Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a 99 V-Star Classic, with under 5800 miles. I've been looking for a while, and the asking price on this is bike is pretty good. Can I assume that not many changes have been made to the bikes over the years. Yes, I understand its 10 years old. My concern is what items should I be looking for to see if the bike has been maintained.

A little background on me... I've been riding off-road for over 35 years. I'm looking for a bike to get me to and from work, and a little 2 up cruising with the wife from time to time.

Are there any issues I should be concerned about, example electrical problems, or engine issues, etc. Or are the 1100's as reliable as I would expect a Yamaha to be?

Thanks for you help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to look at the bike Sunday. Lets say the representation was off a little bit. I was told it was a 99 V-Star 1100. when I looked at it I got the feeling something wasn't quite right. I asked to see the title. The bike was a 98 650. The mileage of the title was about 800 more than what was one the bike. The seller stated the speedo gear was making a noise, so he replaced the entire speedo.

So lets recap.... incorrect year.... incorrect displacement.... tampered mileage.... The mileage didn't bother me too much, the main issue I had is I drove 90 minutes(each way) to see the bike. Had the seller been honest, he would have saved us lost time, as I would had not made the trip to see the bike. I did test ride the bike, all was fine, but, its just not quite what I'm looking for.

So the search continues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Title: "Looking at a 99 1100 need help" First statement: "I'm looking at a 99 V-Star Classic", part of the confusion is yours. By definition a V-Star Classic is the 650cc.

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
Title: "Looking at a 99 1100 need help" First statement: "I'm looking at a 99 V-Star Classic", part of the confusion is yours. By definition a V-Star Classic is the 650cc.
by definition a V Star Classic is either a 650 OR an 1100. take it easy. what the guy says here in one post doesn't necessarily reflect on the exact communication between him and the dealer who appears to have grossly misled him.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the kind words bevo1981. Since I've been unable to find exactly what I'm looking for, I've started looking at newer to new units. Since I'm now including new units in my search, I'm also going to look at the new 950 and 1300's. I'm just not sold that the 950 will be large enough... I don't want the "perceived" lack of power force me to upgrade in a year or two. I'm hoping to test both models this weekend. I cannot discount the possibility of Honda VTX 1300 as well, as the dealer carries both Yamaha and Honda.

I'll update the search as it continues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO: The fuel injected 950 is significantly better than the carb 1100in many ways. The valve adjustment schedule of 16,000 miles vs 4,000 alone makes it significantly less expensive to maintain. The downside is that Yamaha stopped their 2009 production runs early based on their perception of the economy so finding one might turn into a challenge. I'd be surprised if Yamaha produces any 1100 models in 2010.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to throw a log over a few machines last night.

09 V-Star 950 - Felt comfortable, light (relatively speaking), may need to upgrade the seat, foot position seemed good, price excellent. Has EFI, and I like the belt drive.

07 V-Star 1300 - Saddle felt huge. Tank was wide, which made the bike seem wide. I didn't feel as comfortable as I was on the 950. Priced to move. Cons seemed wide.

08/09 V-Star 1100 - Surprisingly comfortable. it fit me well. Yes I know the 950 is a sexier bike, but the ol reliable still has me thinking... Cons No EFI, and is being phased out.

07 Honda VTX 1300C - very comfortable for position the driver. The driver and passenger seat is leaves a lot to be desired, the seat will need to be changed. Cons No EFI.

All the bikes were priced to move, so price is now not part of the decision. It comes down to the which bike I'm core comfortable on, and of course which bike the wife thinks looks better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
All the bikes are good choices, i just got a vstar 2000 xvs 1100 custom and like it. havent had any problems yet. I have heard good things about them so far, a little cold natured, but the choke helps it warm up ok. i get about 42 mpg. after about an hour you need to rest a bit, seat bottoms about every 1-1.5 hours or so and it helps to get off and walk around, but the bike shifts easy, runs smooth, has good breaking ability, and adequate power for me being a new rider. it sounds good, not very loud, steers good, some road vibration at highway speed but manageable. i would like it to have a tach and fuel gage but not an absolute given the nice big speedo and tank. I am pleased with the bike , i got for about 3900 and had about 5100 miles, which for what i had compared it to was reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts