Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
if you have a vacuum leak it will run lean all the time - do the propane / WD40 spray test around the intake boots, and make sure your vacuum gauge ports are sealed

if the compression is low (tight valve) you will fiddle with the carbs forever and it will never run right - when was the last time the valves were adjusted?

if your fuel pump is failing the bike will run intermittently and be hard to start - check your fuel pump output flow

Its also possible you are not using the choke right. To start the bike:

turn the key on and if you hear the fuel pump running wait till its stops (its filling the float bowls if you can hear it Bp Bp bpbpbpbpbpb b p b ppp...)

turn the fuel petcock on and pull the choke all the way out

do not touch the throttle, push the starter button

as soon as if fires push the choke in half way (till the engine idles normally) if you leave it all the way out the engine will quit in a few seconds

ride the bike for the first 1/2 mile with the choke half way out, then push it in all the way.

If you dont follow all of these steps, the bike WILL be difficult to start

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, got the new intake boots on and no difference, the old boots did have cracks in them but they were just surface cracks i.e. no vacuum leaks. So I got my self a beer and lit a cigarette then sat and just looked at the bike going thru everything I had done to it in my mind. I didn't start having any issues until I put on those cobra slip-on's. More research...come to find out the new pipes don't provide any back pressure at all, even though they are baffled they are nothing more than straight thru 'drag pipes'. So with no back pressure the mix is rich, so when you pull the choke to start it, it won't start, it floods. So I don't use the choke, once it does start and warms up ( I keep the throttle cracked a little til it smooths out) it runs fine all day long. More research...I found a fix, DK customs has Thunder Torque Inserts which should give it the back pressure it needs, not only that but it should lean out the mix like the factory exhaust did which will bring up the power at low and mid range. When I get 'em installed I'll let ya'll know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you have a vacuum leak it will run lean all the time - do the propane / WD40 spray test around the intake boots, and make sure your vacuum gauge ports are sealed

if the compression is low (tight valve) you will fiddle with the carbs forever and it will never run right - when was the last time the valves were adjusted?

if your fuel pump is failing the bike will run intermittently and be hard to start - check your fuel pump output flow

Its also possible you are not using the choke right. To start the bike:

turn the key on and if you hear the fuel pump running wait till its stops (its filling the float bowls if you can hear it Bp Bp bpbpbpbpbpb b p b ppp...)

do not touch the throttle, push the starter button

as soon as if fires push the choke in half way (till the engine idles normally) if you leave it all the way out the engine will quit in a few seconds

ride the bike for the first 1/2 mile with the choke half way out, then push it in all the way.

If you dont follow all of these steps, the bike WILL be difficult to start
Hello KCW, Yes sir I warmed it up and used quick shots of starting fluid around the intake, no difference. the valves were adj. at 5000 mi. I'll try your method to start it and let ya know, thank you sir!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I got those thunder torque inserts in.. after I removed the baffles and got 'em installed they did give the bike more power due to increased internal scavenging and more back pressure but I felt they were too small, 1 5/8" in a 2 7/8" pipe. So I went to my local Ace hardware and got enough bolts and washers to make a 2" set, these gave the bike even more power across the full rpm range. Also gave it a more 'throaty' sound (just flat obnoxious) with a deeper tone. I also did a cold start as KCW had suggested, with the choke pulled all the way out it still didn't start so I pushed it all the way back in and pulled it out to the 2nd click and it started right up and went to a higher idle as before with the stock pipes. So my next thing to do is to synchronize the carbs. I'll let ya'll know.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
just noticed I posted:

obviously you have to turn the petcock on before you turn the key on to run the fuel pump

I can no longer edit my original post to get the sequence right

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally found out what was wrong, the pilot jets were clogged up again. I pulled them out again and no daylight thru them, so I sprayed 'em out re-installed them and she fired right up with the choke pulled out all the way. I let it run for a few seconds (at high idle btw) then pushed the choke in to the halfway point and let her run for a few more seconds (about 30 sec) then pushed the choke in all the way. She idles great and runs even better. With all of this ethanol gasoline it'd be best to run some kind of fuel system cleaner in the tank and /or a fuel stabilizer every once in a while or better yet spend a few extra cents and buy non-ethanol fuel especially if your bike is gonna sit for awhile like in winter.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
nice work on getting it running

if you ride your bike all the time the e10 fuel is not a problem

the issues come up if you ride the bike twice a month and top off the tank.

If you fill the bike in May and put two gallons in it in June, half the gas in the tank is a month old

if you put 2 gallons in it in july, 1 gallon of gas is still two months old

if you go away in august and then take it out again in september, a gallon of gas in your tank has turned into jello...

People who only ride intermittently, and never know when they will ride again, would do well to keep some Seafoam in the tank all the time

thats what I do with the 2 gallon can of gas for my lawn mower and snow blower - its always 1 ounce of seafoam per gallon of gas, because it can sit half empty in the garage for months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spring is here in Canada (almost).... The bike comes out of storage in the next couple of weeks, and I think either the battle begins again (with the carb), or the smarter move: I will see if any of the mechanics around are free and reasonably priced, and have someone else deal with it this year...

So that's my update for now!
Any more updates?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.