Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish I could find deals like this...even if the motor is toast...I’ve seen a few 650 engines rather cheap on eBay recently...I’m really wanting another bike, just can’t decide between going bigger for more power, or smaller for more practical commuting.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well we got the windshield changed and the entire rear render, lights saddlebags, seats changed. Found out the rear lights plug was different , had to strip harness out of both and rewire the original bike. Friday we attack the front and clean the tank and change it. Next week it will be change the exhaust. We are using the new front wheel , but the old disk.

Start of the day pic:

End of the day pic:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What I really like is the original was just the was just a loop for the saddlebag, this is the silverado and it has a heavy frame

Original loop:

Saddlebag Frame:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
maybe the former owner doesn’t have the time or patience
The PO is 75 yrs old and still works 5 days a week. He owns the avionics shop at the local airport and a flight school.He doesn't have the time and he has plenty of money to just buy another running bike and not spend his off time rebuilding this one.
Me I retired ( at first not because I wanted too , Medical retirement, now I love it) , So I have the time to play with a project and building the bobber is letting me do what I haven't done in years , get creative . I will not be buying fenders, I am going to take the originals from my classic and cut them to the shape I want , the old school way.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
End of the second day of parts swap. we cleaned out the tank with some diesel, sloshed it around, drained it took out pet cock cleaned it, slosh a little seafoam, emptied it, buttoned it back up, no rust no dirt, grey paint on the bottom. transferred the gas, good to go.newer looking speedo, fender. mounted the luggage rack. Had to change headlight bulb, stripped the screw on the side of the housing ( of course) went to marine supply and bought stainless screws for the headlight. Here is the picture of the end of second day.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
End of the second day of parts swap. we cleaned out the tank with some diesel, sloshed it around, drained it took out pet cock cleaned it, slosh a little seafoam, emptied it, buttoned it back up, no rust no dirt, grey paint on the bottom. transferred the gas, good to go.newer looking speedo, fender. mounted the luggage rack. Had to change headlight bulb, stripped the screw on the side of the housing ( of course) went to marine supply and bought stainless screws for the headlight. Here is the picture of the end of second day.

View attachment 99795
Damn JIS screws. I remembered there is a JIS screwdriver in the tool pouch

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
What's a tool pouch, Oh you mean that thing when you buy the bike new that never shows up when the next person buys the bike.
I waas surprised to find the tool pouch in the bike I purchased.........but the PO probably didnt know how to use anything in it.......

Are you planning on trying to fire the bike up or just tare it down ?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The flood bike we are going to pull stator cover and clutch cover. Depending on what we find will determine if we try to fire it up. I need a starter solenoid. Being underwater it blew the fuse but electrolysis ate the terminal for the hot wire.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts