Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,100 Posts
I totally agree, however the promotion to drink and drive is excessively high through the holidays, and stats prove it. Notice the frequency of alcoholic beverage commercials during the holidays? Super Bowl ads, New Year ads, etc. As long as people are lulled into believing it’s ok because it’s the holidays and millions are spent on advertising, people believe it’s alright.
I was a field training officer when I was training a newbie. He thought because he was now law enforcement, it was no big deal to drink and drive off duty as long as he was with his wife.
Shortly afterwards his wife was driving drunk and lost control of her SUV on I-55. Her passenger was a local school teacher. Both were killed, I helped carry my rookies wife’s body up a ravine after helping EMS cut her out of the SUV because her body was wedged halfway out of the sunroof. My rookie drove up on the scene because she wouldn’t answer her cellphone. They had three kids, and were high school sweethearts. Even LEO’s can be lulled into believing it’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I wanted to inform y’all about how we do Sobriety checkpoints.
It must be advertised on social media and in the newspaper where and when it’ll be. This avoids entrapment according to the District Attorneys office.
Most if not nearly all departments are given grants to put these together so they are a promoted thru each states Government Safety Office.
The public has no concept of just how many people are driving drunk at all hours of the day. I personally have arrested someone for DUI picking up their children from school. I’ve also pulled dead(fatalities) out of wrecked vehicles after being hit and killed by a drunk driver.
Yes there are other charges that can result from a checkpoint. Yet it you have a registered sex offender that has violated his parole, wouldn’t you want him off the street as well? We can only make a dent with these, yet we’re still trying to protect the innocent folks from becoming victims. For us, there’s no revenue in checkpoints, the money all goes to the states and court systems. I do get overtime for being out there, but it doesn’t make our town or county wealthy.
There’s thousands of felons driving around with weapons which is a huge violation committing homicides, rapes, armed robberies, etc. Wouldn’t you also want them off the street knowing your family might be a little safer?
I personally have no sympathy for habitual drunk drivers, personally or professionally. My fathers best friend from high school was killed by a drunk driver, my best friend from childhood was also killed by a drunk driver, so my life has been touched by it.
I arrested a guy for DUI that had eight (8) previous convictions for DUI, yet he still continued to drive, driving drunk is completely selfish with no regard for anyone else or their families.
When you have to cover a child who’s deceased by a drunk driver with that black plastic sheet and see their family totally crumble in front of you and there’s nothing you can do, you will understand why there are checkpoints out there. We do our job, yet the court system and high powered attorneys release these people back into the general public for us to arrest all over again in the future. Just giving you some food for thought.

I’d like to add my 2 cents here if I may.
In today’s world of information and the CONTINUAL advertised warning against drunk driving, there is NOBODY who can claim ignorance. NOBODY can say they didn’t know the possible consequences their actions may inflict on others.
Based on that, IMHO... ANYONE who is involved in a DUI accident where someone is killed NEEDS to be charged with MURDER ONE... premeditated manslaughter! They were not forced to drink, nor were they FORCED to drive KNOWING that their actions could have dire consequences. They willingly committed ALL actions resulting in a death as surely
As if they had loaded a gun... pointed and fired it at the person(s).
There is NO excuse... there is NO exception.
It was premeditated and needs to be dealt with as such!

·
Registered
244 Posts
These stops are not about public safety. They are about generating revenue.
I have good friends that are LEOs for several different cities & counties around me.
They may get one drunk driver, if any at all. But, get many people for various other infractions. i.e ... experied tags. Suspended license. Warrants. Etc.
In fact, one of my buddy's said his boss said... "Time to make some money. Set up a check point." (Granted this was ten years ago, before the Political Correctness stuff went haywire. )

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oh for sure they generate revenue and as Keith said they also get a lot of other scumbags in the net too. In our region the spot checks have nailed over 1400 impaired drivers this year so far in addition to the various criminals they catch so I'm all for them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We had a New Year's Eve party at my place in Austin one time. At some point one of the wives decided to head for the hacienda and about 15 min later we got a call from her. There was a drunk check on the highway. It spooked her so she pulled into the nearest parking lot and sat there and called. We came to get her and took off in my car while her husband took off in hers all heading back towards my place. I assume the police could see all this going on, but allowed it. I thought that was pretty nice of them. Maybe it was just too much trouble to check out. They probably didn't want to be out there either.

·
Super Moderator
6,100 Posts
If we see someone taking care of things like that, we say kudos as it’s showing some responsibility. At my old department, each DUI paper trail consisted of 24 pages of paper, not counting transport times, breathilyzer read outs, reports, tow slips, and dispatch read outs from when some called 911 to report the impaired driver.
I once had the wife attack me while I was arresting her husband for DUI with him also attacking me after I got her off of me. I was much younger then, lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DUI checkpoints are announced in advance here in the Columbus, OH area. They have some effect but sadly they need another method of going after the other types of DUI...cell phone usage...I really feel they are just as bad as a drunk or drug impaired driver. When their eyes are so focused on the phone they may as well be passed out drunk. I also agree with @ChiefGunner that the charges brought against those apprehended need to be stiffened. Court fines and public embarrassment no longer work. Some consider it a badge of honor to have the state issued yellow plates on their cars...also called party plates...driving without or on a suspended license should have greater penalties also..but I am old and grumpy and sick of being run off the road or always on defense while driving..

·
Registered
575 Posts
I do not know if I am an overly cautious driver but I see some really bad aggressive driving more today than when I first started driving 45 years ago. Drivers appear to have gotten worse over time but I am not sure if it is the skills of the drivers or the confidence they have in their cars or maybe it is that people dont G.A.S about anybody other than themselves. I tend to believe it is the latter since the studies that have been done regarding the demise of empathy as it relates to social media. I told my kids when they were learning to drive to expect those around you to do the wrong thing so it is important for you to hone your skills to make up for their deficiencies as a driver. Both of my boys are great drivers..my daughter in laws....ehh not so much!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just saw another horrific wreck in downtown milwaukee the car had to be going 80 when it hit a tree. 1/2 the car is gone. Is this happening around the country or is it just all the people that live around here are "special"
It definitely is not Milwaukee. I see high speed idiocy here on a daily basis. They mostly get away with it, but not always. I'm thankful I don't have to see the results up close like Keith does.

·
1,481 Posts
My Uncle Doug told me a story about his first day on the job as a Sheriff in Norwalk, Ca. He came upon a car that had went under a trailer and had the top sheared off. Saw hair in the back seat and a body in the front seat and just lost it, Puked his guts out. Turned out the women ducked down and survived it was a wig in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My Uncle Doug told me a story about his first day on the job as a Sheriff in Norwalk, Ca. He came upon a car that had went under a trailer and had the top sheared off. Saw hair in the back seat and a body in the front seat and just lost it, Puked his guts out. Turned out the women ducked down and survived it was a wig in the back seat.
That isn't where i expected you to go with that one

21 - 36 of 36 Posts