Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a maurder now...and looking for something with a little
more power on the open road. Can anyone tell me if this is a good
bike? I have only had kaw, and Suzuki in the past. Any problems
with this bike...or anything i need to be aware of? thanks!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Xvs 1100

I have a 2001 1100 and I love it. I ride everyday but not that much on the open road. I use it 90% in town. It is a very comfortable bike for that purpose, however, if I was doing a lot of time on the freeway I would get a larger bike. I picked the 1100 because it is light enough to manage in town and have plenty of power. It also handles the freeway when I have to go from Tuscon to Phoenix just fine but it does vibrate a bit at freeway speeds (90). So if I was spending a lot of time on the interstate I would go to the next bigger size. It is very dependable!

DCG

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 07 1100 Classic and occassionally do a 50 mile commute on Interstate 80 and the bike handles it just fine, plenty of power to avoid nut jobs. I did add an airhorn though. May add a windshield next as those wide handlbars try to turn me into a parasail at speed!

·
Registered
49 Posts
V-Star Advisability As Upgrad

Having owned a 2005 V-Star 1100 since that year, I have put about 5,000 miles on it. Mustang, Corbin and Pacific Coast Star all make excellent seats for comfort that help to make the bike even more comfortable than the stock seat. As for vibration, changes to better shocks and springs help as do changes in power and plenty of add ons are available. This is one of the most maneuverable and manageable rides around town. On the Highway, even stock the bike is exceptionally manageable and predictable. The earlier versions are better because they do not contain certain smog equipment that can be a problem when upgrading. As for durability, properly cared for this motorcycle might well go 350,000 miles without changing cylinders or pistons. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
About the only thing I can think of that would be a problem is that you have to drop the front exhaust pipe to change the oil filter...unless the bike has the spin-on oil filter conversion.

I ride with a group that has a member with an 1100 Classic and that thing sounds good with the exhaust he has on there. His complaint is the one I listed and he tells me his next investment will be the oil filter adapter kit.

Oh...and he loves his stock seat although his wife complains about the passenger pillion!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, the oil change procedure stinks but is not difficult, put anti-sieze on the bolts so the continue to come off easy. I put Cobra pipes on my bike (slash cuts?) and the response and sound improved greatly. I did not rejet the carbs, the dealer said I really didn't need to. My wife complained about the pass. seat too so I bought her her own bike (650 Classic). Problem solved!

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are a couple filter relocation kits out there. My favorite is the Jardine. Pacific Coast Star also offers a kit. I put Cobra Speedster Slashdowns on my 1100 any everybody likes them, although I used the quiet baffle and purchased a jet kit. It is not absolutely necessary with the quiet baffle. Becoming familiar with carb removal and installation is the only way to go to save installation charges. Adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw with the stage 1 Dynojet kit is the only challenge and that challenge can be overcome with screwing the AFMS in to lightly seated and then out 2.5 turns and then forget it. The Pillion pad has a comfortable replacement through Pacific Coast Star and they also have a cool gooseneck for the pipes.
zioo

·
Registered
3 Posts
01 V-1100 Classic

had mine 3 years now.........great bike.....plenty of power. Took it to Arkansas and had no problems........headed to Tenn. and the Dragon's Tail next week.
Stock seats are a bit of a pain in the butt after an hour or so. That's my next accessory.....new seats, but wondering still what kind to get. Oh yeah.........the oil change thing...........bought a relocation kit...must do if you change your own oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think all stock seats are a pain in the butt after an hour. I have a Stratoliner and 90 minutes is about it w/o stopping. Need gas by then anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts