one...and this past summer riding season, took three major vacation trips, and countless weekend sojourns, with 100 percent excellent reliability, of Charlotte bringing us home safe and sound, each and every time! The 2018 SVTC is the most modern, feature packed large bore, V-Twin genre. If someone loves the V-Twin, as much as my wife and I have discovered that we certainly do....this is the Grand Dame to own. In Canada, they sold well, my dealer could have sold three more, had he been able to get them. He felt lucky that another dealer had one, that dealer's son used as a demo..and then sold to him...and out the door to one of his other customers. I/we have seen three other SVTC's and one Eluder in our Canadian travels...and not one of those dual riding teams had a scowl upon their faces...but in fact...had BEAMING smiles and thumb's up waves to the both of us. Yep...as we passed each other...we KNEW...that we both, couples were riding the finest V-Twin Grand Luxury Tour-purposed motorcycle, yet built.

Yamaha shot themselves in the foot with a fatal, stumbled launch of this flag ship Grand Touring model...and paid the price for it....in lack luster, and anemic sales in the USA. Today, when it was apparent, that Yamaha has walked away from producing further model years of the SVTC...I went out to my garage...sat upon our beaut...sipped my coffee, turned on the Sat Radio....leaned back...and mused upon the coming April,...and the ****-load of miles the rear wheel is gonna put behind it, next year with all the planned tours we have already spread across the rec room table! :)

Then, with a large smile, I shut the tunes down....stepped outta the saddle, turned out the lights of the garage...and was glad that WE...had the pleasure to own one this past riding season...and look forward to the many years of touring destinations, and memories that will be created, aboard 'The Mile Gulper'...the Queen of the Tour, our 2018 red Star Venture Trans Continental.

Cheers, Lonestar...!!! :)

Joe

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, or is it since Yamaha didn't release a new model at a time when many other manufacturers release their new year models, you've just decided that it's discontinued. Please share since I got sucked into watching the YouTube vid thinking there was some information on the bike being discontinued based on fact. In a previous post, Devious1 provided the most likely scenario and information on when Yamaha will release a new SVTC model.

Lonestar, Just an FYI...that "S" model write up was someone's spoof/hope on what they would like to see on a future model.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, or is it since Yamaha didn't release a new model at a time when many other manufacturers release their new year models, you've just decided that it's discontinued. Please share since I got sucked into watching the YouTube vid thinking there was some information on the bike being discontinued based on fact. In a previous post, Devious1 provided the most likely scenario and information on when Yamaha will release a new SVTC model.

Lonestar, Just an FYI...that "S" model write up was someone's spoof/hope on what they would like to see on a future model.
Let Yamaha or their official representatives, make a public statement to repudiate that the model is NOT dead, past 2018 production. Let's see Afaycasaym, if an official statement from their P.R. group, will be made public, and ease the fears that all present 2018 owners of the SVTC introductory model year, have NOT been abandoned. Let them make it known, upon YouTube, or upon either of their official USA or Canadian Yamaha sites....let them, make public why there is no next year, model year being produced, or offered to the public. But until they do...ROTFLMAO!----don't hold your breath...that could prove fatal...;)

The mark is dead....no major player, motorcycle company on earth, would tear confidence away from the buying public, with no offering of a following model year, after introductory to the market. The model is finished, and Yamaha has closed the door to the assembly line.... Let them prove my assertion wrong....let them! Again, don't hold your breath, in the waiting....Yamaha is famous for killing off models, at the twitch of the C.E.O's and C.F.O's corners of their mouths.... This modus operandi of theirs, sorry to say, aint' new...;)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!!/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
I know the post you’re speaking of. You need to read the end of it again where he CLARIFIES .. it’s just HIS wishful thinking.
There is no “S” model.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!!/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
I called Yamah directly last Monday nd spoke to them about 2019. I also asked about software upgrades needed and shared with them the perception being shared internationally regarding this bike.
She said she’d get beach to me but I haven’t heard anything.... just crickets!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Yamah directly last Monday nd spoke to them about 2019. I also asked about software upgrades needed and shared with them the perception being shared internationally regarding this bike.
She said she’d get beach to me but I haven’t heard anything.... just crickets!
Chief...if you listen, really carefully, (LOL...) with you being a retired ex-Navy...listen...and oh...there it is....a Yamaha cornet player at Corporate, playing------> Taps.....

"Goodnight, Irene"... ;)

There is a sort of, Silver Lining to all this though...and that is: As all of us, we 2018 Yamaha Orphans, keep plying thousands of miles on the each of our SVTC's and Eluders....it will become pretty apparent, that they are a rock solid, mile-after-mile mount...and when other V-Twin brand riders, finally catch up to the fact that our V-Twins are dynamite to ride and own....if they want one...and some will....we don't have to worry about any newer model year SVTC's and Eluders...they will have to deal with all we first production run, owners....So, in otherwords, Yamaha just culled the 'herd'....lol. You know...the glass that is half empty, or half full.... That was the half full 'take'...:) When we finally decide to sell ours, I'll just tell the next excited rider....that the 1,456,934 miles that Charlotte has on her...has FINALLY freed up the engine, and they can be assured that the bike is now fully broken in. The best MPG's are in their future! I know that that will cement the deal...:)

Joe

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
The way I feel about being a Vstar orphan, is that Yamaha thought they could make money building high quality cruiser bikes. They invested a lot of time and money and resources into the Vstar line, and they met their design goals: making the most reliable cruiser line you can get.

The fact that the market did not support them is sad, but they have left many thousands of great motorcycles in the hands of riders who are still enjoying the the fruits of a great engineering and production product cycle.

If (I think that should be a big IF)... IF yamaha has dropped the new venture, then all the more, you have one, you have all the benefit of the expensive Yamaha put into the design of your bike, and you got one.

IF they now have decided the product is not going to be profitable and they drop it after only one year, then you really made out. The bike you paid $20 something thousand for cost Yamaha $100,000 or more EACH to design, tool up, produce and sell, and you got one for 1/4 what it cost them to make it. (When you divide the development cost over the number of bikes produced).

The only way it could be better for you would be if Yamaha hand-made a few prototypes, then decided not to produce the bike, and somehow you got your hands on one of them.

Its the same with all the Vstar bikes. Twenty years from now people will be saying "I wish I never sold my VS650 / 1100 / Road Star / Striker / Royal Star...." you cant even buy a bike like it now at any price.

If you have a Vstar bike in good condition: YOU WIN!

I dont see how you can fault Yamaha for not 'selling' enough bikes. If they made a great motorcycle, and people are not buying enough for them to make a profit, you cant cram a motorcycle down a customers throat if they dont want it enough to cough up the money.

I already know that 20 years from now I will be saying "I wish I had bought that 1996 Royal Star with 15k miles on it for $1500 back in 2018 that was on Craigslist..." because I know people will be drooling over these bikes when you cant find them anymore.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The way I feel about being a Vstar orphan, is that Yamaha thought they could make money building high quality cruiser bikes. They invested a lot of time and money and resources into the Vstar line, and they met their design goals: making the most reliable cruiser line you can get.

The fact that the market did not support them is sad, but they have left many thousands of great motorcycles in the hands of riders who are still enjoying the the fruits of a great engineering and production product cycle.

If (I think that should be a big IF)... IF yamaha has dropped the new venture, then all the more, you have one, you have all the benefit of the expensive Yamaha put into the design of your bike, and you got one.

IF they now have decided the product is not going to be profitable and they drop it after only one year, then you really made out. The bike you paid $20 something thousand for cost Yamaha $100,000 or more EACH to design, tool up, produce and sell, and you got one for 1/4 what it cost them to make it. (When you divide the development cost over the number of bikes produced).

The only way it could be better for you would be if Yamaha hand-made a few prototypes, then decided not to produce the bike, and somehow you got your hands on one of them.

Its the same with all the Vstar bikes. Twenty years from now people will be saying "I wish I never sold my VS650 / 1100 / Road Star / Striker / Royal Star...." you cant even buy a bike like it now at any price.

If you have a Vstar bike in good condition: YOU WIN!

I dont see how you can fault Yamaha for not 'selling' enough bikes. If they made a great motorcycle, and people are not buying enough for them to make a profit, you cant cram a motorcycle down a customers throat if they dont want it enough to cough up the money.

I already know that 20 years from now I will be saying "I wish I had bought that 1996 Royal Star with 15k miles on it for $1500 back in 2018 that was on Craigslist..." because I know people will be drooling over these bikes when you cant find them anymore.
KCW, as usual you make good points, but here is where I believe Yamaha did screw up a bit and missed the mark...it's in their pricing. Especially with the decline in sales of big bikes across-the-board, and hoping they could be competitive with HD in the V-Twin market. We know Yamaha produces great bikes usually at a great price. If they had used an MSRP of $24,999 for the SVTC that would have caught many more potential buyer's attention. Obviously the price can be negotiated, but that is the first thing you see regardless of all the features included.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the sky is falling on this model like some just yet. One minute convinced they are about to release a new model and the next minute convinced it's discontinued because they haven't released any info. Yamaha has always been slow to update and few manufacturers release info until they're ready regardless of how much we feel they owe us to do so...I did notice your use of 'If'.

I'll be very surprised, especially with the the amount of money Yamaha has invested, if they don't put out a few more year models. Knowing Yamaha, there might not be dramatic updates and styling other than color changes when they do release the next years model which I believe will be a 2020 model due to their late release and delays on the 2018.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I dont know the policy at Yamaha, but a few big corporations that I worked for in the engineering department, information on new products that were in development, ANY information, was held company secret.

If an employee released ANY info, to anyone, on the next products that would be introduced to the market, they would be fired.

The reason is simple: A company can only sell what they have in the hands of the sales department today. If you have a new product coming out or a new model year that has important improvements, then the sale of the existing product grinds to a stop. A dead stop.

This would destroy the end of year sales and in the long run would seriously damage the sales and profit for the company.

If someone is thinking of buying your product, or needs to buy your product, and they get any inkling if they wait a few weeks, months, or even a year, they can get something better, they will wait - and your sales department is screwed!

If Yamaha has gone silent on the 2019 model, this could be the reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Obituary: The 2018 Star Venture Trans Continental
Born: June 1, 2018
Died: Jan 1/2019

R.I.P.

Joe
I see the cabin fever is setting in early this year. You've only been off of your moto meds for a short time and look at the dark place your mind has gone already. :wink:

You should come to the southwestern U.S. We are having a cold snap, the high temp is expected to only be 59 degrees F. I think I'll go for a ride. :smile: After I finish hanging this crown molding.:frown:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I see the cabin fever is setting in early this year. You've only been off of your moto meds for a short time and look at the dark place your mind has gone already. :wink:

You should come to the southwestern U.S. We are having a cold snap, the high temp is expected to only be 59 degrees F. I think I'll go for a ride. :smile: After I finish hanging this crown molding.:frown:
LOL....that made me laugh, Devious1 :) and...just came in from one last shot at mulching leaves on the ranch...especially near the tree lines. Done...6 hours later...and now the snow can fall, and the cross-country skis can be set out the garage door. :) Winter...they forecast is going to happen tonight, and into early tomorrow morn...

(my baritone voice...not great, but still not finger nails on a chock board...lol)------"...dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh... Daisy likes snowy back lanes...clip-clopping all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Fresh air...and reins in your hands....ah....Christmas Season approaches!

My only concern now, regarding my SVTC, is that there will be parts...and ENOUGH parts produced by Daddy Yamaha Big Bucks, for little orphan Annie Joe....to keep our SVTC in maintenance and/or repair for over 10-15 years that we need to own it, to counter-act, the egregious loss of retained value, as the Market sees and judges retained product equity. One thing though...I will never purchase another Yamaha Corporation Motorcycle again,...that is one thing the reader can take to the bank. Running for the hills, after only the first year of release has devastated anybody who thought they would within 3-5 years, try to sell the bike privately, or convince a Yamaha dealer to take it in on trade,and not get HOSED, to almost catch pneumonia.

Post Edit: No matter how I feel now...regarding the parent company....my opinion of the 2018 Star Venture Trans Continental, is once more, that it is a simply stellar and feature/value rich, Grand Tour motorcycle, that despite all, will continue to give my wife and I, abundant joy-of-use. That has never been a downside. :)

I have purchased motorcycles from entities with the names, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, Suzuki and NEVER did any of them orphan their customer after not even a 12 month period had past. I own a Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental, and because of Yamaha's business practices, have no choice but to keep it for at least 10-12 years, to off-set the loss in value of at least 50-70 percent of the $31,999.00 CDN that I paid for the ride., because the model is no longer produced for the 2019 model year, is out of their 2019 model catalog, and is E.O.L. (Yamaha has NOT communicated on any OFFICIAL channel, that this is not the case...and they are only passing by 2019, so as to give left over SVTC 2018 stock, a year to be absorbed by the market. Has anybody seen a communication from Yamaha to this effect? No? E.O.L. for the model) Yes...a dollar short of $32,000.00 $$$'s. I won't be doing any more business with Yamaha Ltd, as to what next motor runs behind my boat's transom, what field generator I might buy, or anything else that I would have entertained to cost out. Done with Yamaha. This production inaction, so soon after their bungled release for 2018, has disgusted me. The easy thing for Yamaha to do, and quickly so...IF they had any intention of producing any further SVTC's, would be simply to advise their P.R. department to allay any fears that have been voiced on internet motorcycle forums that align with their name brand. The silence Devious, is because they have no news, to belay the statements that are being postulated, not because they are so sophisticated and , 'coy'.... They took peoples many thousands of dollars, in the first year, and slammed the barn doors closed...turned out the lights...and left the ranch........ There is no 2019 SVTC or Eluder in their current 2019 model line up. The model is E.O.L'ed...

What Yamaha 'might' be doing, by not having a next year SVTC/Eluder model in the 2019 Model Offering Catalog, or people's opinion, on what they 'might' be doing in the background, without official proclamation by Yamaha Corporation, is simply semantics. What IS absolutely apparent...to all...and is NOT semantics, is that 'officially' there is no further SVTC/Eluder model, that will be produced, and offered for sale in the 2019 Model Catalog. That my friends, is valid, apparent to all that will view their 2019 model line up's, and not open to conjecture, as a Yamaha brand, loyal apologist, or variance. That my friends, is fact..... (E)nd (O)f (L)ife production cycle. That...is fact....

Ok...back to happy things like looking forward to lots of winter sleigh rides with my wife, my two daughters and son...and the army of grandchildren those three fertile children have blessed us with....: "Ho, Ho...and Ho!" "Hey Daisy (our Belgian)...c'mere girl...daddy has a carrot in one hand, and a bridle in the other...c'mere....mmmmmm, doesn't this carrot look...good?!?!?!?" ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just received the official Yamaha Fall/Winter Magazine for 2018...and this is my 'official' response to receiving it....

Dear Yamaha; and to my fellow SVTC owner...ChiefGunner (Tony),

Tony,...I just got in the mail today, from Yamaha Canada, a news and new models/toys from Yamaha Feature Magazine, their Fall/Winter Edition. This edition shows a fishing boat, geared out with three Yamaha outboards

I just thumbed through it. I imagine that you will get a USA version (as you are registered with your 2018 SVTC) Tony...I am saddened to report that not ONLY is there no mention of an up-and-coming SVCT/Eluder model...but more importantly...way more importantly, there is no mention, or picture representation of the 2018 SVTC AT ALL!!!! Nothing...as though, the model never has existed. God...but did I have the correct feeling to all this...deep in the bones. They're going to act from now on, as though the model never existed, or even had come to market in 2018. Tony...to not even article, or mention the bike in any of the From the President on the second page, through all the articles about all the NEW 2019 motorcycles, there was a Reader ('show us your Yamaha!) photo contest, and there was pictures of the enduro bikes, snow machines, four wheelers, but not one picture (probably some were sent in...) of an owner standing beside, or behind their 2018 SVTC or Eluder.

Now...Tony,.....this is their Top-Of-The-Line NEW model for 2018....with multi-thousand dollar reveal photo-ops, and thousands (literally) spent to bring 20 motorcycle magazine review editors and their wives/girlfriends, to a 750 mile, three day trip from Boise Idaho, to somewhere in Montana, last July/August time frame) and yet not one article, one photograph, one owner and his/her purchased SVTC/Eluder is depicted in the latest Yamaha Fall/Winter magazine that just arrived in my mailbox....NOTHING....like this bike never existed. Well reader...what do you think, now? Do you think that Yamaha is proud of their own creation....their own Top-Of-The-Line Grand Touring Bike?!?!?

On the back page, there is an advertisement, 'ON SELECT YAMAHA PRODUCTS From September 4th to November 30, 2018...Eligible Models: ALL -NEW 2018-2019, Exclusive to COSTCO MEMBERS. Some models have $400.00 off, The motorcycles have $300.00 dollars off, two outboard motors, have $200.00 off. No where to be found in the SAVE Up-to listings, is the 2018 SVTC/Eluder models.

In this Fall/Winter offering, they are highlighting the 2019 TRACER 900 GT, and the 2019 YZR-R3, the 2019 YZ250F They have a full feature article by Vincent Trepanier (Marketing Events Coordinator for Yamaha Canada) highlighting OVERLAND ADVENTURE as the title of the article with pictures. In not one page of the Yamaha Fall/Winter official publication, is even one word...let alone, a single picture, of their 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental, or Eluder models...let alone with any owner standing beside, or behind their $31,999.00 SVTC (CDN MSRP). Folks...it is like this model is a grand embarrassment to Yamaha and to Yamaha Sales, and it's now, just another ghost haunting the Yamaha Mansion, on the hill.....

Of course, let everyone reading this thread, believe what their Spidey Sense tells them, what the 'truth' of this model's continued existence is...but for this reader...YamahaParExcellence, this magazine, and the lack of one literal word...or a picture of what was touted merely last June/18, with multi-thousand (million?!?) Model Reveal promotions, magazine review editor organized rides through the mountains of Idaho in July and/or August (three day event)...and not one mention...that this model has ever even EXISTED in their model line up....is now, the Smoking Gun. Bye-Bye, the beautiful Yamaha Star Venture V-Twin Luxury Grand Tour, with its Eluder 'cousin'.... R.I.P.

For those of us lucky enough to own one as you read this....it is my personal opinion, that this is the finest Grand Tour (et all) Luxury motorcycle platform, that I (and my wife concurs) have ever owned, including my prior 5 model year GoldWings. This is the first Tour Bike that I have ever owned, that not only dished up what a Grand Touring motorcycle should be feature-set with...but eclipses even the GoldWing, to deliver excitement and rider sensation, to the the Tour. None of my Goldwings (and we loved each one...from 1975, to 2008) delivered the 'emotional' aspect that Yamaha had hoped to inject into the touring genre. They succeeded in spades! When moving on out, with the 2018 SVTC, you the rider, feel the bike is alive...part of your ride...and not so dead quiet, so dead smooth, that you could be riding upon the roof of a car of your choosing. That was missing on all my Goldwings...what my 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental brings to my wife and I,now. I am so saddened, that Yamaha 'cut bait' merely MONTHS, let alone two or more years down the road to end production, end official marketing, end any MENTION or pictorial of the bike in even the FALL/Winter edition of their 2018 Yamaha Magazine. I will always think of this 2018 Fall/Winter Yamaha Magazine as the SMOKING GUN issue...the true sign of Yamaha Corporation abandonment of the Yamaha Star Venture/Eluder, and merely MONTHS, past the 'trumpets blaring' video logged, YouTube and on their official sites release of the model's reveal to the riding public.

Truly, I am so egregiously disgusted with the manufacturer at this time....and they shouldn't bother to send any more 'push' magazines touting how 'wonderful...how great, how exciting' is their highlighted offerings.... "Yamaha, I own one of your 2018 motorcycles, that I paid $36,160.00 (with Ontario 13 % GST/HST tax included), on pre-order, and now you don't even post one word, one article, post launch and first season, rider owned, not ONE picture of one of those purchasers of this bike, standing behind it, but yet, you post multi pictures of owners of your off road and Adventure models."

Yamaha, you have lost a life-long motorcycle enthusiast for the Touring Genre, (and any other consumer interest that I might have had into the future with you, like a new outboard that I am going to start sourcing over the Winter, for the 2019 boating season) that invested with you, on your most expensive motorcycle in the 2018 line up...ONLY, ONLY to find, that you didn't mirror back that you believed in us....all of us, that stepped up, and laid out a King's Ransom, for your ride.... You have buried the bike, at the side of the canyon road....with no grave marker, even in the form of an article in your Fall/Winter release, no grave marker of even a picture of the 2018 SVTC/Eluder with a paying and current owner....nothing.... That cannot be said for those smiling owners of their off road and Adventure mounts that Yamaha sold to them,.....displayed in this edition....

I will continue to enjoy this fabulous bike...continue to ride this fabulous Tour along with my wife....as long as you have the class to continue at least, model support in the form of O.E.M. replacement parts, down to nuts and bolts. We will ride the bike, as long as it is road worthy...but, for this type of motorcycle consumer and owner abandonment of any further development and release of a bike, merely 5 months old (June to November, 2018), I will never...never....purchase another product from you....never. You have lost me for the rest of my life, as a motorcycle consumer, and active boat owner. Of course, you (Yamaha USA/CANADA) can do anything you want, and absolutely at any time...(as the law says, as your lawyer's would say...as you'd see in micro-print at the bottom of an ad...'without Prejudice ... but I...EQUALLY 'without Prejudice' can decide that a company is not worthy of my financial support and product acquisition. That is also my 'right' within the confines of Consumer Commerce.

So proud (Yamaha Canada/USA) that not one trace of its existence (your 2018 SVTC/Eluder V-Twin) is noted, or visually portrayed in your 'OFFICIAL' Yamaha 2018 Fall/Winter magazine. How does your 'Spidey Sense' speak to you now, reader?!?!? Still drinking the Jonestown Kool-A*d that Yamaha is going to release further SVTC's/Euder...when they seemingly are too embarrassed to even display one, or mention of one, in their 'push' release following the June 2018 model reveal....sorry, but I don't like spiked Kool-A*d...

Yamaha,....keep your #*@ new products and inside front page 'Letter from the PRESIDENT'....who said, and I type-quote: "It has been so exciting to have been a witness to the so many new product launches over the years." He mentions motorcycles by name, he mentions the first four-stroke snowmobile, he mentions ATV's, by name, he mentions their innovative Marine products in general. He never mentions the most recent and new Full Tour V-Twin release, and released in the same year this magazine is printed. Funny how this 'oversight' could have slipped by his assistant, and magazine editor...

I will now just enjoy along with my wife, our present and current Tour mount. We will ride, what the both of think, and still do...that this (our 2018 SVTC in red) is the best touring mount, that we as a couple, have ever owned...for ride, for features...for comfort, for EXCITEMENT, and lament that Yamaha and those that make live/kill decisions on product development, also didn't seem to share our opinion(s).

From this thread on...I will only post what we do/enjoy/destinations while doing so, in the most positive and supportive 'light'. That is my true nature, and my mind set will go back there. I just needed to get ' a few things' off of my chest, and you all have helped me do so...and thank you for that!!! :crying:

Cheers, :smile::grin:

Joe and Dee-Dee

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just got in the mail today, from Yamaha Canada, a news and new models/toys from Yamaha Feature Magazine, their Fall/Winter Edition. This edition shows a fishing boat, geared out with three Yamaha outboards

I just thumbed through it. I imagine that you will get a USA version (as you are registered with your 2018 SVTC) Tony...I am saddened to report that not ONLY is there no mention of an up-and-coming SVCT/Eluder model...but more importantly...way more importantly, there is no mention, or picture representation of the 2018 SVTC AT ALL!!!! Nothing...as though, the model never has existed. God...but did I have the correct feeling to all this...deep in the bones. They're going to act from now on, as though the model never existed, or even had come to market in 2018. Tony...to not even article, or mention the bike in any of the From the President on the second page, through all the articles about all the NEW 2019 motorcycles, there was a Reader ('show us your Yamaha!) photo contest, and there was pictures of the enduro bikes, snow machines, four wheelers, but not one picture (probably some were sent in...) of an owner standing beside, or behind their 2018 SVTC or Eluder.

Now...Tony,.....this is their Top-Of-The-Line NEW model for 2018....with multi-thousand dollar reveal photo-ops, and thousands (literally) spent to bring 20 motorcycle magazine review editors and their wives/girlfriends, to a 750 mile, three day trip from Boise Idaho, to somewhere in Montana, last July/August time frame) and yet not one article, one photograph, one owner and his/her purchased SVTC/Eluder is depicted in the latest Yamaha Fall/Winter magazine that just arrived in my mailbox....NOTHING....like this bike never existed. Well reader...what do you think, now? Do you think that Yamaha is proud of their own creation....their own Top-Of-The-Line Grand Touring Bike?!?!?

In not one page of the Yamaha Fall/Winter official publication, is even one word...let alone, a single picture, of their 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental, or Eluder models...let alone with any owner standing beside, or behind their $31,999.00 SVTC (CDN MSRP). Folks...it is like this model is a grand embarrassment to Yamaha and to Yamaha Sales, and it's now, just another ghost haunting the Yamaha Mansion, on the hill.....

Of course, let everyone reading this thread, believe what their Spidey Sense tells them, what the 'truth' of this model's continued existence is...but for this reader...YamahaParExcellence, this magazine, and the lack of one literal word...or a picture of what was touted merely last June/18, with multi-thousand (million?!?) Model Reveal promotions, magazine review editor organized rides through the mountains of Idaho in July and/or August (three day event)...and not one mention...that this model has ever even EXISTED in their model line up....is now, the Smoking Gun. Bye-Bye, the beautiful Yamaha Star Venture V-Twin Luxury Grand Tour, with its Eluder 'cousin'.... R.I.P.

I am so saddened, that Yamaha 'cut bait' merely MONTHS, let alone two or more years down the road to end production, end official marketing, end any MENTION or pictorial of the bike in even the FALL/Winter edition of their 2018 Yamaha Magazine. I will always think of this 2018 Fall/Winter Yamaha Magazine as the SMOKING GUN issue...the true sign of Yamaha Corporation abandonment of the Yamaha Star Venture/Eluder, and merely MONTHS, past the 'trumpets blaring' video logged, YouTube and on their official sites release of the model's reveal to the riding public.

Truly, I am so egregiously disgusted with the manufacturer at this time....and they shouldn't bother to send any more 'push' magazines touting how 'wonderful...how great, how exciting' is their highlighted offerings.... "Yamaha, I own one of your 2018 motorcycles, that I paid $36,160.00 (with Ontario 13 % GST/HST tax included), on pre-order, and now you don't even post one word, one article, post launch and first season, rider owned, not ONE picture of one of those purchasers of this bike, standing behind it, but yet, you post multi pictures of owners of your off road and Adventure models."

Yamaha, you have lost a life-long motorcycle enthusiast for the Touring Genre, (and any other consumer interest that I might have had into the future with you, like a new outboard that I am going to start sourcing over the Winter, for the 2019 boating season) that invested with you, on your most expensive motorcycle in the 2018 line up...ONLY, ONLY to find, that you didn't mirror back that you believed in us....all of us, that stepped up, and laid out a King's Ransom, for your ride.... You have buried the bike, at the side of the canyon road....with no grave marker, even in the form of an article in your Fall/Winter release, no grave marker of even a picture of the 2018 SVTC/Eluder with a paying and current owner....nothing.... That cannot be said for those smiling owners of their off road and Adventure mounts that Yamaha sold to them,.....displayed in this edition....

I will continue to enjoy this fabulous bike...continue to ride this fabulous Tour along with my wife....as long as you have the class to continue at least, model support in the form of O.E.M. replacement parts, down to nuts and bolts. We will ride the bike, as long as it is road worthy...but, for this type of motorcycle consumer and owner abandonment of any further development and release of a bike, merely 5 months old (June to November, 2018), I will never...never....purchase another product from you....never. You have lost me for the rest of my life, as a motorcycle consumer, and active boat owner. Of course, you (Yamaha USA/CANADA) can do anything you want, and absolutely at any time...(as the law says, as your lawyer's would say...as you'd see in micro-print at the bottom of an ad...'without Prejudice ... but I...EQUALLY 'without Prejudice' can decide that a company is not worthy of my financial support and product acquisition. That is also my 'right' within the confines of Consumer Commerce.

So proud (Yamaha Canada/USA) that not one trace of its existence (your 2018 SVTC/Eluder V-Twin) is noted, or visually portrayed in your 'OFFICIAL' Yamaha 2018 Fall/Winter magazine. How does your 'Spidey Sense' speak to you now, reader?!?!? Still drinking the Jonestown Kool-A*d that Yamaha is going to release further SVTC's/Euder...when they seemingly are too embarrassed to even display one, or mention of one, in their 'push' release following the June 2018 model reveal....sorry, but I don't like spiked Kool-A*d...

Yamaha,....keep your #*@ new products and inside front page 'Letter from the PRESIDENT'....who said, and I type-quote: "It has been so exciting to have been a witness to the so many new product launches over the years." He mentions motorcycles by name, he mentions the first four-stroke snowmobile, he mentions ATV's, by name, he mentions their innovative Marine products in general. He never mentions the most recent and new Full Tour V-Twin release, and released in the same year this magazine is printed. Funny how this 'oversight' could have slipped by his assistant, and magazine editor...

I will now just enjoy along with my wife, our present and current Tour mount. We will ride, what the both of think, and still do...that this (our 2018 SVTC in red) is the best touring mount, that we as a couple, have ever owned...for ride, for features...for comfort, for EXCITEMENT, and lament that Yamaha and those that make live/kill decisions on product development, also didn't seem to share our opinion(s).

From this thread on...I will only post what we do/enjoy/destinations while doing so, in the most positive and supportive 'light'. That is my true nature, and my mind set will go back there. I just needed to get ' a few things' off of my chest, and you all have helped me do so...and thank you for that!!! :crying:

Cheers, :smile::grin:

Joe and Dee-Dee
While by my very nature, I do not usually take things like this quite as personal as you do Mr. Excellence:wink:, but I do understand where you are coming from. I especially find it interesting in that you stated that you are up in Canada and that the Yamaha magazine you received was a Canadian issue? From everything I have read/heard, the new SVTC/Eluder line was suppose to have been a huge sellout for Yamaha up in Canada. That being so, one would think that if this were the case and their sales were only slow down here in the States, that Yamaha would openly be pursuing the Canadian market and just stopping production for the U.S. market, if nothing else but to mitigate their RnD costs on the motorcycle by at least taking advantage of Canadian buyers still waiting for the bikes to arrive.
I do not do motorcycle Rally's but I did hear thru the grapevine that the unveiling of the new Star (I think it was out on the east coast?) got mixed emotions on the spot and that the follow up at the "booth" was slow. If what you think you are seeing happening ends up being true, I cant help but wonder if Star Yamaha had a pretty good hunch that cutting their losses early was on the drawing board.
I will never forget that extremely bad press that Victory Motorcycles got when they stopped production. The Victory Motorcycle forums were in flames over that! Perhaps some people at Star Yamaha had also followed those forums and decided they did not want to allow things to go that far and affect so many people and thought best to nip it early for a lesser bad after effect..
It could also be something as simple as Star Yamaha press is holding the best advertising for last too!! Maybe next months magazine installment will be 100% devoted to the all new, updated version of that awesome SVTC!!!:wink:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
While by my very nature, I do not usually take things like this quite as personal as you do Mr. Excellence:wink:, but I do understand where you are coming from. I especially find it interesting in that you stated that you are up in Canada and that the Yamaha magazine you received was a Canadian issue? From everything I have read/heard, the new SVTC/Eluder line was suppose to have been a huge sellout for Yamaha up in Canada. That being so, one would think that if this were the case and their sales were only slow down here in the States, that Yamaha would openly be pursuing the Canadian market and just stopping production for the U.S. market, if nothing else but to mitigate their RnD costs on the motorcycle by at least taking advantage of Canadian buyers still waiting for the bikes to arrive.
I do not do motorcycle Rally's but I did hear thru the grapevine that the unveiling of the new Star (I think it was out on the east coast?) got mixed emotions on the spot and that the follow up at the "booth" was slow. If what you think you are seeing happening ends up being true, I cant help but wonder if Star Yamaha had a pretty good hunch that cutting their losses early was on the drawing board.
I will never forget that extremely bad press that Victory Motorcycles got when they stopped production. The Victory Motorcycle forums were in flames over that! Perhaps some people at Star Yamaha had also followed those forums and decided they did not want to allow things to go that far and affect so many people and thought best to nip it early for a lesser bad after effect..
It could also be something as simple as Star Yamaha press is holding the best advertising for last too!! Maybe next months magazine installment will be 100% devoted to the all new, updated version of that awesome SVTC!!!:wink:
I'd like to be clear, here, Lonestar, on what I well perceive, could be a misconception and reason for my creating this Thread..;) .of that of my 'taking things so personally'.

I invested over $36,000.00 CDN with Yamaha. I expect that they would have a modicum of 'we're in for the long term', for that kind of MSRP asking price. Plain and simple. I don't take this as a personal 'slight' or angle. I take this as a failure by a major motorcycle company to support those that put their faith in their most expensive motorcycle MSRP. That...is my grievance. I'm past that now...having said how their abrupt and month's old E.O.L of this bike has made me feel, and my consumer response to their taking the SVTC 'off the shelf' of their 2019 pantry. I will no longer purchase another consumer piece of equipment from them ie: another motorcycle, or my next V-8 outboard motor, slated for an Early Spring (boat shows dealer/booths) 2019 purchase. My purchase of the aforementioned, will not be orphaned a mere 5 months from them, again. I'll buy parts and maintenance items for my 2018 SVTC, as needed.

That's it. My total involvement into the future with Yamaha Canada. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me TWICE, total shame is then, on me! Now, looking forward to next year's riding season, both myself and my wife. Truly! :)

Not personal slight ...but as a business man, and stock investor that plays the markets...I have now published my response to the SVTC E.O.L. Good bike, no, a great bike----but mere months later...for myself and my wife, perceived now, in light of current events, a bad monetary investment, simply, as a one year production motorcycle model. It will take over a decade and a half, to balance the loss of current and immediate value on this model pretty much, with no following production year and 'over night'. Others can heartily disagree, but my experience in the market(s)...supports my view. :)

Also (and said with no gruffness) Lonestar, having no multi-thousand 'skin in the game' over an SVTC purchase, it is more than easy to maintain a distant, 3rd Party approach to no 2019 SVTC production. I'm sure you and everybody else, would agree with that. No $$$$ skin in the game...can make someone have a quite relaxed outtake...;) I'm sure that those of us, that do indeed have $$$$ skin in the game, take a more stringent look, than mere casual comment. I'm sure that after reading this thread...there are people reaching around, and patting themselves on the back (you know, lol) that they did not invest in a 2018 SVTC/Eluder purchase. There are some right now, (maybe yourself included) that are nodding their heads, and saying "No S***!"

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd like to be clear, here, Lonestar, on what I well perceive, could be a misconception and reason for my creating this Thread..;) .of that of my 'taking things so personally'.

I invested over $36,000.00 CDN with Yamaha. I expect that they would have a modicum of 'we're in for the long term', for that kind of MSRP asking price. Plain and simple. I don't take this as a personal 'slight' or angle. I take this as a failure by a major motorcycle company to support those that put their faith in their most expensive motorcycle MSRP. That...is my grievance. I'm past that now...having said how their abrupt and month's old E.O.L of this bike has made me feel, and my consumer response to their taking the SVTC 'off the shelf' of their 2019 pantry. I will no longer purchase another consumer piece of equipment from them ie: another motorcycle, or my next V-8 outboard motor, slated for an Early Spring (boat shows dealer/booths) 2019 purchase. My purchase of the aforementioned, will not be orphaned a mere 5 months from them, again. I'll buy parts and maintenance items for my 2018 SVTC, as needed.

That's it. My total involvement into the future with Yamaha Canada. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me TWICE, total shame is then, on me! Now, looking forward to next year's riding season, both myself and my wife. Truly! :)

Not personal slight ...but as a business man, and stock investor that plays the markets...I have now published my response to the SVTC E.O.L. Good bike, no, a great bike----but mere months later...for myself and my wife, perceived now, in light of current events, a bad monetary investment, simply, as a one year production motorcycle model. It will take over a decade and a half, to balance the loss of current and immediate value on this model pretty much, with no following production year and 'over night'. Others can heartily disagree, but my experience in the market(s)...supports my view. :)

Also (and said with no gruffness) Lonestar, having no multi-thousand 'skin in the game' over an SVTC purchase, it is more than easy to maintain a distant, 3rd Party approach to no 2019 SVTC production. I'm sure you and everybody else, would agree with that. No $$$$ skin in the game...can make someone have a quite relaxed outtake...;) I'm sure that those of us, that do indeed have $$$$ skin in the game, take a more stringent look, than mere casual comment. I'm sure that after reading this thread...there are people reaching around, and patting themselves on the back (you know, lol) that they did not invest in a 2018 SVTC/Eluder purchase. There are some right now, (maybe yourself included) that are nodding their heads, and saying "No S***!"

Cheers,

Joe
Ok, you got me on this one my friend,, NO S***!!:laugh:
I will times 10 that "NO S***" if Star Yamaha really does not surprise all of us and have some surprise announcement for the 2019 SVTC before January 2019. I still find it very hard to believe that this is going to happen like this.
I will let you in on a little something though, due to this thread I did take a few minutes on my way home from work and stop at our local metric motorcycle dealership that was aggressively trying to sell my wife and I on the 2018 SVTC earlier in the year where I asked if a '19 was forthcoming. Their simple response was that "we have heard nothing from the factory at this time" and left it at that:surprise:. After struggling to go any further with that question and in a an effort to sell me something, He did say that the 2019 Wing's have been announced and can be ordered :grin:.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, you got me on this one my friend,, NO S***!!:laugh:
I will times 10 that "NO S***" if Star Yamaha really does not surprise all of us and have some surprise announcement for the 2019 SVTC before January 2019. I still find it very hard to believe that this is going to happen like this.
I will let you in on a little something though, due to this thread I did take a few minutes on my way home from work and stop at our local metric motorcycle dealership that was aggressively trying to sell my wife and I on the 2018 SVTC earlier in the year where I asked if a '19 was forthcoming. Their simple response was that "we have heard nothing from the factory at this time" and left it at that:surprise:. After struggling to go any further with that question and in a an effort to sell me something, He did say that the 2019 Wing's have been announced and can be ordered :grin:.

He did say that the 2019 Wing's have been announced and can be ordered.

"....and to that, I say, "NO S***!!!"

I have the next 15 or so years, to enjoy my ride...and enjoy, we shall...

Going to bed...eyes hanging down and touching my kneecaps...lol.

Take care, Lonestar.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
...but as a business man, and stock investor that plays the markets...... a great bike----but ... in light of current events, a bad monetary investment...
I think this explains why you are so upset and feel personally betrayed.

Its a dangerous leap from the stock market to buying tangible consumable goods with the mindset or rational that you are making an investment.

Red flags waving and red lights flashing everywhere when I hear that.

I fully understand many people buy new vehicles with the intent of selling them in a few years and getting another new vehicle, but the risk of a serious loss in value is always 100% on you.

You give them the money, they give you the vehicle. End of transaction.

The manufacturer is accountable to keep service and maintenance parts available for several years, and to honor warranties, but they are under no obligation to maintain the value of your vehicle.

This happens sometimes, and its painful, and I dont mean to minimize your situation.

When a manufacturer shuts down a product line, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. You cannot give away a Saturn SUV today, but just try to find a Saturn Sky roadster for sale for less than $15,000.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think this explains why you are so upset and feel personally betrayed.

Its a dangerous leap from the stock market to buying tangible consumable goods with the mindset or rational that you are making an investment.

Red flags waving and red lights flashing everywhere when I hear that.

I fully understand many people buy new vehicles with the intent of selling them in a few years and getting another new vehicle, but the risk of a serious loss in value is always 100% on you.

You give them the money, they give you the vehicle. End of transaction.

The manufacturer is accountable to keep service and maintenance parts available for several years, and to honor warranties, but they are under no obligation to maintain the value of your vehicle.

This happens sometimes, and its painful, and I dont mean to minimize your situation.

When a manufacturer shuts down a product line, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. You cannot give away a Saturn SUV today, but just try to find a Saturn Sky roadster for sale for less than $15,000.
Hi KCW,

While I do dabble in the Stock Market, and look at that as monetary structure and investment 'instrument', I truly do not look at anything such as a car, bike, anything that transports you as a 'investment' with the idea of earning a formal profit, although, that has been the case with some of my motorcycles over the years, but never do I purchase with that sole intent. I do though have a guiding rule, on what, when, and how I choose to spend my money, and a manufacturer that simply open-hand's drops their product, merely months after the formal introduction to the buying public is a rule that has been compromised.

If one feels that that can be construed as a betrayal of one's personal modus operandi, then I can see how you would view my interaction upon this thread. When I make the right hand say's, the left hand say's...buying decisions, I always view an item, or from whom it is being produced, as a guiding sale point, to minimize purchase loss, the profit loss, taken by the manufacturer and dealer, 100 feet off the dealer property, and whom, would be motivated and interested to purchase my used motorcycle down the road, when I wish to divest of it, the all of it. To avoid The Money Pit, the throwing of good money, after bad. That has worked for me, my whole life. It has protected me, more than not, my whole life. The truth is, no matter how good a model looked to me, sitting in the showroom,with my shopping list in hand, ...had I a Crystal Ball, showing me that merely 5 months later after launch, the very manufacturer of that bike, would be walking away from their very own creation (as a public action) ....I simply would have walked past the bike, out the door, and visited another motorcycle manufacturer. Let me leave it as that....

Post Edit: KCW, I think that nobody here, that has read any other of my posts, knows anything else, but that I think this bike (as a motorcycle) is the next best thing since sliced bread! :)
My wife thinks the same. We have had more fun and excitement this past riding season, than what has been for years in the genre. It is simply a great bike. A great bike! Yamaha pulled the trigger on both barrels, bungling this product launch. They held back the bike, not for days...but for months...and not telling anyone, what the 'safety' concern was regarding the model. Who knows how many that scared off, of ever purchasing one....?!?!?

They fired up Rah-Rah excitement with their formal reveal and following review editors rides out of Boise, Idaho...and then made everyone wait for months on end, and personally, including myself, wait from October 17, 2017, to May 5th, 2018 to even get my hands on our pre-delivery. Yamaha did badly with this launch, and basically scared the motorcycling public off...which is too bad...for who in this forum...who actually owns one...and you have seen their bikes in supported ownership pictures, has stated one bad word over the handling, ride, performance, feel? Nobody....simply nobody has any fatal critiques of the bike. Some talk about heat generation, but that is personally quantitative in nature. Both my wife and I, have no discomfort in July/August, and LOVED the gentle warmth we had from the Twin Jugs, this past ride up in Northern Ontario, just last month.

So...the bike...for us...is fabulous...the dealings regarding it, coming from Yamaha....dropping production, no Navigation and bug corrections, no further development and tuning of the Control Head software...nothing from them, for months...are negative strikes in our minds, as owners. The bike...as a whole? The bike sitting out snoozing away the Winter months...in the garage...as a whole? Fantastic! My disappointment is with Yamaha Corporation, and not with the bike, sitting out in my garage. That was no disappointment-in-purchase, whatsoever! Couples that are not riding one...man...are they missing out on the Touring Action! Both myself and my wife feel that, 100 percent! If one is not dismayed by the E.O.L. on this model, and sees themselves riding this bike, into the Sun Set years...or at least 10 years of ownership....then this bike would be a jewel of a ride for them. Of course, one has to like V-Twin engines...we didn't know that we both did...before this first bike with one. Now...Dee-Dee and I, are true V-Twin Heads. We love everything about the engine design...especially the Yamaha engineering that went into taming the vibration out of that big 'n bad, V-Twin Humper!

Yamaha did some pretty amazing things, with tech on the bike. Why they lost financial return/reclaim faith in it, ***merely months*** after the reveal, will be a mystery to myself and my wife, always...always. The bike...is everything one would want, in a Grand Tour platform. Everything... Too bad, Yamaha lost faith, where we, as purchasers and proud owners, ***have not***...and that is the tragedy, here. That truly...is the tragedy......

Cheers,

Joe

1 - 20 of 66 Posts