Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new and looking to buy my first motorcycle when I return to the states from overseas. It will be a gift to myself and was thinking about the Vstar either 650 or 950... I want to customize it and make it look meaner ... Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome Twistid! I own a 950 and couldn't be happier with it. I think you might enjoy the extra power of the 950 over the 650. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
950 vs 650

Twistid; Since this is your first motorcycle, I would recommend the 650. I owned one for two or three years before stepping up to my current bike (1100 classic). It's great, looks great (you won't be embarrassed when you park it around other bikes) and runs great. Never had a problem with it.

Now, having said that, I 'assumed' that this is your first bike and 'assumed' that you are possibly in the service. I would strongly suggest (this from someone who has owned motorcycle for possibly longer than you have been living) the smaller bike and at least two years of riding before spending money on a bigger bike or making it look 'meaner' :) Get back to the states and let the adrenalin settle before going for big and mean.

When you get a motorcycle, the question isn't "what if I wreck" but rather "when will I wreck" and the answer is possibly in the first couple of years.

So, just some sage advice from someone who's been there and done that. Wrecked my little Honda 450 back in '82 doing about 85mph on the highway. Learned my lesson :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Picked up my first ride last fall - 650 classic - Love it.
Added Ziv's forward extensions and it's very comfy (6'-1" 200lbs).
My riding is for pleasure. 40-50 mph Back-road cruising mostly.
Someday I'll probably get a R* or Strat if get into long distance highway, but will probably always keep the 650 for great fun around town!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Opinions

Twisted,

Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one. some thoughts from an amateur.

The 950 is a newer design. A little bigger with very noticeable more power. Smoother, lower balance, a little heaver. But you will not notice the weight because of the better balance. My buddy went from a 650 to a 950 and really liked the new bike's ride and power. Feels the 950 is actually easer to ride and on an occasional freeway is far better.

That said, the 650 is a really nice looking bike. Great for cruizing. Really like that traditional look. Is a proven bike that has been out for a long time. There is far more custome equipment available for it. Have seen some 650's that just were outstanding. If customizing is what you have in mind would be a good choice.

So, its what you want. Me I went for an 1100, then traded up to a Liner.

I read sometime back you need to post three times here before it will let you go on to the rest of the forum. Spam protection.

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get what is right for you

My first bike was a 1980 XS 1100 still have a few parts from it. But I am very tall 6'6 so I looked kinda funny on it, Got an 1100 and was real happy but trying to take rides and another passenger bogged it down some. I was looking at all the names of bikes and road the Stratoliner and loved it and it didn't have to have a certain name on it. Get a bike that you like to ride enough power for what your going to do with it and whatever fixups you want.

On the strat its fun to take the bags and backrest and windshield off for riding around town and then bag it again for the next hour for the wife and I.

Rocknroll

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Welcome to our group. We're especially proud of our safety record, with many recent graduates of MSF courses:

By the way, are you good at fixing things?:eek:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to our group. We're especially proud of our safety record, with many recent graduates of MSF courses:

By the way, are you good at fixing things?:eek:
Welcome aboard twistid,great side with a ton of great info. I just wish I knew how Springer got a picture of me from my failed road test this weekend. He must have been the guy I saw hiding in the bushes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts