Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a used 2003 V Star 1100 Custom from the original owner. Now the bike has been sitting for 1.5 years due to the owner trying to remove the exhaust and breaking two bolts that held the exhaust. He has all the parts and the new bolts as well. Bike has 15K miles as well. All the fenders, and tank are in great shape, bike has a clear title. It just needs to be put back together and rode again.

The owner (my cousin) wants $500 for the bike. Should I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Looking to buy a used 2003 V Star 1100 Custom from the original owner. Now the bike has been sitting for 1.5 years due to the owner trying to remove the exhaust and breaking two bolts that held the exhaust. He has all the parts and the new bolts as well. Bike has 15K miles as well. All the fenders, and tank are in great shape, bike has a clear title. It just needs to be put back together and rode again.

The owner (my cousin) wants $500 for the bike. Should I pull the trigger?
which bolts are broken, if it the ones that are in the aluminum heads "studs" i would knock $1,000 dollars off the value of it because you may have to pull the engine to drill em out. it's gonna be difficult to hear any unusual engine noises with the exhaust like that. if he can't get it running so you can hear it ,stay away from it or you may buy a parts bike,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bolts attach the exhaust on the front head. I believe they are called 'exhaust studs'
He has a new set of the bolts, I just need to get them broken bolts off and replace them.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The bolts attach the exhaust on the front head. I believe they are called 'exhaust studs'
He has a new set of the bolts, I just need to get them broken bolts off and replace them.
the front ones can be drilled out on the bike. get the studs flat then center punch em and start the drilling with a very small bit work your way up to the tap drill size. i believe the studs are 8mmX 1.25 and the tap drill is 17/64 or if you find 6.9 mm bit. if you try an easy out and break it you'll be in a world of hurt. at 500 dollars you can't loose money the parts alone are worth 3-4 times what you'll be paying for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Heres an update, Got the bike running after draining all the old gas, Changing the air and fuel filter, cleaning the carbs and replacing the oil.
The electrical works all over the bike.

Now for the minor issues, the forks have oxidation on them, and the broken exhaust bolts

I have tried heating up the bolts and using a bolt extractor and no luck. Here is a pic of the bolts as they sit, stuck.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Try hitting them with something really cold. Have a CO2 fire extinguisher? Freezing may break the corrosion enough to allow them to turn. If you can get a pair of vice grips on them, work them back and forth to work out the kucka, till you can screw them out. If that doesn't work, then yer gonna have to drill them out enough for an easy-out. And if that doesn't work, then you'll have to drill them out and re-tap the holes. Sounds more complicated than it really is, but with patience you can do it. Good luck and keep us updated on yer progress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts