Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2017 Bolt R-Spec for sale. Its new/old stock. The price they quoted me is $7295, after taxes, etc. it'll be closer $8000. Comparing it to other dealers, it seems high for a new/old stock bike, especially since I'll buy another $500 in accessories. Or is it a good deal? Could use some advice from the peanut gallery.

·
Registered
917 Posts
He is giving you a 10% discount, here in Pensacola they will give you a 10% discount for being active duty or a veteran. So a Vet can get a 2020 Bolt R Spec for $7,999 minus a 10% discount or $7,299. So you are saving $4 for a 3 year old motorcycle.
It's up to you ,how bad do you want the bike. I think I would look at other dealers, some on cycletrader would give you a better deal and ship it to your door.You already know the bike and like it, now it is just finding the right price.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,658 Posts
I'll say that in Houston you can get a New 2019 cheaper. But a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay. It's up to you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I found local dealers with stock they already have bought are looking to get rid of it.
Some places buy one or two for display and all new ones sold are brought in from corporate, thus no price breaks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He did say it was still in a crate. So if it's from corporate, makes sense that he didn't come down more. But considering I have found a 2020 Bolt for the same price and its at a closer dealer, I can't bring myself to get it. Its not an R-Spec, but there isn't a real big difference between them.

He is giving you a 10% discount, here in Pensacola they will give you a 10% discount for being active duty or a veteran. So a Vet can get a 2020 Bolt R Spec for $7,999 minus a 10% discount or $7,299. So you are saving $4 for a 3 year old motorcycle.
It's up to you ,how bad do you want the bike. I think I would look at other dealers, some on cycletrader would give you a better deal and ship it to your door.You already know the bike and like it, now it is just finding the right price.
Do dealers really ship? Seems like it would end up being around the same price after shipping costs.

how badly do they want to get rid of a 'new' bike that's been sitting on their lot taking up space for 3 years? especially in this economy? i'd recommend finding out.
I thought the same thing, and if he isn't gonna go lower, he will never get rid of it. I figure if I can get him down around 6500 that would be on the high end of a good deal.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes , some have their own people others have a service, delivery is usually around $300, some higher, some lower. The place I got my last bike through it was $200 in state, but we used it as an excuse to go see my sister and to go to Daytona. It was a fun ride home on my new to me bike and a 480 mile ride.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought the same thing, and if he isn't gonna go lower, he will never get rid of it. I figure if I can get him down around 6500 that would be on the high end of a good deal.
Sitting for 2 - 3 years in a crate is not much different than sitting anywhere, other than there is no gas in the system. All the other fluids though....just sitting. And the tires....just sitting. I'd jump on the new one. Either way...good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec
21 Posts
I've noticed one thing about Bolt ownership around me (Utah, so your location might differ). It seems like a lot of people buy them as a first or second bike. Then they either decide that riding isn't for them, or they realize that they want a cruiser that has some range. They frequently get traded in and sold with very low miles. Right now there are several 2017 Bolts in the valley with less than 4k miles for under 6800. (one only has 2 miles on it...who trades a bike in after 2 miles?) There are 2 major pros in my mind here...1. you can get a bike that is already past the break in stage (unless it only has 2 fickin miles on it). 2. quite often you can get a lot of accessories thrown in that the previous owner has no use for anymore (saddle bags, intakes, exhausts, sissybars etc...)

Also, as an owner of a 2014 Bolt R-spec (such a fun bike)...the only difference is the rear shocks...they aren't Ohlins and they aren't great. I wouldn't be dead set on an r-spec unless you just like the look of the Ohlin pretenders (guilty as charged :D)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've noticed one thing about Bolt ownership around me (Utah, so your location might differ). It seems like a lot of people buy them as a first or second bike. Then they either decide that riding isn't for them, or they realize that they want a cruiser that has some range. They frequently get traded in and sold with very low miles. Right now there are several 2017 Bolts in the valley with less than 4k miles for under 6800. (one only has 2 miles on it...who trades a bike in after 2 miles?) There are 2 major pros in my mind here...1. you can get a bike that is already past the break in stage (unless it only has 2 fickin miles on it). 2. quite often you can get a lot of accessories thrown in that the previous owner has no use for anymore (saddle bags, intakes, exhausts, sissybars etc...)

Also, as an owner of a 2014 Bolt R-spec (such a fun bike)...the only difference is the rear shocks...they aren't Ohlins and they aren't great. I wouldn't be dead set on an r-spec unless you just like the look of the Ohlin pretenders (guilty as charged :D)
I see lots of used ones around me, most though are at least a 2 hour drive away. The only thing I like about the R-Spec is they come in different colors other than just black. Not really the deal breaker, but I have a midnight custom 650, so I've all ready done the blacked out thing.

·
Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec
21 Posts
Yeah, I get that. I wish the NA market got the same style options as Japan. I love this combo found on the Japanese site. The silver and blue and with what looks like polished or brushed faces on the wheels (could just be reflection). Still hate the 20 lb. exhaust, but damn...this looks sharp. I also think that in 2017 or 2018, they started using a flange-less fuel tank. That is one thing that still aesthetically bugs me about mine. (2014 with flange tank)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I see lots of used ones around me, most though are at least a 2 hour drive away. The only thing I like about the R-Spec is they come in different colors other than just black. Not really the deal breaker, but I have a midnight custom 650, so I've all ready done the blacked out thing.
I went 480 miles to get the bike I am riding now and road it home and just remember Black Bikes Matter

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah, I get that. I wish the NA market got the same style options as Japan. I love this combo found on the Japanese site. The silver and blue and with what looks like polished or brushed faces on the wheels (could just be reflection). Still hate the 20 lb. exhaust, but damn...this looks sharp. I also think that in 2017 or 2018, they started using a flange-less fuel tank. That is one thing that still aesthetically bugs me about mine.
View attachment 94456
I'm looking at Bolts for next year. I really like that combo. I wonder if it can be ordered?

·
Registered
917 Posts
No I am just a Yamaha Freak, I have been riding Yamahas for 50yrs this year. I started racing Yamaha YZs in 1970

1 - 20 of 20 Posts