Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. How hard is the Neutral Assy to change? (I am getting an oil leak and have seen online that this is a common failure point)
  2. Sometimes I am having issues getting the bike in to 1st gear from neutral when in traffic, what could cause this?
  3. My bike was in storage with its previous owner for 11 years before being rebuilt. What other fluids apart from the engine oil should change?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
Year and model of bike would help a lot to receive information. Noticed this was your first post. An introduction in the New Members Section would allow us to get to know you and your bike.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
If it is 650, neutral assem o'ring is culprit ( very simple one screw)
1 st gear , rev engine then let off throttle, it is engine and transmission syncing together
brake fluid and bleed, fork oil if you feel you can do it, rear end oil

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
attached is the link to the shop manual free download. Look for the table of scheduled maintenance and lubrication. Rear drive oil, fork oil and front brake hydraulic oil are the only other fluids to replace.
Checking the grease on all the drive splines is also important. Grease advice varies but I use Loctite LB 8012.
As a riding note, I think it is always better to be stopping in gear (not neutral) when in traffic so you are always ready to get out of harms way and it is always easier to shift into first when the bike is rolling.

·
Registered
2003 RS Warrior S*2-1-2(G2). -AIS. VBAK/K&N(RC1290). CobraCVT. Ivans. SR-2. DC2-1.
86 Posts
Hi guys

I have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. How hard is the Neutral Assy to change? (I am getting an oil leak and have seen online that this is a common failure point)
  2. Sometimes I am having issues getting the bike in to 1st gear from neutral when in traffic, what could cause this?
  3. My bike was in storage with its previous owner for 11 years before being rebuilt. What other fluids apart from the engine oil should change?
For item 2 you might just need to adjust the clutch cable. When the motor gets hotter the clutch fibers get hotter too. They expand and feel sticky causing a hard shift. Start by testing what happens when you tighten the handlebar lever adjuster screw half a turn. Go from there.

Also, verify the motor oil is wet-clutch quality because motor oil that is not will create troubles requiring new clutch fibers. The fibers will slip, heat-glaze, get sticky and the bike will shift badly.

If your motor air:fuel is too lean then it will run hotter, and the extra radiated heat can expand the clutch cable beyond its spec length. When you adjust it to work when hot, you create trouble when the motor is cold. It will drive you crazy until you solve the air:fuel trouble and only then correctly adjust the clutch cable.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
10w40, make sure it is motorcycle oil or that it doesn't have friction reducing additives. The clutch uses the engine oil and it will cause it to slip and ruin the plates

1 - 9 of 9 Posts