Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! A little help, please?

tl:dr - I purchased some new OEM mirrors for my 2001 V-Start 650 Classic and, the stems are shorter than what was there when I purchased it last year. They're about 1.5" shorter and, I really liked the longer stems. Is there a source for OEM looking stems of different lengths?

Long version - I've got two rides, the '01 650 and a '14 Stratoliner S. From the time I got it this spring, I didn't like the placement of the Stratoliner's mirrors. It had shorter stems and, I can't see much in my lane right behind me as well as I can on the 650 - my arms are in the way. The mirrors on the 650 had been showing signs of rough treatment since I got it (someone wrenched on it with toothed jaw pliers and there was rust on the nuts and, the shafts are surface-rusting). The final straw came a couple of weeks ago while washing it - a nearly dime sized flake of chrome came off the back of the mirror. Time to bite the bullet and refresh those puppies. My plan was, once I received them, was to see if they'd fit the Stratoliner too and, if so, get another set so I'd have the longer stems on the Strat.

When I got the parts yesterday, lo and behold, the stems are the same length as what's on the Stratoliner - short. So, either Yamaha has shortened them with updated part numbers:
4NK-26280-00-00 updated to 4NK-26280-10-00 (Left)
5BN-26290-00-00 updated to 5BN-26290-20-00 (Right)
Or, I didn't have OEM mirrors in the first place.

I'd like to have longer stems (on both bikes!) but otherwise keep the OEM look. My Google-fu has totally failed me here. Does anyone know where I can get longer stems or, OEM looking good quality mirrors with longer stems?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I hate to be capt obvious, can you clean up the old stems and put them on the new mirrors, at least on the left side?

I think Yamaha put the same mirrors on all the bikes, the last ones you had probably were not OEM, esp if they rusted out and got flaky.

A pair of real OEM mirrors is about $100 on bikebandit.

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to be capt obvious, can you clean up the old stems and put them on the new mirrors, at least on the left side?

I think Yamaha put the same mirrors on all the bikes, the last ones you had probably were not OEM, esp if they rusted out and got flaky.

A pair of real OEM mirrors is about $100 on bikebandit.
Well, here's where I am now... I decided to go ahead and put on the new mirrors while I continued my search. The mirrors have clearly been replaced with non-OEM. The right side has had a Right-Hand Thread stem forced into the Left-Hand thread mount. :surprise: Looks like I'll have to replace the Front Master Cylinder to properly fix this. :crying:

The left side - Yes! Was able to clean up a RHT long stem enough to re-use. So, I at least have one mirror sticking out far enough to see right behind me. The other stem - I had let it get too far to clean up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Put a heli coil in stripped hole. Will only cost about $10.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Put a heli coil in stripped hole. Will only cost about $10.
Left hand thread metric helicoil? Does such a creature exist? Searching...

Well, I can find a complete Right Hand kit on Amazon (Drill, Tap, Insert, Insertion Tool) for $25 but, when I go Left Hand, I can find inserts only for $51 (pack of 6) or, sets with Tap, Inserts and Tool (no Drill) for north of $100. I'm seeing that it should be M10 x 1.25 - anyone confirm that?

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Wow, you are right. I only see heli core kits for left hand threads. I would call a local machine shop. Bet they would have them and sell you just one. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I keep typing ideas and think about what I typed, then erasing it

this just sucks

It might be easier to put a left side mirror (with the right hand threads) on the right side of the bike, maybe run a 10mm tap thru the threads to clean them up, or use a right hand thread helicoil. The left side mirror will flip over the other way.

The only reason there are left and right hand threads is so when you push forward on the mirror it tends to get tighter. I would think they would be the other way so if the wind blows the mirror back it tightens up. As long as the lock nut is tight and the stem is snug, it doesnt matter which way the threads are - if it doesnt move it doesnt matter.

A replacement brake grip could be a pain... when the master cylinder has air its more work to fill it and bleed the air out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep typing ideas and think about what I typed, then erasing it

this just sucks

It might be easier to put a left side mirror (with the right hand threads) on the right side of the bike, maybe run a 10mm tap thru the threads to clean them up, or use a right hand thread helicoil. The left side mirror will flip over the other way.

The only reason there are left and right hand threads is so when you push forward on the mirror it tends to get tighter. I would think they would be the other way so if the wind blows the mirror back it tightens up. As long as the lock nut is tight and the stem is snug, it doesnt matter which way the threads are - if it doesnt move it doesnt matter.

A replacement brake grip could be a pain... when the master cylinder has air its more work to fill it and bleed the air out.
Well, my Right Hand Thread non-OEM (long) stem cleaned up enough that I'm using it on the Left side (for now) and, the new RHT is forced back in to the LHT hole on the Right side. I think, if I do anything at this point, I'll probably replace the Master Cylinder. I can get one for $150 from Partzilla. And, I've bled a Master Cylinder before - it's no big deal. At least, it wasn't on the car I did. But I'll probably wait for warmer weather to deal with it.

Thanks, everybody who chimed in here!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts