Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a few seats for my 2009 vstar 950. But I'm having some trouble deciding especially since I can't exactly try them out before buying. I'm looking to get a touring solo seat. Has anyone gotten aftermarket seats or mult. Ones that they compared? I've been looking at the mustang but I see some people really like Corbin also.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
You're going to get lots of different answers about aftermarket seats. I have the Mustang wide touring seat and really like it, however there are many that like the Corbin, or the Ultimate, or the............you get the idea. If you do go with the Mustang, I'd suggest getting the backrest. It offers much needed support for longer trips. It's a little pricey, but well worth the extra $$. ANY seat is going to be better than the OEM that came with the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ultimate seats I'm not a fan of mainly cuz of looks. And part of the reason I'm wanting an aftermarket seat is because my stock seat is cracked... Was like that when I got it and after riding on it for a season its obviously gotten worse

Corbin offers to customize seat to the rider. Even if I buy stock and send back they will adjust at no charge unless cover has to be changed. BUT they don't offer a solo touring seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also is there a huge difference between leather and vinyl seats?

·
Super Moderator
6,739 Posts
I bought my 09' 950t with the mustang seat already on it. I sat on the factory seat on a different bike and wasn't impressed. I like the mustang seat, but never sat on a corbin. Check out some local dealers in case they have one with a mustang or corbin seat. That's what I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jessiegyrl I sent you a PM about the Mustang Seats I have for sale.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Leather is a great seat material.....with a couple caveats.

1.) It's expensive
2.) It requires regular maintenance and upkeep
3.) It doesn't handle wet weather as well as vinyl and can take days to dry out of it gets soaked, and it doesn't handle constant exposure direct sun as well.

If you prep for those things, you are golden. It is comfortable.

The down side to vinyl, is that it doesn't break in as mentioned above. However, with that said, it also doesn't break down, it sheds water, is UV protected so the sun doesn't bother it as much and it's about a quarter the cost of leather. Seal the seams and you have a waterproof seat.

I've had both......and in my less than professional opinion, even though my hands can tell the difference between leather and vinyl, my ass can't tell much of a difference when I'm sitting on the seat. Here in Arizona, the sun and dryness just destroys leather, so it's really not an option on a bike that sees constant use or can sit in the desert sun for a couple hours here and there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leather is a great seat material.....with a couple caveats.

1.) It's expensive
2.) It requires regular maintenance and upkeep
3.) It doesn't handle wet weather as well as vinyl and can take days to dry out of it gets soaked, and it doesn't handle constant exposure direct sun as well.

If you prep for those things, you are golden. It is comfortable.

The down side to vinyl, is that it doesn't break in as mentioned above. However, with that said, it also doesn't break down, it sheds water, is UV protected so the sun doesn't bother it as much and it's about a quarter the cost of leather. Seal the seams and you have a waterproof seat.

I've had both......and in my less than professional opinion, even though my hands can tell the difference between leather and vinyl, my ass can't tell much of a difference when I'm sitting on the seat. Here in Arizona, the sun and dryness just destroys leather, so it's really not an option on a bike that sees constant use or can sit in the desert sun for a couple hours here and there.

Lol seeing as I'm in Ohio and mine is garage kept I think the leather would be better for me so I'm leaning towards the corbin . I don't really think being pushed forward would be comfortable and I know mustang seat does that. I'm crowded as is on the 950 ( curse of long legs) lol

·
Registered
600 Posts
I doubt that any of us guys will agree with you that long legs on a girl is a curse. ?. That aside I have had both Mustang and Ultimate seats and both raised the seating position and pushed me forward. I have Danny Grays now and like them a lot. Great style but not as comfortable as the other 2 mentioned. I am looking at the Corbin's for a new solo seat but wow the cost is a bit up there. Good luck with your search. Maybe Google when Mustang or Ultimate are at at show near you as they usually have test models there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha yeah I think I'm getting the Corbin solo with the back... Now deciding on color now maybe the Indian tan or regular tan.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Haha yeah I think I'm getting the Corbin solo with the back... Now deciding on color now maybe the Indian tan or regular tan.

Sweet! I have an airbrush project to pay for right now but let me know how you like yours and I might just be persuaded to try one!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the darker one
I will try getting the Indian tan which is the darker one but I've heard a lot of ppl end up sending it back since it comes out more orange than the picture shows

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
if it is for recovering an older seat.....I just use a local business, and most any auto upholstery shop can do a fine job. Most are surprisingly inexpensive comparatively.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
One more thought to add - be sure to read reviews on whether seats raise or lower you from the original seat position or push you back or forward. A seat that raises me even an inch is going to make my bike uncomfortably tall for me. If you have good inseam length this may not be an issue for you but if it is...read, read, read. Along with try to find someone locally who has the seat on a similar bike.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts