Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to riding, and have none of the "cold weather" gear I'll need to keep riding through winter here in the Washington DC area. However, I do commute by bicycle all year long, so I know that good gear is crucial to a successful ride.

I'm looking for suggestions. What must I have, on my limited budget for this type of thing, and what can I do without? In particular, I'm wondering about all of this electric clothing I keep hearing about.

On the bicycle, layering seems to work just fine. I imagine at the higher speeds associated with motorcycles windproof becomes more important?

Tell me what works best for you, and what kind of temps/weather conditions you deal with where you live.

Thanks!

P

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you're on a tight budget don't be looking at the electric heated stuff :) I've got a good pair of winter gloves that work great without heating elements. You will want some chaps for sure.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I personally have a LOT of insulation so I usually just layer and get a good pair of gloves. It also depends on whether you ride full face helmet or half helmet because then you'll want something to cover your face/neck/ears.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
With temps in the mid to low 30's a good pair of winter gloves will get you about 10 miles before your fingers start screaming. 'lectric heated gloves are worth evry single penny.

Full face helmets are your absolute best choice.

If I had to pick one of the above it would have to be the helmet with the electric gloves :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
With temps in the mid to low 30's a good pair of winter gloves will get you about 10 miles before your fingers start screaming. 'lectric heated gloves are worth evry single penny.

Full face helmets are your absolute best choice.

If I had to pick one of the above it would have to be the helmet with the electric gloves :D
Yea, last year I used:
Full face helmet, leather jacket layered with a hoodie & neck gaiter, a pair the insulated walls/carhart overalls layered over jeans, and a pair of insulated leather gauntlet mc gloves.
I found this get-up to be plenty comfy down to about 30°. But get below that and the fingers were the first to go! :eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well, since the last 2 mornings' rides to work have been in the low 30s and I had to recently dig out my "cold weather" stuff, here's what I wear.

My regular leather riding jacket with the liner, over a sweatshirt; leather chaps over my jeans, long underwear under my jeans. Double-layer socks and my regular riding boots. Leather gauntlet-style gloves that fit snug over my jacket sleeves to keep the wind out; my gloves also have nylon rain covers, which actually work surprisingly well to keep the wind off my hands. I also re-installed my hand shields on the bike to further help reduce wind on the hands. I wear a half-helmet with the wind skirt on, and a double-layer neckgaiter for my face and neck. No electric gear for me, although I can't say that it won't happen in the future.

This is what I wear when it gets below 35 degrees or so, and I've been comfortable down to the mid-20s for my 20-mile ride to work. Above 40 some of the layers disappear. People at work look at me funny when I ride in and it's below 30 degrees; I just tell them it was a beautiful morning for a ride.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you're all very helpful, thanks. i never thought about the added warmth afforded by a full face. that and good gloves seem to be at the top of my shopping list. any particular helmets/gloves you'd recommend for winter riding?

it's good to hear the rest of my winter attire can mostly be cobbled from my existing commuter gear (except for chaps of course ... bidding on a pair now on ebay).

·
Registered
545 Posts
I know it's laughable to most of you for a SoCal rider to weigh in on this topic, but it does get into the 40's and 50's regularly in Winter, and sneaks into the 30's at times.

When it does, I break out my full-face helmet. Last year, I bought a wind-skirt that fits around the bottom edge of the helmet, closes around the neck with velcro, and fits under the collar of my riding jacket. What a difference! It keeps the wind completely off your neck all the way around and also from getting up under the face of the helmet up in your eyes, etc.

For 20 bucks, it's a great investment in riding comfort.

·
Registered
199 Posts
All my cold weather experience with cold weather was as a pillion warmer (since I just got to riding my own in July). I have tons of gear since we ride whenever we can ride (since I have a small child).

1. I have my chaps and I bought the cute girl ones by Ikon at first. Yep they were cute and light but when I felt the weight difference between his and mine I exchanged them for men’s. Sorry but I would rather be warm then have a cute little tie on the back. So make sure the ones you are bidding on are lined otherwise they will help but not much.

2. My boots are leather and I wear them in my jeans but I bought the ones that cover my shins almost to my knees. I have two pair like this since they add to the warmth.

3. I have a gator for my face since I wear a half helmet. This helps keep half my face warm and it fits into my jacket so it keeps the wind off my neck.

4. I wear a sweatshirt under my jacket (so I made sure when I tried on my jacket that would fit underneath). I also make sure the liner is in and the vents and pockets are CLOSED. LOL

5. I have ear covers for the triangle part of my helmet that I snap back on. It is the straps that go down to your chin, in the summer it is just open. (Don’t know if that made since but I know what I am talking about :eek:).

6. I wear glove liners in my leather gloves. I have not been able to find female style gloves that are the thick leather that go up your forearm yet but I am hoping as the weather gets colder I can find some.

7. I always carry those heat packs that you can throw in boots or gloves or jacket for that matter.

8. As a rider I will not use but as a passenger I had one of those hand sleeves. (hunters use them or the football players)

Now for my bike I had my boyfriend install Heat Demons they seem to help but would work much better if I had those hand shields. I have a question since we are talking about warmer clothes weather. Has anyone had their leather jacket fitted? My jacket fits me great except the arms are too long. So of course I roll it but as the weather gets colder if I can’t find those over the arm gloves that fit I will freeze or have to drive my cage.

Stratowart -let’s just say females are cold where the chaps don’t cover as well!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have ridden many many miles in Colorado in the teens and what I use is the Tourmaster Flex outfit with LaCross boots and Carharts cold weather socks. Carharts neck warmer, HD heated gloves made by Gerbings and the HD heated vest made by Gerbings and I turned it on once to see if it worked and have never used it since, the only thing I still need to get is a set of heated inserts.
The one thing I would suggest is to get the heated gloves as you can layer up to stay warm but THE HANDS

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
On the cheap side thermal underwear, blue jeans,chaps,longsleeve shirt,hoodi sweat shirt,leather jacket with liner,head sock,full face helment and a good pair of winter riding gloves. This package seems to work for me down to 30 degrees any colder than that, then that's why they make cars with heaters.I do have frog togs for rain which keep you dry and warm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with most here I layer up with thermals under clothes(I wear thin uniform/slacks for work) carharts with sweatshirt/hoodie and leather chaps/jacket. Still looking for goooood cold weather gloves anything gauntlet style should go over the sleeves. Newbie I immagine you have small hands find a gauntlet around medium might help I have xxl seems to help need to have breathing room for fingers as its body moisture that gets you really cold. moisture wicking material works wonders.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Still looking for goooood cold weather gloves anything gauntlet style should go over the sleeves.
Hi-

I use XXL gloves as well, and I've found these to be excellent:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Gloves-/Xelement-Motorcycle-Winter-Gloves/115676.html

Won't break the bank and Leatherup is always good for at least an additional 10% off. If you check for Leatherup coupons, you can often find free shipping and up to 20% off. Sometimes free shipping is worth more than the 10 or 20% discounts, particularly if you're only buying one item.

And no, I am not affiliated with Leatherup in any way. I use them when I can because I like to save beer money;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again everyone. I got a warm pair of Olympia gauntlet gloves on eBay for $12, and I'm still bidding on those chaps, yes they are lined Newbie, thanks for that tip. I ordered an HJC full face, and now I need some good warm socks, and I think I'll be set! Come on old man winter!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts