Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a link to decode the VIN of my Roadliner and got almost nothing (just the year, make, model and engine size).

I'd like to find the full decoder for the VIN, such that I could possibly learn the month of its production, etc.

Has anyone come across such a trove?

It shouldn't be that hard. Here's an example for the Honda Valkyrie:
http://www.rattlebars.com/rp/rpage02.html

We're squared away like that, right???

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comeback, Ten Twelve.

I found stuff like that (googling yamaha vin decoder/ing). I'm looking to go a little deeper. I'd like to find something that explains what every single letter/digit stands for.

In particular, I'd like to find out which month of 2007 my bike was built.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TenTwelve,

Thanks.

I just found out my bike was made on August '06 (8/06). Given that I was hoping that it was made in late '07 to perchance avoid this "3rd gear failing" issue, I was a little bummed.

My bike is not making any noises in any gear at this point. But I'd sure rather not have even any RUMORS of a problem.

I read that the issue affects 06 and early 07 models. I've also only seen a few people complaining of the issue, with the same people complaining using the exact same words in more than one forum (including this forum).

I also read that the issue stems from the use of sintered rather than cast gears. So my next quest will be to learn when Yamaha ceased using sintered gears in the Roadliners.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm sure that will prove to be bit challenging. Good luck. I think I'm good on the 3rd gear issue but, I think my lifters are dying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want any issues or "deaths" on my bike. Particuarly given that I just bought the thing.

Other than that I read it's "out there," I have no reason to think there are any problems with this motorcycle re: the gears or anything else.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Third Gear issue, I know someone had a list going. But keeping the YES in place keeps that expense out of your pocket lower. But when its gone just be sure to do solid shifts, not power shifting into third.
TenTwelve, lifters dying, semi-syn oil (basically yamalube) staying in the heavier 20/50's. I know some on forums like lucas added to there oil, I haven't needed it or use it as my regular day... but I love using Marvel Mystery Oil few ounces every few tanks of gas, and as my winter gas stabilizer... keeps gas good and carbon off valves. Good Luck with the valves.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well, I've only done the first (600 mile) oil change and I used Yamalube 20/50. Never hear of Mystery oil.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not to jack, but the lifters... lil important...
yamalube seems to be best(dealer cure) for those with lifter issue..(collapsing) Marvel Mystery Oil, been around forever... use to run it at those engine shows, small engine cut in half running no oil... just marvel oil soaked on it before so they say... i use it in gas to keep carbon clean from motor and in gas as stabilizer instead of stabil.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bowhunter,

Rest assured, this bike will never see a powershift as long as I'm her daddy. I'll never intentionally skip gears; heck, I'll rarely even go above 3k rpm before shifting into the next gear.

Right now the bike is still under a year of warranty. I don't know if I'll be able to extend the warranty after that or not. If I have the option, I'll take it.

So far I have absolutely NO reason to think I've got a problem other than reading about other people's problems. But I don't like hearing about "other people's problems" when they've got the same model/year bike I have.

The previous owner of my bike (a former career diesal mechanic) told me that his own experience and investigation led him to conclude that synthetic was great for gears, but not so great for engines. Prior to his explanation, I had pretty much just figured on using synthetic.

I've used the 50/50 synthetic/conventional blend and have thought about using that. Like to hear more about it.

Eight or nine quarts of oil a year won't break me. I'll use the stuff that works the best. I just need to know what that stuff IS.

·
Registered
254 Posts
michaeld, you should be good... I ride hard to a point but take care of her before it ends up breaking on me. I am pretty use to the little sewing machine noise this type of motor makes. And knowing some of the simple tricks/maintenance to keep all running nice. Had a 06' RoadStar B4 this one. Over 43,000... got totaled, and still started up when police checked to see if lights were on/working, broken lens and motor started and the lights came on. I wasn't there but seen pics of it... what a mess.
I am not sure but I think b4 it ends you can extend the YES... just have to check with them, I think you can check online for extended YES plan. ? number of years you can go on it. I had the 3 yr YES on the RoadStar never used it for anything, have til 2013 on this one. It hasn't been to dealer for anything as of yet.
I like synthetic, I have had good results and lots of miles on vehicles that are on it. But changing oil on regular cycle keeps all in good shape. I mostly like syn because it gives me piece of mind if on trip or getting on trips that I don't have to change right away(early). And it poors out as clean as it went in most of the time. If I add up the 4 vehicles I have right now, 380,000 miles - 175,000 on old honda - 103,000 on my dodge ram - 98,000 on my Mustang - the rest on this bike. All get the 3,000 oil change bike on the 4,000...
Ride Safe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bowhunter,

I've got six months (less a week or so) to make up my mind about the oil. I'm probably not going to get to 4,000 miles in 6 months. So I'm usually figuring twice a year rather than how many miles.

At this point, I would probably opt for a syn/conv blend.

I'd be quite willing to go with full synthetic if I could find a good impartial review of how synthetic compares with conventional oil (has Consumer Reports done such a review?).

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I'd like to find the full decoder for the VIN
Send Fifty cents and 6 boxtops from any Kellogg's cereal to:

Special promotions Department
Battle Creek, MI.

ATTN: Secret Decoder Ring offer

(Allow 6 weeks for processing and delivery. Void where prohibited)

;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang it, Springer!

All my cereals are General Mills.

But I really want that secret decoder ring, so I guess Frosted Flakes are GRRRREEAAT, right?

You're sure the Secret Decoder Ring will work on a Yamaha VIN, right? I'd really hate to find out (after scarfing down 6 boxes of Frosted Flakes) that it only worked with Harley and Victory bikes.

;) back atcha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts