Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s Long Haul’s latest video in which he does 1684 miles STRAIGHT with NO FATIGUE on the SVTC! This bike is made to eat up the miles in comfort and Long Haul Paul is proving that fact.
Keep it going Paul, we’re with you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuxltDEGAw

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here’s Long Haul’s latest video in which he does 1684 miles STRAIGHT with NO FATIGUE on the SVTC! This bike is made to eat up the miles in comfort and Long Haul Paul is proving that fact.

Wow...does this guy ever work??!?!??!? He seems too young to be fully retired...geez...lol. You GO, Paul!

...and look at around 1:59 into the video, where his helmet camera picks up the speedometer....wow...he is cranking along at dusk, around 78-80 mph! This guy is moving down the road! I can't STAND it....this coming weekend is our Canadian Labor Day Weekend...and from sipping some java, and watching this vid...I'm , or we, are heading out, too. I think I would like to head over to either Gananoque, or Kingston, Ontario...and spend a couple of days touring in that area. We love the Thousand Islands, and it might be a great thing to celebrate the end of Summer with another boat tour out among the Thousand Islands, before the 'on water' season comes to a close. But no matter WHERE either I, or my wife and I end up...it's gonna be another 700 or so miles at least!

Hoping for nice weather, but no matter, we will have our Frog Togs packed!

...now, back to Paul's video...and the guy, who seemingly doesn't need a job to fund his excursions! :)

Post Edit: I now think that Paul is being sponsored by Yamaha America for the promotion that his videos affords them, on any previous and current Yamaha ride he owns/owned. That explains much, to me, if that is indeed the case! :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wow...does this guy ever work??!?!??!? He seems too young to be fully retired...geez...lol. You GO, Paul!

...and look at around 1:59 into the video, where his helmet camera picks up the speedometer....wow...he is cranking along at dusk, around 78-80 mph! This guy is moving down the road! I can't STAND it....this coming weekend is our Canadian Labor Day Weekend...and from sipping some java, and watching this vid...I'm , or we, are heading out, too. I think I would like to head over to either Gananoque, or Kingston, Ontario...and spend a couple of days touring in that area. We love the Thousand Islands, and it might be a great thing to celebrate the end of Summer with another boat tour out among the Thousand Islands, before the 'on water' season comes to a close. But no matter WHERE either I, or my wife and I end up...it's gonna be another 700 or so miles at least!

Hoping for nice weather, but no matter, we will have our Frog Togs packed!

...now, back to Paul's video...and the guy, who seemingly doesn't need a job to fund his excursions! /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Post Edit: I now think that Paul is being sponsored by Yamaha America for the promotion that his videos affords them, on any previous and current Yamaha ride he owns/owned. That explains much, to me, if that is indeed the case! /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Very possibly but I’d prefer if he’d answered that one directly rather than us speculating or assuming.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Very possibly but I’d prefer if he’d answered that one directly rather than us speculating or assuming.
I don't think you will see him show up, here, Chief. I think he promotes his 'presence' only and exclusively on his YouTube Channel. My take, anyways. The more hits he has...the more can be gleaned via Channel Monetization. That is YouTube. In the end of that video, (unless I misunderstood his comments), it seems he was involved with the Yamaha official presence, at Sturgis, in/at some capacity. I'm not alluding to anything 'off'...just that he might have been sponsored by Yamaha for his time aboard the Tenere, and now, the SVTC. I certainly know that I would approach them, with all the thousands of miles aboard his prior Yamaha ride. I'd say that his videos are quite him acting as a great Yamaha product ambassador n' such. Again, nothing wrong with that, for he is showing the capabilities of the SVTC, in the very mandate it was designed for. Long distance, perseverance touring.

In all of his videos, that I have viewed, he never mentions for the record, that he has no official Yamaha affiliation, or that Yamaha does not financially in any format, support his riding endeavors, aboard their line of bikes.

If he shows up, logged in as himself, that would be great...and a fabulous contribution to this forum, but again, I have a tingly sense that you won't see him here. Can't explain it, but I just do. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong....Paul?

Joe

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you will see him show up, here, Chief. I think he promotes his 'presence' only and exclusively on his YouTube Channel. My take, anyways. The more hits he has...the more can be gleaned via Channel Monetization. That is YouTube. In the end of that video, (unless I misunderstood) his comments, it seems he was involved with the Yamaha official presence, at Sturgis, in/at some capacity. I'm not alluding to anything 'off'...just that he might have been sponsored by Yamaha for his time aboard the Tenere, and now, the SVTC. I certainly know that I would approach them, with all the thousands of miles aboard his prior Yamaha ride. I'd say that his videos are quite him acting as a great Yamaha product ambassador n' such. Again, nothing wrong with that, for he is showing the capabilities of the SVTC, in the very mandate it was designed for. Long distance, perseverance touring.

In all of his videos, that I have viewed, he never mentions for the record, that he has no official Yamaha affiliation, or that Yamaha does not financially in any format, support his riding endeavors.

If he shows up, logged in as himself, that would be great...and a fabulous contribution to this forum, but again, I have a tingly sense that you won't see him here. Can't explain it, but I just do. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong....Paul?

Joe
Must be your “SPIDEY SENSES” going off! Lol.
Unless he’s retired or just plain “well off”, that would explain how he’s able to do what he does. What a job eh?! Get all expenses paid to ride around to events on Grand Tourer.
Oh well, some of us can dream!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Unless he’s retired or just plain “well off”, that would explain how he’s able to do what he does. What a job eh?! Get all expenses paid to ride around to events on Grand Tourer.
RIGHT! Nothing 'alluded'...and I wish I could be in that position, if that is in fact the case! I think, honestly Tony...that is the M.O. The Spidey Sense tells me that...

Hey Yamaha....look...psssst, over here....a red SVTC owner....wants the same gig...!!!!! I'll quit my job....and you can 'Bronson' me....any event...any talking engagement....anywhere...."Bronson me, baby! Charlotte is packed and waiting on orders to ship out...!"....

Long Haul Paul and I can be the Dynamic Yamaha Duo!

"Chief...I'm sitting by the phone...but it ain't ringing yet. Maybe LHP has a non compete clause with them, LOL"....

"Dream, dream, dreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam..." Hum....hum..........hum......tick tock, tick tock.....

Sittin' by the phone, Joe ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I met a guy [can't remember his name] that traveled around on a provided BMW and wrote articles for the BMW magazine. He was saying how he couldn't wait to retire and motorcycle travel! I said WHAT??? So you can travel on a bike you had to buy ,pay for your gas, hotels and food and not get paid? He started laughing and said 'yea, I guess so'.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I met a guy [can't remember his name] that traveled around on a provided BMW and wrote articles for the BMW magazine. He was saying how he couldn't wait to retire and motorcycle travel! I said WHAT??? So you can travel on a bike you had to buy ,pay for your gas, hotels and food and not get paid? He started laughing and said 'yea, I guess so'.
Just shows some people are never satisfied!
Hmm 🤔 “I don’t wanna do anymore what I do for free, i want to PAY for it”??
Is it just me or would anyone else classify that a “dumb”?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RIGHT! Nothing 'alluded'...and I wish I could be in that position, if that is in fact the case! I think, honestly Tony...that is the M.O. The Spidey Sense tells me that...

Hey Yamaha....look...psssst, over here....a red SVTC owner....wants the same gig...!!!!! I'll quit my job....and you can 'Bronson' me....any event...any talking engagement....anywhere...."Bronson me, baby! Charlotte is packed and waiting on orders to ship out...!"....

Long Haul Paul and I can be the Dynamic Yamaha Duo!

"Chief...I'm sitting by the phone...but it ain't ringing yet. Maybe LHP has a non compete clause with them, LOL"....

"Dream, dream, dreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam..." Hum....hum..........hum......tick tock, tick tock.....

Sittin' by the phone, Joe /forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
I wouldn’t mind that myself BUT I’d have to figure a way to pay all the regular non-bike related bills. But if I could... OH BABY....SIGN ME UP! 👍

BTW, did you see the video of the Eluder doing a burn out?!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I wouldn’t mind that myself BUT I’d have to figure a way to pay all the regular non-bike related bills. But if I could... OH BABY....SIGN ME UP! 👍

BTW, did you see the video of the Eluder doing a burn out?!
I did, and after I laughed my *ss off, with that dude peeling miles off of a $275 Plus rear tire...all that truly came to mind, was one word; "Dork....".... Darwin's Reject List....

Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
!
You can be sure, (ok, let's put the cards on the table and spread 'em...) Yamaha most likely picks up, LHP's fuel, expended items like oil, tires, flats, bearing, and prescribed maintenance. Also, for human comfort, food, accommodation, and most likely any road tour gear such as jackets, gloves, etc.

In otherwords, Paul doesn't pay a dime for all these fabulous end point, speaking engagements, and anywhere else that an official Yamaha Presence is going to be set up. Any state, any province... He either has a Yamaha supplied, expense account card, or he pays personally, and then submits all chits, to Yamaha USA.

My take, anyway. My version stands as 'what is' in my mind, until Paul himself will acknowledge this 'cream' deal, or totally denies Yamaha patronage and financial compensation, by a written post to that effect. Either way, all is good. Nothing wrong with having your expenses paid, for adding true value to Yamaha Marketing. Nothing wrong with that 'gig' in the slightest!

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can be sure, (ok, let's put the cards on the table and spread 'em...) Yamaha most likely picks up, LHP's fuel, expended items like oil, tires, flats, bearing, and prescribed maintenance. Also, for human comfort, food, accommodation, and most likely any road tour gear such as jackets, gloves, etc.

In otherwords, Paul doesn't pay a dime for all these fabulous end point, speaking engagements, and anywhere else that an official Yamaha Presence is going to be set up. Any state, any province... He either has a Yamaha supplied, expense account card, or he pays personally, and then submits all chits, to Yamaha USA.

My take, anyway. My version stands as 'what is' in my mind, until Paul himself will acknowledge this 'cream' deal, or totally denies Yamaha patronage and financial compensation, by a written post to that effect. Either way, all is good. Nothing wrong with having your expenses paid, for adding true value to Yamaha Marketing. Nothing wrong with that 'gig' in the slightest!
I 100% agree with your take on Long Haul's probable M.O. here Mr. Excellence and would also LOVE to have such a gig to support my sprouting touring habit!! Matter of fact,, even though I could probably not afford to quit my day job (I have young children at home),, people at Yamaha - if your reading this - I would be willing to do what "LHP" is doing and write up some AWESOME reports for you at 1/2 the price :grin:... Problem is, I am a nobody and LHP is obviously an Icon:wink:..
Considering what we are talking about here though,, I really cannot help but wonder if,, because there is obviously "pay" involved - some of LHP's opinions on the new Yamaha may have a certain spin to them. If there is one thing that I have learned in my short motorcycle touring life it is that that it is possible for all mighty $$$ to skew honest opinion. For this cause (transparency?),, I too think it would be great if LHP joined us here and clarified the question of whether or not he is on Yamaha's payroll..
Until he does, I will assume he is and continue to seek other professionals more unbiased opinions such as this writers thoughts who seems to clearly be just another person who loves his Yamaha's:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/

·
Registered
809 Posts
I 100% agree with your take on Long Haul's probable M.O. here Mr. Excellence and would also LOVE to have such a gig to support my sprouting touring habit!! Matter of fact,, even though I could probably not afford to quit my day job (I have young children at home),, people at Yamaha - if your reading this - I would be willing to do what "LHP" is doing and write up some AWESOME reports for you at 1/2 the price :grin:... Problem is, I am a nobody and LHP is obviously an Icon:wink:..
Considering what we are talking about here though,, I really cannot help but wonder if,, because there is obviously "pay" involved - some of LHP's opinions on the new Yamaha may have a certain spin to them. If there is one thing that I have learned in my short motorcycle touring life it is that that it is possible for all mighty $$$ to skew honest opinion. For this cause (transparency?),, I too think it would be great if LHP joined us here and clarified the question of whether or not he is on Yamaha's payroll..
Until he does, I will assume he is and continue to seek other professionals more unbiased opinions such as this writers thoughts who seems to clearly be just another person who loves his Yamaha's:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/
Lonestar,....if Paul is being FINANCIALLY compensated for his time, his runs, his speaking engagements, the all of it, to give ANY credibility to his thumb's up's, and thumb's down... or merely general opinions on the hobby, on ANY Yamaha bike, he must certainly, and morally, declare if he is a paid/compensated promoter of Yamaha motorcycles, their gear, their lubricant line, their 'everything'. That is, what must and should be done. If he is not in any way receiving one cent in compensation for his rides, YouTube videos, guest and 'oh look, who just showed up' appearances at formal and year-over-year planned enthusiast get-together's such as Sturgis, etc...then it ONLY enhances his on-line presence by declaring such, or publicly declaring that no ties, or affiliation with Yamaha USA has ever been in place.

If I bet a $100.00 that LHP has already been lurking on this thread...I have a strong faith that my money would stay safe in my wallet...., or someone will most certainly pass this thread onto him...and if there still remains no input...no declaration to our queries...that is about as good as "you folks pegged me."

My take, anyway.

All his comments on his Tenere, as well as the SVTC, can be absolutely genuine, his true opinions, regardless of 'deals in the backroom'....but that should be volunteered by the one receiving the benefits of any such deal being struck. That is and always was, how I defined personal credibility. Personal integrity...in all matters... :)

As for your example review, I must say that I found that particular review very much biased by the very personal fitness of the reviewer. Many of the 'negative' comments offered, were not so much WITH the features of the motorcycle...but that the man's butt hurt, or his back hurt, or he needed to put his soft seat upon, because of the ergonomics in how his BODY interacted with the ride. I was tired, I was hot. I was fatigued, my neck started hurting halfway through the ride....is not in my viewpoint, speaking about the bike...the features....but of how one bike more or less, gives less fatigue to his physical and medical requirements. So, in that case, this review is 'biased' as well...in only that the rider giving the review, has many stringent comportment requirements to have a 'spectacular ride'....so for myself, I dismissed it, only for that reason. My back and butt, and neck muscles, is/are not frail, which would diminish the quality of the ride over time, so the critiques didn't resonate with me.

Now, in contrast, I have no financial enrichment happening with my SVTC in view, (but in contrast, having spent the $$$'s!) to acquire and ride my 2018 SVTC, and so...my reviews, should be seen by your 'sniff test' standard as having no bias spread like butter upon toast. If you want a in-depth review, just ask. I do believe though that my post 'collective' paints a most wonderful ride and tour mount, to be had. I bought the bike. I purchase the gas. I pay for all creature comforts upon the tour...so, merely ask...but be ready to sit down with a coffee, beer, glass of water...and take it all in. Or...just peruse my posts since joining this website...and it's pretty darn clear to even a sight-challenged person....what my opinion of the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental is, for usage as a full luxury, dedicated Tour mount. That, could in of itself, be 'my review'. :)

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lonestar,....if Paul is being FINANCIALLY compensated for his time, his runs, his speaking engagements, the all of it, to give ANY credibility to his thumb's up's, and thumb's down... or merely general opinions on the hobby, on ANY Yamaha bike, he must certainly, and morally, declare if he is a paid/compensated promoter of Yamaha motorcycles, their gear, their lubricant line, their 'everything'. That is, what must and should be done. If he is not in any way receiving one cent in compensation for his rides, YouTube videos, guest and 'oh look, who just showed up' appearances at formal and year-over-year planned enthusiast get-together's such as Sturgis, etc...then it ONLY enhances his on-line presence by declaring such, or publicly declaring that no ties, or affiliation with Yamaha USA has ever been in place.

If I bet a $100.00 that LHP has already been lurking on this thread...I have a strong faith that my money would stay safe in my wallet...., or someone will most certainly pass this thread onto him...and if there still remains no input...no declaration to our queries...that is about as good as "you folks pegged me."

My take, anyway.

All his comments on his Tenere, as well as the SVTC, can be absolutely genuine, his true opinions, regardless of 'deals in the backroom'....but that should be volunteered by the one receiving the benefits of any such deal being struck. That is and always was, how I defined personal credibility. Personal integrity...in all matters... :)

As for your example review, I must say that I found that particular review very much biased by the very personal fitness of the reviewer. Many of the 'negative' comments offered, were not so much WITH the features of the motorcycle...but that the man's butt hurt, or his back hurt, or he needed to put his soft seat upon, because of the ergonomics in how his BODY interacted with the ride. I was tired, I was hot. I was fatigued, my neck started hurting halfway through the ride....is not in my viewpoint, speaking about the bike...the features....but of how one bike more or less, gives less fatigue to his physical and medical requirements. So, in that case, this review is 'biased' as well...in only that the rider giving the review, has many stringent comportment requirements to have a 'spectacular ride'....so for myself, I dismissed it, only for that reason. My back and butt, and neck muscles, is/are not frail, which would diminish the quality of the ride over time, so the critiques didn't resonate with me.

Now, in contrast, I have no financial enrichment happening with my SVTC in view, (but in contrast, having spent the $$$'s!) to acquire and ride my 2018 SVTC, and so...my reviews, should be seen by your 'sniff test' standard as having no bias spread like butter upon toast. If you want a in-depth review, just ask. I do believe though that my post 'collective' paints a most wonderful ride and tour mount, to be had. I bought the bike. I purchase the gas. I pay for all creature comforts upon the tour...so, merely ask...but be ready to sit down with a coffee, beer, glass of water...and take it all in. Or...just peruse my posts since joining this website...and it's pretty darn clear to even a sight-challenged person....what my opinion of the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental is, for usage as a full luxury, dedicated Tour mount. That, could in of itself, be 'my review'. :)

Cheers,

Joe
Very well put Joe!!! THANK YOU for your respected (by yours truly) take on this!!! Because of my work, I am not able to get on here a lot but when I do I really enjoy the continued ride reporting on the SVTC and would love to read anything you would like to share. We are still waiting for our test day on the new Gold Wing and then will probably decide between the new SVTC we spent a day on and it. As the ride season slows down we are seeing better and better deals on the bikes soon to be "left over" inventory. There seems to be a LOT of new/left overs out there to be had, I just told my wife today as we looked at a new/left over Gold Wing "Tour" for $22k (and change) that I felt like a kid in a candy shop. Those gorgeous "new" (2018) Yamaha's are also being offered for some amazing savings. It is DEFINITELY a GREAT time to be shopping for a new touring motorcycle with cash in ones pocket!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very well put Joe!!! THANK YOU for your respected (by yours truly) take on this!!! Because of my work, I am not able to get on here a lot but when I do I really enjoy the continued ride reporting on the SVTC and would love to read anything you would like to share. We are still waiting for our test day on the new Gold Wing and then will probably decide between the new SVTC we spent a day on and it. As the ride season slows down we are seeing better and better deals on the bikes soon to be "left over" inventory. There seems to be a LOT of new/left overs out there to be had, I just told my wife today as we looked at a new/left over Gold Wing "Tour" for $22k (and change) that I felt like a kid in a candy shop. Those gorgeous "new" (2018) Yamaha's are also being offered for some amazing savings. It is DEFINITELY a GREAT time to be shopping for a new touring motorcycle with cash in ones pocket!!
Lonestar Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I absolutely agree with you. All my purchased rides were always in the September/October of the current model year. There are always left over's from the current year to be had, whether a new Goldwing, a new SVTC, or a BMW, etc. The reason that I did not do my normal M.O. for the SVTC purchase, is because there was no current or prior year stock to be had. The SVTC was my first departure from the October, leaves falling Joe M.O. Even my 2008 GL1800 was a mid September purchase of that year. Dealers are motivated...same for jackets, gloves, anything but lubrication products. They have year upon year shelf life, lol.

So, good luck in which way you choose to decorate what's above the two wheels...:)

I'll give you later on, a "I rode a 2008 GL1800 and this is what I liked about it. This is what I would wish had been different." The same story book , will be for comments over the SVTC.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
I absolutely agree with you. All my purchased rides were always in the September/October of the current model year. There are always left over's from the current year to be had, whether a new Goldwing, a new SVTC, or a BMW, etc. The reason that I did not do my normal M.O. for the SVTC purchase, is because there was no current or prior year stock to be had. The SVTC was my first departure from the October, leaves falling Joe M.O. Even my 2008 GL1800 was a mid September purchase of that year. Dealers are motivated...same for jackets, gloves, anything but lubrication products. They have year upon year shelf life, lol.

So, good luck in which way you choose to decorate what's above the two wheels...:)

I'll give you later on, a "I rode a 2008 GL1800 and this is what I liked about it. This is what I would wish had been different." The same story book , will be for comments over the SVTC.

Cheers,

Joe
YEPPERS JOE!! It sounds to me like we are cut out of the same mold as that is exactly how I operate too!! I think what I may be reading here is that the reason you were not able to do this with your new SVTC is that it was a new release? I TOTALLY get that if that is the case!! It is interesting that now that the SVTC is a year old and "new" 19's are waiting in line for their turn at us consumers the dealerships are REALLY getting aggressive with the "old" 18's pricing. My wife got a call from the dealership that allowed us the fun all day test ride on the SVTC and they are right at $20k for our choice of color (it sounded to me like the salesman KNEW he was chatting with a women as "color" choice is REALLY important to my wife :grin:) on the SVTC. The dealership we are working with on the Wing ride also has a GREAT starting point for negotiations on the "old" left over 2018 Wings (see picture). We are trying to get a ride on the Dual Clutch model just to see what that is all about. As with the SVTC, their seems to be an endless debate going on as to whether this new Wing is worthy and I am a firm believer in finding out for myself first hand and not depend on internet chatter either pro or con as it seems like folks on both sides of the fence tend to take this stuff wayyyy to personal. Sorting it all out is a little like dealing with Teenagers,,, get two of them fighting and the truth usually lies somewhere between all their heated chat >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

So, good luck in which way you choose to decorate what's above the two wheels.../forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cheers,

Joe
YEPPERS JOE!! It sounds to me like we are cut out of the same mold as that is exactly how I operate too!! I think what I may be reading here is that the reason you were not able to do this with your new SVTC is that it was a new release? I TOTALLY get that if that is the case!! It is interesting that now that the SVTC is a year old and "new" 19's are waiting in line for their turn at us consumers the dealerships are REALLY getting aggressive with the "old" 18's pricing. My wife got a call from the dealership that allowed us the fun all day test ride on the SVTC and they are right at $20k for our choice of color (it sounded to me like the salesman KNEW he was chatting with a women as "color" choice is REALLY important to my wife /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png) on the SVTC. The dealership we are working with on the Wing ride also has a GREAT starting point for negotiations on the "old" left over 2018 Wings (see picture). We are trying to get a ride on the Dual Clutch model just to see what that is all about. As with the SVTC, their seems to be an endless debate going on as to whether this new Wing is worthy and I am a firm believer in finding out for myself first hand and not depend on internet chatter either pro or con as it seems like folks on both sides of the fence tend to take this stuff wayyyy to personal. Sorting it all out is a little like dealing with Teenagers,,, get two of them fighting and the truth usually lies somewhere between all their heated chat /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Hey LoneStar, if you haven’t done it I would suggest you check out some forums on the new wing. I’ve been reading of people having a lot more issues than have been reported with the SVTC. I won’t itemize them here, but the reports are from OWNERS which is important.

·
Registered
809 Posts
YEPPERS JOE!! It sounds to me like we are cut out of the same mold as that is exactly how I operate too!! I think what I may be reading here is that the reason you were not able to do this with your new SVTC is that it was a new release? I TOTALLY get that if that is the case!! It is interesting that now that the SVTC is a year old and "new" 19's are waiting in line for their turn at us consumers the dealerships are REALLY getting aggressive with the "old" 18's pricing. My wife got a call from the dealership that allowed us the fun all day test ride on the SVTC and they are right at $20k for our choice of color (it sounded to me like the salesman KNEW he was chatting with a women as "color" choice is REALLY important to my wife :grin:) on the SVTC. The dealership we are working with on the Wing ride also has a GREAT starting point for negotiations on the "old" left over 2018 Wings (see picture). We are trying to get a ride on the Dual Clutch model just to see what that is all about. As with the SVTC, their seems to be an endless debate going on as to whether this new Wing is worthy and I am a firm believer in finding out for myself first hand and not depend on internet chatter either pro or con as it seems like folks on both sides of the fence tend to take this stuff wayyyy to personal. Sorting it all out is a little like dealing with Teenagers,,, get two of them fighting and the truth usually lies somewhere between all their heated chat >:)
LoneStar, truly,.....the total and 'final' bottom line, is...that any bike, that has a running engine, getting you down the road, is better than none. Simple truth. I traded in our 2008 Goldwing for personal reasons. For personal reasons, did I purchase a SVTC. Those reasons, might not ever resonate with another. If you add your weight to the growing SVTC club...we'd love to carve your name into the boulder...but if that is to be a 2018 Wing...there is a 'boulder' out there, for that, LOL!

If you want all the 2018 tech, on either bike....for you, it's only going to be a 2018 model from either manufacturer. But having said that...IF ...if you want to Wing it.....I can heartily recommend you find yourself a new (seems there still are some out there...you might have to ride back from Alaska! (LOL)) 2017 model. That, I can guarantee you, you will love, will let you pack on over 300,000 miles (I'm not kidding, with proper care), and is the last of the true Goldwing Tour Mahicans. That my friend, is a GoldWing. The 2018 is a ST-1800 The 2017 is a GL1800, through and through!

I have (in lurking) read of so many DCT owners, that are having not-shifting out of a certain gear, cost of maintenance, front end falling apart, total inadequate suspension limits, front and back, and on and on....as Chief states as well as I do...you can demo a 2018, but man oh man...LURK, LURK, and oh, did I mention LURK upon GoldWing dedicated boards...and read for yourself, wide-spread dissatisfaction of ride and in some cases, owner 'buyer's remorse comments. In contrast...I have not read of one SVTC owner, that has stated Buyer's Remorse. They talk about what they like, and what they wish something could be changed, added to, or whatever, but I have not seen one post where someone outright states, "man...in hindsight, this purchase was a mistake'. If I come upon one, in the next 72 hours, lol...I'll suspect that someone felt challenged by this post and manufactured one for it to be 'on the record' lol.

But...test ride and choose away. I'm sure your wife has equal input into the final 2 wheeled solution. :) Mine certainly did! Whatever you two settle upon, it will be the right ride for the both of you...if just, ....because you are out riding upon it! :) Good luck in your due diligence and purchase price!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts