Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost my fob in Jan and never knew there was a key code I would need if I lost it. Working with the dealership now to order a new fob and ECU ($1.4K) plus install cost. I was hoping there is an easier and cheaper way, but it doesn’t appear that way. Any last ditch ideas? I know I’m not the only one that’s experienced this issue.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
621 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fix other than your dealership's solution. A second FOB will cost another couple hundred bucks, but it would be cheap insurance to eliminate any chance of this happening again. Plus, a second FOB is nice security just in case something fails in FOB #1 (or the battery dies at an inconvenient time). I have two and rotate their use every month when at home and on multi day trips the wife carries one and I carry the other, ":just in case". I also have a picture of the codes in my phone.

Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fix other than your dealership's solution. A second FOB will cost another couple hundred bucks, but it would be cheap insurance to eliminate any chance of this happening again. Plus, a second FOB is nice security just in case something fails in FOB #1 (or the battery dies at an inconvenient time). I have two and rotate their use every month when at home and on multi day trips the wife carries one and I carry the other, ":just in case". I also have a picture of the codes in my phone.

Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.
Well the parts are ordered, but keep getting delayed. Got to love our current supply chain issues. Thanks for the response. There definitely will be 2 fobs this time. I just wish they would have told be that there was a key code I needed to keep in a safe place when I bought the bike from the dealership.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I dealer should have the code or maybe Yamaha, it’s got to be registered with the bike at manufacturing, I would think. I wonder if you do come up with the code the dealer can then program the key from the emergency start.
Anyway I read on this forum that some are getting the fob cheaper online then the dealer so I am thinking I might start looking or maybe just continue to take my chances…..
Also You should have received 2 keys as well.
I think the code is in your paperwork or on the spare key with a metal tag.
I would be using the emergency start so I hope you could have found your code.

post edit.
sorry I just looked at my spare key and the metal tag is not the correct code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear this. I dealer should have the code or maybe Yamaha, it’s got to be registered with the bike at manufacturing, I would think. I wonder if you do come up with the code the dealer can then program the key from the emergency start.
Anyway I read on this forum that some are getting the fob cheaper online then the dealer so I am thinking I might start looking or maybe just continue to take my chances…..
Also You should have received 2 keys as well.
I think the code is in your paperwork or on the spare key with a metal tag.
I would be using the emergency start so I hope you could have found your code.

post edit.
sorry I just looked at my spare key and the metal tag is not the correct code.
The only option now is to buy the new fob and ECU. Yamaha and the dealership doesn't keep records of the codes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lost my fob in Jan and never knew there was a key code I would need if I lost it. Working with the dealership now to order a new fob and ECU ($1.4K) plus install cost. I was hoping there is an easier and cheaper way, but it doesn’t appear that way. Any last ditch ideas? I know I’m not the only one that’s experienced this issue.
One of the first things I ordered when I bought my Eluder was a 2nd fob, unfortunately you found out why it's necessary. ECU replacement is the only option without the code.

·
Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
109 Posts
One of the first things I ordered when I bought my Eluder was a 2nd fob, unfortunately you found out why it's necessary. ECU replacement is the only option without the code.
My Toyota Corolla car is 30 years old and my motorcycle is 16 years old so just keys and no ''FOBS''. Some things do not get better just because the vehicle is a later model. My Toyota will last me for another 10 years as I am very careful with it and the climate where I live means that vehicles last a very long time. In 10 years I will be 80 years old and hope to be still driving and riding around with my Toyota and my Yamaha.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Toyota Corolla car is 30 years old and my motorcycle is 16 years old so just keys and no ''FOBS''. Some things do not get better just because the vehicle is a later model. My Toyota will last me for another 10 years as I am very careful with it and the climate where I live means that vehicles last a very long time. In 10 years I will be 80 years old and hope to be still driving and riding around with my Toyota and my Yamaha.
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
Nothing at all friend. Just an old guy telling you how good it was to have lived before fu**ing stupid fobs, computers and all the bullshit that goes with modern vehicles. I have come from a time when there were real motorcycles and vehicles that were simple and easy to understand. You had a key that turned the ignition on and a duplicate key could be cut at a Walmart store for 2 dollars. Just think how easy that was and how hard and expensive it has all become now. I could go on but what is the use of that.

·
Registered
2012 xvs650a classic
136 Posts
Nothing at all friend. Just an old guy telling you how good it was to have lived before fu**ing stupid fobs, computers and all the bullshit that goes with modern vehicles. I have come from a time when there were real motorcycles and vehicles that were simple and easy to understand. You had a key that turned the ignition on and a duplicate key could be cut at a Walmart store for 2 dollars. Just think how easy that was and how hard and expensive it has all become now. I could go on but what is the use of that.
i hear ya, my daily is a 76 model holden and before that was a 71 ford and my next daily, if i ever get it finished , will be a 68 holden, my newest bike before this late model yamaha was a 74 yamaha ... i am enjoying the modern bike but dreading the day i gotta work on it.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
i hear ya, my daily is a 76 model holden and before that was a 71 ford and my next daily, if i ever get it finished , will be a 68 holden, my newest bike before this late model yamaha was a 74 yamaha ... i am enjoying the modern bike but dreading the day i gotta work on it.
Hi and thank you for your message. You can understand where I am coming from. I am holding on to my 30 year old Toyota for as long as I can. My V Star is 16 years old now and I have never had to do anything to it other than change the oil and the tyres. I have had no problems. I treat this motorcycle very carefully and it will give me many years of riding.
Does your V Star have a FOB or a KEY. My 2006 only has a key. It had key recognition but I changed that and now any key that I get cut at the locksmith's will fit. I like to do all my mechanics and vehicle servicing myself and I can see that you do also. It is so easy with an older vehicle. The things that I really love about my V Star 650 is that it is fully air cooled so no water or coolants to worry about. It has carburettors that I can fix myself. No fuel injection. It has adjustable tappets so no valve shims to worry about. It has shaft drive so no chains. The whole motorcycle is very light and at 70 I can still handle it ok. I hope that everything goes well for you and your motorcycle into the future.

This is a good tip and it works to check the oil on a V Star 650. I use an old bike mirror taped to the end if a stick.
You just sit on the bike level it up with your feet and use the mirror to check the oil level.

·
Registered
2012 xvs650a classic
136 Posts
Hi and thank you for your message. You can understand where I am coming from. I am holding on to my 30 year old Toyota for as long as I can. My V Star is 16 years old now and I have never had to do anything to it other than change the oil and the tyres. I have had no problems. I treat this motorcycle very carefully and it will give me many years of riding.
Does your V Star have a FOB or a KEY. My 2006 only has a key. It had key recognition but I changed that and now any key that I get cut at the locksmith's will fit. I like to do all my mechanics and vehicle servicing myself and I can see that you do also. It is so easy with an older vehicle. The things that I really love about my V Star 650 is that it is fully air cooled so no water or coolants to worry about. It has carburettors that I can fix myself. No fuel injection. It has adjustable tappets so no valve shims to worry about. It has shaft drive so no chains. The whole motorcycle is very light and at 70 I can still handle it ok. I hope that everything goes well for you and your motorcycle into the future.

This is a good tip and it works to check the oil on a V Star 650. I use an old bike mirror taped to the end if a stick.
You just sit on the bike level it up with your feet and use the mirror to check the oil level.
My vstar is a 2012 model and has keys but i have a master key that i need to keep safe to get another key made .. i really dont know but i think they have a chip in them. my bike is like new, bought it in march with just over 6000 kilometers, now almost 12000 . i'll sell it in two years so hopefully i never see any problems arise in that time. Just cant decide if to keep and finish my 74 XS650 chop or sell it and build or buy a shovel .. whatever i decide, my next bike will be my last bike

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
My vstar is a 2012 model and has keys but i have a master key that i need to keep safe to get another key made .. i really dont know but i think they have a chip in them. my bike is like new, bought it in march with just over 6000 kilometers, now almost 12000 . i'll sell it in two years so hopefully i never see any problems arise in that time. Just cant decide if to keep and finish my 74 XS650 chop or sell it and build or buy a shovel .. whatever i decide, my next bike will be my last bike
Hi your keys are the same as my 2006 V Star. They do have a chip in them and are not that expensive to replace about 30 dollars as long as you have the red master key. The V Star 650s are good bikes and will last many years. They do not have some of the problems that 1100s have.

·
Registered
2012 xvs650a classic
136 Posts
Hi your keys are the same as my 2006 V Star. They do have a chip in them and are not that expensive to replace about 30 dollars as long as you have the red master key. The V Star 650s are good bikes and will last many years. They do not have some of the problems that 1100s have.
yeah, i got a red key that i've put away and a black key that i use .. previous owner told me if i lose both keys i'll be stuffed. so if i lose the black key i gotta take the red one to yamaha dealer to have new black keys made.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts