Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 950
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my 2012 950 seat over the winter. I am blessed with sciatica, so the higher the better for me. When you are looking for a new seat, how do you try out different models and see which one is right? I don't really see any physical motorcycle seat stores around me.

·
Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
128 Posts
ED seats are a can't miss. Absolutely phenomenal seats. Ergonomical, comfortable, construction, customer service, etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,648 Posts
Have you thought about getting it recovered with extra padding. I did it to my Strat and it cost me $160.00.
Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive side-view mirror Automotive tire
Fuel tank Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
244 Posts
Do what I did, send yout stock seats to Russell Cycle Products. They will redo them to accommodate you, they absolutely transformed my 950 seats from sadistic torture devices to extremely comfortable luxury seating. They also made my seating position a few inches higher and further back due to my height. By far the best mod to my motorcycle.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I used Mean City Cycles for 2 of my seats to be recovered for my my Honda VTX, based on scores of great reviews of the work and customer service from my Honda forum. You send in the seat and they recover it based on your choices. Saves a TON of $$ over buying new.

Mean City Cycles :: Motorcycle seat modifications

Reactions: Commuter950

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 950
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. So, there is really no way of trying something out before you buy it, right? We have to mostly go on recommendations and reviews

·
Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
128 Posts
I used Mean City Cycles for 2 of my seats to be recovered for my my Honda VTX, based on scores of great reviews of the work and customer service from my Honda forum. You send in the seat and they recover it based on your choices. Saves a TON of $$ over buying new.

Mean City Cycles :: Motorcycle seat modifications
I was hoping to go this route but they said they don't do Stratoliner seats. This was two weeks ago. ☹

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was hoping to go this route but they said they don't do Stratoliner seats. This was two weeks ago. ☹
Sorry to learn this, and a bit surprised. One would think covering a seat is covering a seat regardless of what bike it mounts to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. So, there is really no way of trying something out before you buy it, right? We have to mostly go on recommendations and reviews
Only try before you buy that I know of is if you have a Harley and get a demo seat from the dealer. Demo seat is an upgraded, Harley branded seat. I've never seen anything that lets you try an Ultimate, ED, Corbin, Mustang, etc.

I just got a new Ultimate seat for my 950. Definite improvement over stock, but I have only put about 150 miles on it since I installed it, so I don't know that I can 100% recommend it yet, but all signs are pointing to me liking it. For reference, I'm 6', 230#.

·
Super Moderator
4,648 Posts
"Yamaha Pat, where did you get yours done?" Capitol Upholstery in Sacramento.

I made a temporary seat so I could leave the seat with him and ride home.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you keep a wallet in your back pocket? Sitting on a wallet can trigger sciatic issues, it does for me

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 950
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you keep a wallet in your back pocket? Sitting on a wallet can trigger sciatic issues, it does for me
My sciatica pre-dates the bike and seat. Maintaining good posture is important to keep the sciatica away. I need to be able to keep the arch of my back neutral instead of bending forward.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,182 Posts
When I was looking for a more comfortable seat for my 1100, I went to every dealer and checked out their used bikes. I’m lucky living in Houston and have many large dealers. Did have a hard time finding my exact bike with the exact seat I was looking at, but finally did. Gave me a good opportunity to ride around and look at all the goodies they had. Took me a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2012 V-Star 950
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I was looking for a more comfortable seat for my 1100, I went to every dealer and checked out their used bikes. I’m lucky living in Houston and have many large dealers. Did have a hard time finding my exact bike with the exact seat I was looking at, but finally did. Gave me a good opportunity to ride around and look at all the goodies they had. Took me a couple of weeks.
That is a great idea!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got mustang seats for my star 950. Front w/ backrest and passenger with sissy bar. After about 7 years, the memory foam seats done lost their memory. With notorious roads down here in south Louisiana and chronic lower back pain, I also will be looking for seats with a little more cush. Thanks for the suggestions from my forum friends.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do what I did, send yout stock seats to Russell Cycle Products. They will redo them to accommodate you, they absolutely transformed my 950 seats from sadistic torture devices to extremely comfortable luxury seating. They also made my seating position a few inches higher and further back due to my height. By far the best mod to my motorcycle.

Hi Och I am an oldie and just had my 2012 950 t converted to trike because of balance issues so I could continue riding.
What wrap around passenger/driver seat did you install. Also what trunk?
Thanks~YammyV ride safe and enjoy

·
Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
244 Posts
Hi Och I am an oldie and just had my 2012 950 t converted to trike because of balance issues so I could continue riding.
What wrap around passenger/driver seat did you install. Also what trunk?
Thanks~YammyV ride safe and enjoy
Do you mean the material on the seat? This is vinyl for durability, the seats were done by Russell Cycle Products - they call them "daylong saddles". They so much more comfortable than stock seats, it's not even any comparison. They custom tailored these seats to my and my wifes height and weight.

The trunk is a genuine Harley King Tour-Pak.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts