Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen (or ladies...no insult intended),
I am currently on a V-Star 1100 and i have been looking at moving up to something for longer road trips. I have been learning a lot about HD Road Kings on another forum. Finally realized i have overlooked the Road Star. I am thinking about trading the 1100 in for a used RS. I see some really good deals out there for bikes with 20k miles or less.
Anything specific to the Road Star i should keep in mind when shopping? Any tips are greatly appreciated. FYI, i am capable/confident of doing all my own work short of an engine rebuild. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Road*

sparky,

Go for it, they are reliable bikes. They went to 1700 cc's somewhere around 04 and injected a few years later. Lots of custom parts for Roadstars.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get a Roadstar... much better value than a Road King unless you want to spend the extra dough for the "Harley" lifestyle B.S.! You will also pay more for everything else to do with your Harley... most dealerships even charge a higher rate for labor on a Harley than on a metric even though its the same mechanics working on both!

Roadie changed from 1602cc to 1670cc in 2004 and changed to electronic fuel injection instead of Mikuni carbed in 2008 I think...

Other than the displacement and change from carb to EFI, they are identical and most aftermarket parts work on both.

Have fun brother!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I average 42mpg+/- out of my 1100. Mostly highway miles. What are you guys getting?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I average 42mpg+/- out of my 1100. Mostly highway miles. What are you guys getting?

I was doing the same route as you. I currently have a VSTAR 1100 Classic, Looked at the Road King, Roadstar then the Liner's.

So AZ bike week was out here last week and took them all for a test ride.

My conclusions on the RoadStar, I loved the bike. Plenty of Power for what I am going to do and need. Looks like a HD, sounds like an HD and shakes like an HD. As others have said, plenty of after market parts and the vibrations was not even an issue with me.

I then took the Liner out, The power is far, and I mean far greater on the liner. The handling was a lot better on the liner as well. I was able to lean it effortlessly. I personally like the Corbin side cases for this bike. But it was the get up and go that really sold me.
If you wear a Full Face Helmet, The Liner's gas tank mounted speedo was easier to see then the RoadStar's.

Either one I would like to have. But since I can only go with one, It would be the liner. And for the $1000 or so difference in price, the liner still stands out.

There is a forum "roadstarclinic.com". They had mentioned they get about 35-38 MPH for the RoadStar.

Road King I liked too, but at this point I do not want to spend 20K for a bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't think anyone on this forum would deny that the Roadliner is superior to the Roadstar if you can afford either! New Roadie is 1670cc and the Roadliner is displacing around 1850cc. However, I know in my neck of the woods you will be at much more than a $1000 difference between a new Roadie and Liner. Also, at least in my neck of the woods, used Roadies are selling for less. All this is as it should be... the Liner is a Star flagship!

I don't see myself ever trading the Roadie for a Liner though as I don't think there would be enough difference in the two for practical use... even my 1602cc '01 Roadie w/ Hypercharger and Dynojet kit has more umph than I will ever use on a freeway! The way I see it, the only justification to trade up would be for a full-dresser, Like a Star Venture, Honda Goldwing, Kawi Voyager or a Harley Ultra-Classic (if I win the lottery and want to burn money!)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've test ridden a handfull of Roadkings, rides like a Caddy on the highway, unfortunately not one that didn't shake so bad it would put various extremeties to sleep. I always got the same response "the stage 1 wasn't done right" or "the 'thingy' here or there just needs to be adjusted". Seems odd to me that every Roadking has the same problem. I'm on another forum to learn about HD's and i see a LOT of guys with problems on brand new bikes.

Anyway, this summer i plan on test riding some Roadstars, Kawi Nomad looks nice and maybe i'll give the Liner a try. Decent mileage is on the top of my list as i plan on doing some road trips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Decent mileage is on the top of my list as i plan on doing some road trips.
That comment right there should steer you away from the liner. Heft and weight not only burns more fuel but tires as well. Best cruiser I have ever owed, but it does come at a cost...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sold on the Road Star. My 09 FI gets any where from 42-49 MPG. depending on the riding conditions and load. (1 or 2 up) and no engine mods, all stock. I ride with those Harley guys and they are sporting some damn nice bikes. I've rode both and have determined one thing HD stands for High Dollar. Accessories for the Roadies are endless and anything you can do to that Road King you can do to a Roadie. If it makes you feel better pull the badges of the tank and alot of people won't know the difference. Browse some of the photo galleries. Good Luck on your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought my first roadie, (Silverado S) three weeks ago and am glad I did. I did the same thing as you and looked at the Road King and just couldn't see paying that kind of money when the roadie's a very capable ride. More than enough power and enough style to turn a few heads.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. I'm steering towards a Roadstar. Definitely going to do some test riding.

People refer to the liner as 'dresser' that kinda pushes me away from that, i have a mild fear of dressers being top heavy. I know i'm older (and suppose to be wiser), here is an incedent that occured many moons ago (let you know a little more about me).

Vocational college,Honda sponsored motorcycle repair. Should have graduated 1988. I left 2 weeks before graduation, in the middle of the last section (frame theory). One of the dumbest things i ever did, young dumb and full of sh*t. Anyway, i watched a strong gust of wind, and bad parking judgement, push my instructors Goldwing over on it's side. He gave me the task of getting it back up. I couldn't even budge the thing. After 3 of us got it back up i had to push the thing into the shop for inspection and repair. That experience has made me think of dressers as top heavy beasts. I don't want to spend my energy having to 'muscle' my bike around.

At that time my riding experience was:1974 Yamaha 175 with 5 gallon 'desert' tank and 1970 Honda CL350. I wish i still had that Honda.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey if I could talk my wife into it I would have a Roadstar right now. Money is not the issue she just dislikes motorcycles. There is a 03 Roadstar Silverado in Houston right now with 16,000 miles on her with Cobra exhaust in the dark grey color. It was 4,500 dollars but they raised it to 5g probaly because they were getting offers less than 4,500. I am tempted to go behind the old lady's back. if I did I would still keep my 650 for around town. http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2494319052.html and another one, http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2469834852.html But I think I would prefer the Midnight, http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2444111254.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts