Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got these pictures in today of the new "Liner" duals from Freedom Performance Exhaust. Ray over at AAA Motorcycle Exhaust is the person to call for more info. I've been told that they will retail for $899.99 and include 2.50" step-up Racing headers and 4.00" muffler cans with a choice of tips. Ray will most likely be discounting the price as always. He can be reached at 951-454-8192 (9am-9pm, CA time) or email him at [email protected] or [email protected].

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
That pipe crossing under in front of the rear tire scares the bejesus out of me. No way I could get that into my storage shed, I'd conk the pipe every time. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Those look pretty cool.The price is not so cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
According to Freedom Performance, they are no lower than the HD crossovers and have been tested with a 250lb rider over speed bumps and steep driveways without any incidents. That's not to say that if you have 600lbs of riders and gear on the bike your not going to scrape somewhere but, that's where a good eye, progressive shocks, or a good Eibach rear spring comes into play. They told me that they'll be Dyno testing the pipes next week so it'll be interesting to find out the results. If you're all about "Maximum Performance", then stick to 2:1 pipes but, if you're like me and think that the liner is fast enough like it is, then go for the duals! As far as the $900 price goes (AAA will have them for $799.99), have you ever priced Harley duals?? I see that "Kentdidit" will be pricing his Liner duals at $1200-$1400, maybe more. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Freedom Performance Exhaust products but, I've had a set of their true-duals on my Road Star for over 5 years now and, other than a few road nicks, they still look and shine like new, I've had no issues! Well..I probably should change out the baffles.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Ya, I can see the crossover pipe causing issues at the apex of a ramp into a shed or at the top of a ramp into the back of a pick-up truck. I don't have any problems like that so for me it's just scrapping up the 8 Ben Franklin's. A good set of V&H duals for an HD will run up around $700.00, I don't have a problem with a bit more cost and have something not so commonly seen.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Am I really the only one who thinks those pipes would look KILLER as a 2-1?? And wouldn't have the concerns of the crossover pipe. The mufflers are just the right size for a 2-1 in my opinion, and think they would look great.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey there's an idea, wonder how much they would run if they were able to make them as a slip-on! Shouldn't be too much more work since they obviously already have a mounting system in place. It would look waaay better than the stock pipe, and I'm sure sound better too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
While I don't have the ground clearance measurements, the crossover looks like and is pretty much in the same location, etc as the V&H I had on Kawasaki Nomad. Scraped muffler many times riding 2-up but never scraped the crossover pipe in 43K miles.
If Freedom did their homework, IMO shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello fellow Roady Freedom Exhaust owners. Hope all is well. I installed the duals a coulple weeks ago. Love them, but have a question for those that have had the duals on for a while. To check and refill the transfer case oil, do you have to remove the exhaust or is their enough room to get an allen wrench in there without mucking up any parts? I hit 8K on the odometer and wanted to check the transfer case oil level but not a lot of room, with the duals. If I'm not mistaken doesnt the service manual say to remove the exhaust?

·
Registered
37 Posts
AR51,
I ran into some folks from Canada last weekend at the Oyster run that had these on their bike and thought they were great. I didn't really get to hear them. I did ask about doing maintenance and was told it is easier with these as opposed to the stock pipes.
Coming from the V65 magna I sometimes look for that kind of torque and speed coming off the line but do like how this big bike takes off. Though not as fast as the magna it gets out and runs pretty quick. Having said that I don't want to lose any torque or quickness and will probably do some mods to attain that goal.
Any input in the quest will be appreciated.

Mental

1 - 20 of 23 Posts