Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have told you all my best friend is riding my 650. Well also you know I got hit by a car on it, he layed it down when the back tire blew, plus it has 145,000 miles on it.
So it has some rough spots.
I was looking on Craigslist and a guy here in Pensacola had a 650 classic that got flooded, water in the crank case, water in the gas tank, water in the carbs, he dumped everything and filled it with marvel mystery oil. He didn't try starting it. Well we could use all the peripherals to make my old 650 look good. So we went and looked at it. Here are the pics, we got it for $200, we may one day take the engine apart and build a bobber out of it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,004 Posts
Sounds like a good project. Keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,101 Posts
@Jspree I have a buddy here in Virginia riding a 2004 Road King that was under 12' of water in Hurricane Katrina. He bought it for $1200 after the PO had cleaned it up and replaced all fluids.

It had ~3K miles and was practically new before the flooding. It now has 72K miles and has never had a major issue. I will say that my buddy took it apart for the most part and gave it a second through cleaning and corrosion abetment. He says he probably won't sell it due to the type of title it has, but honestly, the two-tone blue paint still looks good.

I know many people will warn us of taking a flooded bike, but someone with some mechanic skills can make it while again. I think the bobber idea will work well. Just get into the bikes guts now before major corrosion sets in, especially the electrical parts.

·
Registered
2003 Vstar 1100 Silverado
52 Posts
Wow, let's call that a great investment, as you will surely get your money's worth out of that steal!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Just the parts alone if you sold them you would recoup your money and then some. Although I just can not see myself on a bobber I do like the look of them especially when it is the vision of the owner that gets completed. I have seen some cool projects since I have been a member on this forum. I only ask that if you do bob it out...that you start a thread and document it.

·
Registered
2006, Yamaha, Royal Star Tour Deluxe
108 Posts
Hi Jspree
From my point of view, resuscitation of a flooded motorcycle is always a better solution than selling for few bucks, anyway, maybe the former owner doesn’t have the time or patience to act in this direction, or whatever could be his reasons to give away the bike…Respect for the new owner that will revive the bike!!!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
You will be busy looks like it has a lot of good stuff! Just the windshield is worth what you paid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts