Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here from the Bay Area who knows an audiologist? I'm trying to find a cheaper deal on custom fitted earplugs. I've tried earplugs from FortNine's video and they all didn't work because of my weird angled and narrow ear canals. Hope you guys can help me even if the location's too specific. I already talked to a couple of audiologists and they're pretty expensive($500-$800 range).

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tractor Supply, one bucket of about a hundred of those little soft, red and yellow, foam plugs is about $15. Twist and roll in your thumb and forefinger to make it skinny and pointy...my right ear canal goes backwards! They fit fine - I keep a bunch in my coat, on my bike, in all of my gun cases...
Audiologist are not covered by my insurance...I guess they're not "real" doctors according to HEALTH NEW ENGLAND...

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
something that came up a few years ago, which I did not know

when you put foam earplugs in your ear, you have to hold them in place for about a minute with your finger, while it expands to match the shape of your ear

if you dont, it pushes itself out while it expands, and does not seal completely

when they are in right you really notice, its like you have your fingers in your ears

Ive been using them for years and never knew about holding them for 1 minute - big improvement

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Do you guys wear earplugs?

I really need a pair because I was recently diagnosed with mild tinnitus and mild hyperacusis(noise sensitivity). Was not a fan of off-the-shelf earplugs because I have narrow ear canals that makes wearing a pair painful and uncomfortable. Any recommendation or suggestion? Should I buy custom molded ones?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emily I purchased Hock ear plugs a few years ago but still use them. They are custom made and I was satisfied with cost, etc. You can find the site on the internet.
Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
Thanks YammyV, I thought my post got deleted because I can't find it earlier. Will check them out. I hope they work out for me.

Ride safely.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Do you guys wear earplugs? ..
When I first started riding 6 years ago I wore earplugs a few times on my Vstar 650 - mostly while taking longer road trips.

Noise causes fatigue and wears you out. A good set of foam plugs really cuts down the wind noise. My bike is factory-stock, so the exhaust is not loud.

I noticed at 60mph with ear plugs I can just barely hear the horn on my own motorcycle. I beeped it at some birds in the road ahead, at first I thought it was not working.

That concerns me, that my hearing is reduced by ear plugs so much that I can barely hear a horn 4 feet from my helmet. Being able to hear other vehicles around you is necessary.

Like most things on a motorcycle its a trade-off. Long rides at 80mph with (or without?) a windshield I would wear them. Riding around town at 45mph: no. Two lane country roads at 60mph: no.

·
Registered
143 Posts
something that came up a few years ago, which I did not know...
Also, the solid colors, the green and the blaze orange are much firmer than the the two color, soft foam. I buy the yellow and red at T.S. The firmer plugs hurt my ears, and it's like pulling a cork to get them out; that also lends to fatigue The softer plugs expand a bit more slowly, seem to provide the same level of protection, but I forget that they are in my ear. As you suggest, holding them in place for just a bit is key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just recently started riding again after decades and the wind noise is more than distracting. I ran across this thread and see i am not alone. I always wore a 3/4 helmet and, never even thought about wind noise. Now I usually wear a 1/2 shell in the summer because it's the coolest.This morning on my ride I used some of the orange foam plugs and they worked really well. Guess i will keep some on hand from now on. Only thing is I can barely hear my bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have sensitive ear canals, and even the soft foam ear plugs would sometimes cause me to have ear infections. As a shooting enthusiast, this was a problem for me. Sometimes ear phones are not want you want at the range. I cringe when I have to be in an industrial plant where they insist you wear foam plugs and I am careful to never insert the same pair twice.

Many years ago at a gun show, there was a booth making custom silicone ear plugs while you waited. All they did was stuff some cotton deep into your ear canal, and fill your outer canal and some of your inner ear lobe with a silicone mixture. It setup pretty fast, then they pulled them out and did a little softening of the edges with a dremel. They did them up real nice with a lanyard, color coded for L and R ears and a little storage case. Cost me $60 IIRC. I absolutely love these things, and I clean them with alcohol before and after every use, and no ear infections since.

A quick search found this stuff on Amazon. I have not used this product. But if my 20 year old set ever need replacement, I'll try doing it myself. Silicone does age harden, and also as we get older our ears change shape. I think you'll need someone to do the molding for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-0-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002KHNB8Y/ref=asc_df_B002KHNB8Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813749887&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10503886677929386601&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031052&hvtargid=pla-434804472143&psc=1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tractor Supply, one bucket of about a hundred of those little soft, red and yellow, foam plugs is about $15. Twist and roll in your thumb and forefinger to make it skinny and pointy...my right ear canal goes backwards! They fit fine - I keep a bunch in my coat, on my bike, in all of my gun cases...
Audiologist are not covered by my insurance...I guess they're not "real" doctors according to HEALTH NEW ENGLAND...
Yeah, I know. My friends and I are also talking about that since most of the time audiologists cannot pinpoint anything or even prescribe meds that work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Watched this brand's
. The earplugs they have in their website all looks good but they are pretty expensive. I think I'd be down to purchase something like this but a bit cheaper. Maybe custom filtered earplugs are what I need after all..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will second bpounds on the silcone ear plugs. I was using the 3M orange plugs while riding. Worked great, but did give a feeling that it blocked too much sound, which sounds like an odd complaint. The big push for me to want to go to a the silicone custom ones was putting them in/taking them out quickly. I enjoy poker runs, but with trying to get off the bike and back on before a large crowd gets moving or so your buddy isn't tapping their foot waiting on you, it was a challenge to get the squishy plugs in properly and gloves on and get going again. I looked around online for a few option, but settled on the local guy at the gun show. It was about $100 for the filtered ones and about 15 minutes of sitting still, with maybe 30 minutes of waiting to pick them up. They don't block as much sound, but definitely keep it a comfortable sound level. I can have phone conversations through bluetooth easily (under 55 mph at least). Big plus is bit of a twist and they are seated in and I can get going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts