Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi y’all. It’s been a long time since I posted my ‘04 1100 bobber. It started out as a fully dressed 1100 custom with bags, windshield, floor boards...... the works.
Where she is at now. Bike is 100% de-badged -and custom painted purple with dark blue pinstriping, Cafe style billet aluminum Clip-on handle bars. Drag specialties bullet cased tachometer, chrome brake master cover, single custom left mirror, custom headlight brackets to poke headlight out of forks more, LED headlight bulb, custom wrap around headlight fairing, forks lowered 2.5”, 1-piece stainless braided brake line to the single front brake, 23” Ultima king spoke front wheel with chrome brake rotor, stock front fender with custom brackets for 23” clearance. Chrome Foot peg swap, 6” forward control extensions, machined Billet oil housing cover, Custom air cleaner cover, custom straight pipe exhaust, factory rear fender chopped for bobber look along with shortened subframe, LED bullet tail lights, 18” Rc Components solid rear wheel and stainless rotor, rear is lowered 3.25” on turnbuckle style lowering kit, barons shorty kick stand. I’d like to say it’s basically done but they never are lol.

Next step will Probly be a single carb setup for a nice open v-twin engine bay look.

If you have questions on any of the mods let me know, happy to answer them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
nicely done

the only thing I recognize as a VS1100 is the engine

how did you execute the single front brake? is it one of the original 1100 front calipers, obviously the wheel and rotor are different

also did you change the master cylinder on the grip? I get the impression the master cylinder on a bike with dual front calipers is different from bikes with just one - the front brake on my royal star feels very different from my 650.

I think maybe if you post 6 more times you will be able to post bigger photos on this site, or maybe you could post the photo on a hosting site and link to it with the
link-ends

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
Good looking ride. Very nice work.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

oh YEAH! there she is!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nicely done

the only thing I recognize as a VS1100 is the engine

how did you execute the single front brake? is it one of the original 1100 front calipers, obviously the wheel and rotor are different

also did you change the master cylinder on the grip? I get the impression the master cylinder on a bike with dual front calipers is different from bikes with just one - the front brake on my royal star feels very different from my 650.

I think maybe if you post 6 more times you will be able to post bigger photos on this site, or maybe you could post the photo on a hosting site and link to it with the
link-ends
Thanks for the tip on the pics, I posted 2 links hopefully they work.

For the single front brake, it’s a stock caliper, 23” single brake mount ultima king spoke wheel for ‘00 and up Harley softail, with an 11.5” Harley rotor, I swapped out the stock brake line setup for a single 1-piece brake line that goes direct from brake master to caliper. The stock 1100 brake line setup is a line that goes from brake master to a splitter manifold that mounts under the lower triple tree, then off that there’s a “y” line that goes from the splitter manifold and splits to run to each of the calipers. I basically simplified the setup for a single rotor, and gained some clearance for the wheel under the lower triple tree.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks good. I like the headlight fairing. I've been thinking of one of those bullet fairings from SS cutoms or a similar cafe style fairing from Memphis Shades. do they actually do anything to keep the wind off or is it purely for looks?

Coming from a sportbike previously, I also like the look of the clip-on bars, but do they hit the tank at all at full left or right lock? Do you need to lean far forward to reach them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good. I like the headlight fairing. I've been thinking of one of those bullet fairings from SS cutoms or a similar cafe style fairing from Memphis Shades. do they actually do anything to keep the wind off or is it purely for looks?

Coming from a sportbike previously, I also like the look of the clip-on bars, but do they hit the tank at all at full left or right lock? Do you need to lean far forward to reach them?

I was also looking at those bullet fairings, I like the look of them also. This headlight fairing is made from a plastic storage bin. A local guy uswd to make them, and I bought his last one, was only like $30, but I figured I’d see what it looks like on my bike before I drop some big money on a legit bullet fairing. I do like the look of this one and will have it paint matched to my bike. As for the wind, it does help deflect wind a little compared to having nothing.

As for the bars, you can turn them out enough to miss the tank at full turn, but where I have them set now for the look and feel I like, I installed 2 small fork stops to to limit the full steering angle a little. It hasn’t affected the riding ability of the bike for me in that respect. I rode it pretty hard and it’s a blast to ride. You do need to lean forward a little to grab the bars, but I’m 6’2” so it’s not really a problem for me. It’s a bit of a weird riding position at first, not quite a sport bike feel, but also not a total cruiser position either. But I like it and it has a look all it own. I came from sport bikes also and that’s kinda where the idea for the bars came from.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
with you guys talking about the handlebars and the riding position, now that you mention it, with the foot controls still in their forward location it looks like you would be somewhat folded in half riding the bike. Would be interesting to see some photos of you riding it.

There was a photo of someone riding a very expensive looking bike in the celebrity riding thread recently, I think it was Brad Pitt, and he was riding a bike and looked like he was doing a sit-up touching his toes, completely ridiculous looking, and all I could think was "didnt you ride the bike before you bought it?!

You can easily modify yours if its not ergonomic to ride, by bringing the grips up and back a bit more, or moving the controls back more like a sport bike - Im sure you will find the right balance.

Been wondering how stable it feels riding. Ive built a few recumbent bicycles and know it can be a challenge to get the rake and trail, steering head angle, wheel size... all to work together so the front wheel wants to stay pointed forward, both when stopped and when moving. I know its no fun riding a bicycle if the handlebars want to turn to the stops if you let go of the grips - so Im wondering how that all ended up with all the changes you made, and whether you had any rake and trail goals in mind while making the mods?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with you guys talking about the handlebars and the riding position, now that you mention it, with the foot controls still in their forward location it looks like you would be somewhat folded in half riding the bike. Would be interesting to see some photos of you riding it.

There was a photo of someone riding a very expensive looking bike in the celebrity riding thread recently, I think it was Brad Pitt, and he was riding a bike and looked like he was doing a sit-up touching his toes, completely ridiculous looking, and all I could think was "didnt you ride the bike before you bought it?!

You can easily modify yours if its not ergonomic to ride, by bringing the grips up and back a bit more, or moving the controls back more like a sport bike - Im sure you will find the right balance.

Been wondering how stable it feels riding. Ive built a few recumbent bicycles and know it can be a challenge to get the rake and trail, steering head angle, wheel size... all to work together so the front wheel wants to stay pointed forward, both when stopped and when moving. I know its no fun riding a bicycle if the handlebars want to turn to the stops if you let go of the grips - so Im wondering how that all ended up with all the changes you made, and whether you had any rake and trail goals in mind while making the mods?

I’ll see if I can get some rolling shots of it. As far as the riding position, it’s different for sure. But I like it. Kinda feels like you’re in a cock pit. Feels well planted. As for the ride, it rides very well. Steering is a little heavy when you're stopped or moving under 5mph. But other than that it’s very nice up through 110mph plus. I do ride it regularly and ride it on the hard side, but that’s me. Still slow cruises nicely too though. As for rake/trail, honestly I didn’t do much math on the setup initially, I just kinda went for what I wanted in a custom bike. A friend did some math on it though afterwards and found with what I all did there wasn’t a ton of difference rake and trail wise compared to my stock setup. I can let the bars go and it tracks straight down the highway and bars are steady ahead when I sit at a stop light. It doesn’t monkey around on me. Overall I’m very happy with where it’s at. And it’s different from most of what’s out there these days in the bobber world, most are cookie cutter bikes(apes, no fenders, potato chip springer seat). I wanted to show what could be done with one of these bikes with unconventional mods and factory parts used together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts