1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the past, I had a 1982 Maxim 650....and loved it. It was fast
and had lots of get and go. Handled well and was very smooth,
for a smaller bike. I really liked the look too. But they stopped
makin' em. So, what would be a bike with good value now?

This is just a toy, plan to ride on weekends. Trailer bike to a
National Park...stuff like that!

I have noticed, used Harleys are getting cheaper and more inline with used bikes of the same size. Economic recessions, have a way of adjusting values, which is a good thing!

But Harleys are still over priced and I don't understand why people fall for em. I just don't understand why.

I say this because, Harleys were all the rage, for a while. So, I looked at them, first.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Can't say with any authority, but reading posts on this forum, the 950 seems to be all the rage in the Yamaha world right now, I ride an 1100 but anything in the Yamaha line is a good choice, I think. Lots of folks like the 650 right on up to liners, there is something there for everyone, good luck in your search. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lots to choose from

I don't have anything bad to say about Harley, nice bikes. But, no doubt you can find a good metric bike for less money. Lots to choose from so look around and see what trips your trigger.

I had an 1100 V Star and a Stratoliner. Liked them both. Still have the Liner. Years ago I had a honda 900. Liked it too. My buddy has a V Star 950 he likes it a lot. Odds are what ever you buy you will be happy

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to agree about the harleys...Way too costly and the add ons are way over priced as well..I think it is the sound that riders like..I have a Yamaha 650 with road house pipes and it sounds just as good.In fact I have had people tell me,,nice looking harley..I say nothing in return...I also have a v star 1300 another nice ride...I have always like the yamaha bikes and always will...I think one could darn near buy two for the price of one harley...John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Dog!
I started last fall as a first time rider. 6'-1" 210lbs.
Found a 2002 Vstar 650 Classic, tip-top condition, at a great price.
Majority of my riding is cruising around country backroads 40-50 mph.
If this is the type of riding you do, I don't think you can beat the value/quality of the bullet-proof 650. It'll do anything you ask of it.
Now if I eventually get into longer highway trips - a Roadstar will probably be in my garage :) .

·
Registered
923 Posts
I will probably be looking at the 1300 next year but I have to say that the Stryker looks damn nice too. If you're talking about just weekend riding and back road kind of rides then I have to agree that the 950 would probably be the best. There will always be that time that you need just a little more speed and you'll want to make sure you have it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I got my '05 1100 new and i love it. Tho i am looking at something larger for longer road trips. I'm hoping i get to have both:D All the Yamaha Star line have a good reputation for reliability.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Check out the V-star 1300 tourer.
I came from a Boulevard C50 (loved it) and traded up to the 1300.
Was a good move, plenty of power, good gas mileage, liquid cooled, comfortable ride, huge saddle bags. Just need to add a set of Memphis lowers to that stock windshield and your all set.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I zeroed in on your "good value" statement. If good value to you means reasonably priced (depreciation has taken most of its toll), then it'll be the V Star 650/1100 line up. As with everything pre-owned make sure you have a good feel for its mechanical condition. Ask for maintenance records and such. If you aren't comfortable with the mechanical stuff, get an independent qualified opinion. Touchy-feelie stuff really doesn't work. If you get that sense, walk away from the deal. You want a good running and safe riding bike. Cosmetics are obvious. It's in the eye of the beholder. A little elbow grease will do a nice bike better. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was really looking at the 950 and the Suzuki M50. Both great choices. The M50 seemed like a good choice with fuel injection, a powerful motor for the size, nice looks, and shaft drive. The Yammy is a belt drive on the new ones, which I like and has fuel injection... hard to go wrong with either.

·
Administrator
13,914 Posts
I was really looking at the 950 and the Suzuki M50. Both great choices. The M50 seemed like a good choice with fuel injection, a powerful motor for the size, nice looks, and shaft drive. The Yammy is a belt drive on the new ones, which I like and has fuel injection... hard to go wrong with either.
unless you go with the m50. which is the wrong choice.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I own a 950 Tourer, and I can't say enough good about it.:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or how about a vintage Maxim? You can pick them up for a song and some are still in really good condition. Nice looking classic bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts