Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. yesterday became a bad day heading home after work. A 20 something female cager not paying attention lost control of her van. In her attempt to avoid another hitting another car she over corrected and cross my path. I hit her right front fender and tumbled over it and on down the rode. I thank the lord all I have is a broken wrist, banged up and cut knee (6 stitches) and a bruised ego.
However I am hanging up my helmet. I survived and I will keep that way. No damage to the helmet. I pray for my fellow riders to have God keep you safe.

Best regards

Steve.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
So sorry to hear about your crash but glad to hear your injuries are relatively minor. I hope someday you'll be ready to get back on that horse and ride.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sorry to hear mate but glad your injuries were not too severe. Take care and I hope life brings you all the best from now on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gload to hear youre ok. Could have been alot worse. Sorry for your loss as well. Dont be afraid to get back in the saddle. A bike is like a horse, if youre thrown, its best to get right back on. Dont let fear over come you. God Bless and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Glad your ok.Sorry to hear about the bike.Don't hang the helmet up just yet.A ? to ask your self.Would you quit driving a car after a crash? Quit riding a bicycle after a spill? Hang your skate board up after a tumble? This is just a little food for thought the main thing your ok. Like wis guy stated don't let fear over come you. Godspeed.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Glad your ok. God be with you whatever path you choose:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
nustarguy, I was in much the same situation. I totalled my bike in August, my fault, and I had to decide whether I wanted to continue to ride or not. I did not make the decision for months because I was rehabilitating. One day it was never ride again. A week later I wanted it bad. Finally right around Thanksgiving, I realized that I had been in a funk for a while and the reason finally smacked me in the nose. I didn't want to face a future with no bike. I bought another bike about 3 weeks later(December). Because of the weather I was unable to ride it until recently. All it took was about 10 minutes in the saddle to realize I had made the right decision ........for me. May not be the right decision for you. Don't make any quick judgements....take your time and then make the decision that you are comfortable with. You were very fortunate to come away comparatively unscathed..Heal soon and completely

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the well wishes. I hear you all about rushing to a decision.
but it may be made for me. the bones in my left writs are crushed. will take a lot of work to get it close to working right. for my wife and family as of now, its ok I can walk away. i have been riding since 1982. this is my first accident. Im 49. I will stiil attend bike functions, just in a car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just goes to show you no matter how careful you are, there are other idiots you still need to account for. If you really enjoy riding, dont let it discourage you. Life without enjoyment is death anyhow. Keep riding, be safe and make sure you have a positive balance in the Karma bin... Glad you are ok btw! :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
How many times have I hit the dirt from a horse? I'd rather not say.....
How many times have I hit the dirt from a dirt bike? I'd rather not say.....
How many times have I quit riding? Never

I understand how you feel. If you've been riding since '82, you'll get that old hankering before too long. I suggest buying a small dual-sport. It's street legal, and you can ride it straight to the trails where there are no cagers. Then if the old longings come back, you can always get a V-Star or something.

Just a thought.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm feeling for you too, and like Paddy, I couldn't count the times I hit the dirt while on bikes. I've also hit the street two or three times hard enough to total the bikes but was lucky enough to suffer only cuts and road rash. It's a personal choice for sure and I hope that one day you may be in the position again to make it. Whatever you decide will be the right choice.

Good Luck and May God Be With You

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know how you feel, almost 2 years ago a truck sideswiped me, breaking 2 fingers and my wrist. Could have been worse. Give it time before deciding to hang it up for good, I got my first bike from someone that got scared by a near miss and now he's on another bike.

Only Bikers know why a dog sticks his head out of a window in the car.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know how your feeling. You have a choice to make here !

Although my recent Ice oops did shake me some, I am back on the bike now, 3 weeks, and am doing fairly well, I dislocated my left elbow, lost allot of clutch strength, and for some reason I'm having odd feelings when turning a hard right, probably my arms, the left one still sore some. But I am riding through Maryland heavy idiot full traffic about a hundred miles a day. I did notice I'm taking it a slight slight bit easier, and my confidance is returning to normal, although that first 5 minutes back on the bike had my blood pressure up some. We all been there done that. I also learned the dirtbike methods of going splat and getting back on and keep on going.
Now where is my bag of marbles lol ! Got one real special idiot this am who was reading the fine print on my tag. I gave him three warnings each slightly more animated, and more or less fingers lol. Finally he passed me and started tailgating the other cars in front of me, oh well. OH it's probably funny, but the determining factor of when I climbed back on the beast was when my arm could bend enough to get my helmet buckled ! Worked for me.

Stay safe out there !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts