Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I relocated the rear turn signals. Cut the wires and reconnected them exactly how they were. Now both the rears and the front right stay on all the time. The front left won't turn on at all. The front right is the only one that blinks and it blinks really fast. And I have no brake light. What would cause that? All the fuses I found are still good

When I use the switch to turn on the left turn signals, nothing happens, no blinking, and no sound from the relay thing. When I use the switch for the right one, it clicks, but again, only the left front blinks.

Both front bulbs should be good

·
Registered
6 Posts
"I'm not good with electrical..."

That might have been something to consider before you cut the wires. (just being a smart-***...sorry)

For my part, the only things I know about electricity are:
1. I can't see it.
2. It will kill me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might have been something to consider before you cut the wires. (just being a smart-***...sorry)

For my part, the only things I know about electricity are:
1. I can't see it.
2. It will kill me.
Well I know that reconnecting things exactly as they were should yield identical results.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well...it was working correctly before...so evidently they aren't exactly as they were. You'll probably need to get a voltmeter and a wiring diagram and start testing wires. Something is messed up .... or take it to somebody that can start tracing things and get it figured out.

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
doesn't sound like a fuse issue or the lights wouldn't be coming on at all. the front lights and rear lights both probably share a fuse, respectively. by checking the ground, it means make sure whatever wire was secured to the frame is still doing so in the same manner. did you change out any wiring? go to a different gauge? did you replace any of the lights or just move them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doesn't sound like a fuse issue or the lights wouldn't be coming on at all. the front lights and rear lights both probably share a fuse, respectively. by checking the ground, it means make sure whatever wire was secured to the frame is still doing so in the same manner. did you change out any wiring? go to a different gauge? did you replace any of the lights or just move them?
Didn't change any wires. I only moved the lights, didn't change them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its an 02 650 classic

moved them to rear peg mounts.

cant get pictures right now as im at work

last night, i cut all the wires again and just left the right ride connected. when i turned the bike on, the right side stayed lit solid, they did not blink when i hit the switch

the person who had the bike before me kind of rigged alot of stuff and just crammed electrical in places, i noticed that the blinker box relay thing is all melted on one corner from sitting on something. id rather not pay for one of those until im sure its the problem though. are there any inexpensive replacements for those?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I may have figured something out in my brain. I can't remember actually checking if the signals worked before I got it. And upon closer inspection, they look like front signals mounted on the back. They're three wire instead of two. Whoever put those on ran the power from the signals to the power for the tail light

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: apparently they didn't work when I got it. Ran both grounds to ground, ran the other wires to the correct "flasher" wires. They all work now except the front left. It just stays very dim, but blinks. When I turn the switch on, it shuts off. I've tried two bulbs in it and gotten the same result

1 - 12 of 12 Posts