Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one else have local government that is nuts (for a lack of a better term). We have an epidemic of reckless driving going on. So along with the police department they have decided to crack down on impaired drivers from now until Christmas. That isn't the part i have a problem with. Where i have the problem is they are going to utilize the motorcycle officers. Yes i said motorcycle officers. So far we have had 12" more than average snow this year. One day of average temperature. Taken lightly from the city that built a street car line that costs $10 mil a year to operate and no way to collect fares for rides. The good news is i don't live in Milwaukee proper. I live in the western burbs. My cycle has been stored for winter the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe they selected the motor guys because they aren't riding in the snow, and so are underutilized??? Around here they do road block checks for over served or under licensed drivers. Is it possible they will use the motor cops to man the check points? All they need is a ride to the site, and a breathalyzer. Maybe a flashlight.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Deek don't be too hard on those poor ole politicians.
I'm sure they thought this thru.
They probably did a $125,000.00 study ( performed by the mayors fishing buddy Bubba) and found the answer.
They are going to outfit the bikes with snow chains and have the K9 unit support them and yes they've already thought of everything. The've already purchased boots for the dogs.
They got a real deal on the dog boots for only $329.00 a pair, courtesy of the chief of the town council's duck hunting buddy Jethro. Jethro owns a sporting goods store and is 50 / 50 partners with the chief of police.
You see politicians have our back. They are always trying to save us taxpayers money AND heaven forbid, should I say it, NEVER RAISE OUR TAXES.
You see common folks like us just don't understand how guvmint works.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they selected the motor guys because they aren't riding in the snow, and so are underutilized??? Around here they do road block checks for over served or under licensed drivers. Is it possible they will use the motor cops to man the check points? All they need is a ride to the site, and a breathalyzer. Maybe a flashlight.
Wisconsin state law doesn't allow police check points. I don't know why but not allowed. That could be a plausible use. We already lost one motorcycle LEO to a reckless driver chase this year.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deek don't be too hard on those poor ole politicians.
I'm sure they thought this thru.
They probably did a $125,000.00 study ( performed by the mayors fishing buddy Bubba) and found the answer.
They are going to outfit the bikes with snow chains and have the K9 unit support them and yes they've already thought of everything. The've already purchased boots for the dogs.
They got a real deal on the dog boots for only $329.00 a pair, courtesy of the chief of the town council's duck hunting buddy Jethro. Jethro owns a sporting goods store and is 50 / 50 partners with the chief of police.
You see politicians have our back. They are always trying to save us taxpayers money AND heaven forbid, should I say it, NEVER RAISE OUR TAXES.
You see common folks like us just don't understand how guvmint works.
They could always just have the K9 dogs pull sleds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wisconsin state law doesn't allow police check points. I don't know why but not allowed. That could be a plausible use. We already lost one motorcycle LEO to a reckless driver chase this year.
Very common here in CA. At least in my town, which has its own PD. Just about every holiday period there will be one. The rules about how they conduct them are strict. For example, they have to publish in the news that they will have one during xx to yy time period, but they don't have to be specific about what street. They also have to setup where the public can turn away to another route before reaching the control zone. Apparently it is still a viable deterrent. They usually follow up with how many arrests and impoundments were made. I suppose if you are drunk enough you'll be dumb enough to not turn. But I am always amazed that they snag unlicensed drivers too. I'm rarely out at the late hour, but when I am I'm happy to pass through one and say hello to the officers.

Now that I think about it, seems I rarely read the announcement from surrounding cities (same newspaper), so maybe it is just my town that loves doing them so much.

·
2,251 Posts
Around here they don't have to tell us anything and they set them up in places where you don't see them until it's too late and if there is a place to turn off they'll see you and go after you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Around here they don't have to tell us anything and they set them up in places where you don't see them until it's too late and if there is a place to turn off they'll see you and go after you.
Same here, no notice and they will chase you if you turn off or turn around to avoid. I support this 100%. They shouldn't have to publicise where they will be and allow for an escape route. Too many people are being killed by drunk drivers and they aren't getting the message even though the fines and penalties can be severe. Take a cab or uber if you've been drinking.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The morons took reckless driving to a new level last night. A 21yr old woman ran a red light. LEOs chasing, she crashed in to a house and burned it down and the house next door. What is going on now a days.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
People are unreal on the news this morning someone rear ended a parked car so hard it pushed into the car in front of it and the car went under the 1st car it hit and its rear wheels were on the roof. The driver got out and ran away. There was a stop sign a block away that he ran or accelerated very hard

·
Registered
956 Posts
Same here, no notice and they will chase you if you turn off or turn around to avoid. I support this 100%. They shouldn't have to publicise where they will be and allow for an escape route. Too many people are being killed by drunk drivers and they aren't getting the message even though the fines and penalties can be severe. Take a cab or uber if you've been drinking.
These stops are not about public safety. They are about generating revenue.
I have good friends that are LEOs for several different cities & counties around me.
They may get one drunk driver, if any at all. But, get many people for various other infractions. i.e ... experied tags. Suspended license. Warrants. Etc.
In fact, one of my buddy's said his boss said... "Time to make some money. Set up a check point." (Granted this was ten years ago, before the Political Correctness stuff went haywire. )

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,100 Posts
I wanted to inform y’all about how we do Sobriety checkpoints.
It must be advertised on social media and in the newspaper where and when it’ll be. This avoids entrapment according to the District Attorneys office.
Most if not nearly all departments are given grants to put these together so they are a promoted thru each states Government Safety Office.
The public has no concept of just how many people are driving drunk at all hours of the day. I personally have arrested someone for DUI picking up their children from school. I’ve also pulled dead(fatalities) out of wrecked vehicles after being hit and killed by a drunk driver.
Yes there are other charges that can result from a checkpoint. Yet it you have a registered sex offender that has violated his parole, wouldn’t you want him off the street as well? We can only make a dent with these, yet we’re still trying to protect the innocent folks from becoming victims. For us, there’s no revenue in checkpoints, the money all goes to the states and court systems. I do get overtime for being out there, but it doesn’t make our town or county wealthy.
There’s thousands of felons driving around with weapons which is a huge violation committing homicides, rapes, armed robberies, etc. Wouldn’t you also want them off the street knowing your family might be a little safer?
I personally have no sympathy for habitual drunk drivers, personally or professionally. My fathers best friend from high school was killed by a drunk driver, my best friend from childhood was also killed by a drunk driver, so my life has been touched by it.
I arrested a guy for DUI that had eight (8) previous convictions for DUI, yet he still continued to drive, driving drunk is completely selfish with no regard for anyone else or their families.
When you have to cover a child who’s deceased by a drunk driver with that black plastic sheet and see their family totally crumble in front of you and there’s nothing you can do, you will understand why there are checkpoints out there. We do our job, yet the court system and high powered attorneys release these people back into the general public for us to arrest all over again in the future. Just giving you some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
My view is ... itself it was for just public safety. It would be done more often then just around holidays.
While I have done stupid, selfish stuff in the past. I've always believed...
If you do the crime. Be ready for the time.

So if some dumbass drive drunk. Then they should be arrested for it. If you drive on a suspended license. You deserve the fine, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts