Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i'm new to the forums and just sold my first bike this past week it was a Kymco Venox 250. I have been looking at new bikes and am thinking about buying a VSTAR 650cc. I have a few questions first.

I want to enjoy riding on the highway and in the mtns of North Carolina. I'm 6'1 200lbs. Would this be a issue?

I'm looking to spend between 2,500-4,000 on a new bike and most of the Vstar 1100 are not in that price range. Should I wait and get a 1100 or would I be happy on a 650 for years?

any advice would be great.

Thanks,
slim

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Buy what you can afford

Slim

You know what you can afford. If a 650 V Star is it I'm sure you will have lots of fun. But, you might wonder how many of those folks traded the 650 in on a bigger bike.

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Welcome, yes Sugar Bear does agree with the guys who have posted. It all depends on how you ride and what you want in a bike, do you ride alone, do you ride backroads, ect? It could very well serve you well, or not be nearly enough, it all depends on you,and what you want. Whatever, have fun and ride safe:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Last month I moved up from my Suzuki GZ250 to a V-Star 650. I'm 5' 8" and 235 lbs and it's got no problem moving me around. I regularly ride with my neighbor who has a V-Star 1100 and it's no problem keeping up with him. It's all going to depend on what you want from your ride. I like to use it to run around town and to take weekend cruises. Bigger bikes aren't always town friendly. The 650 will run 65 all day long without a whimper so highway riding is no problem. I haven't had it on the interstate yet but don't anticipate any problems.

Good luck in whatever you decide and ride safe.

:)

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
maybe you should open yourself up to looking at used bikes as well. for your size and wanting to ride through the mountains, you may want something bigger than a 650 and looking at used rides will let you do that. a bigger bike will give you more power for those mountains and some people like to go faster than 65.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I looked at the 650 vs. the 950 vs. The difference was about $1,500.00. I went with the 950 just for the extra weight. Seems like the heavier the bike, the more stable a ride with more weight. Especially on the highway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Majesty 400 before I got my 950T. I started to look at the 650, but for the price difference and the way I fit on the 950 I decided on that bike. I don't regret spending the extra money for the bigger bike. The 950 can run at 70 plus all day and feels like a smaller bike. Looking into used is not a bad idea. Most people take great care of their bikes and I have seen some really mint used bikes for sale. You will not be sorry for buying a V-Star!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last month I moved up from my Suzuki GZ250 to a V-Star 650. I'm 5' 8" and 235 lbs and it's got no problem moving me around. I regularly ride with my neighbor who has a V-Star 1100 and it's no problem keeping up with him. It's all going to depend on what you want from your ride. I like to use it to run around town and to take weekend cruises.

how does it do up hills?

yea i'm looking around on craigslist right now plenty of VSTAR 650 but not many 1100 and if there is they mostly have 15k plus miles which is kinda high in my opinion.

I want to be able to ride around with my neighbor that has a valkyrie. Drive in the country around town in the mtns all over really.

The hardest thing for me is I can't compare any power since i'm use to a 250 and I know going up hills on that it struggled. The power of that bike is all I know really.

I found this deal here which i think is pretty good

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1996957891.html it has 6k miles.

I might just wait a month and see if more bikes come on the market since it's getting winter now.

slim

·
Registered
778 Posts
HI;

Wow it's been almost a year now since I traded up from a 650 to the 950. At 5'10" and 240 lbs the 650 struggled through the curves here in North GA, especially if you like to scrape pegs. Stepping up to the 950 was a world of difference and right now there are dealers where you can get a NEW 09 model that didn't sell for right at $5000.00 if you can go that high. I was looking at the 09 950T that didn't sell at a local shop for $5500 with the Yamaha saddlebags, windscreen, motor guards, sissy bar, etc... loaded in other words. The first couple of weeks just the feel of the bike was so different I would be cruising along thinking I was going 55 and look down and be doing 70!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1100 and for me personally i think it is too small / underpowered!! :) Looking to upgrade to a roadliner / stratoliner !!

·
Registered
239 Posts
how does it do up hills?

yea i'm looking around on craigslist right now plenty of VSTAR 650 but not many 1100 and if there is they mostly have 15k plus miles which is kinda high in my opinion.

I want to be able to ride around with my neighbor that has a valkyrie. Drive in the country around town in the mtns all over really.

The hardest thing for me is I can't compare any power since i'm use to a 250 and I know going up hills on that it struggled. The power of that bike is all I know really.

I found this deal here which i think is pretty good

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1996957891.html it has 6k miles.

I might just wait a month and see if more bikes come on the market since it's getting winter now.

slim
I can't speak for the mountains at this point as I live at the coast just north of Myrtle Beach. I do plan on taking a trip to the mountains but that won't be until the Spring. It's mostly flatlands here at sea level. lol I'll let you know as soon as I Know.

:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
15k miles is nothing to worry about. Modern motorcycles are capable of tons and tons of miles.

I always find these threads sort of funny because they tend to take on an identical flavor. 650 owners, mostly noobs but a few seasoned riders as well, maintain that the 650 has plently of power and that they don't feel the need for more. 1100 owners tend to say that it's the smallest bike they would care to own. 950 owners seem to just be happy to be here and the 1300 owners think they own some sort of snarling powerful beast (lol).
Truth is that all of these bikes are not very powerfull in the greater realm of things. They are all a bit slugish, not very quick handling, fairly easy to ride and generally probably OK all the way around for someone who took and passed MSF.
They are all good bikes and are easy to ride and easy to live with. Being an 1100 owner I'm in the I can't imagine wanting less power camp but that's just my take on things. If I ever buy another cruiser it will certainly be more potent than the 1100. The Triumph Thunderbird is sort of at the top of my list.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have ridden bikes on short trips and around town and my 650 fits me fine for that purpose.
A Goldwing is not an around town bike so I sold the one I briefly owned. I don't ride cross country interstate so it was a waste around town...plus a big, heavy machine! I'm 5'8".....175lbs.

I rode my son's 92 Harley Softail a while back....powerful but top heavy and not as easy to maneuver as my 650.

Same thing with a Honda VTX 1300....too much weight for me around town and a Yamaha Venture? No way!

The only other bike I have ridden and liked was the Suzuki C50 my oldest son had before he bought that Harley. It had plenty of power for me and was easy to handle in town traffic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts