Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of lowers for my 950 Tourer a few months back (I got the longest of the three sizes). Then I started noticing a loud rattle at high rpms that I thought might be something loose on the engine or exhaust. Turns out that it is the bottom of the lowers vibrating and actually emitting a loud rattling/buzzing noise.
I'm hoping to somehow stabilize / stiffen the bottom of the lowers with something rather that buy a shorter set or cut these.
Has anyone here ever experienced this and found a solution?

TIA

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
How about a picture? If you have to cut them it isn't difficult.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
I went to the garage to take some pictures and I noticed that I have to cut them anyway. I can turn the wheel all the way right and left, but it flexes the lowers some kinda bad. I can't see any good coming from that. I'll break out the band saw and trim them down. I guess I'll be killing two birds with one band saw.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
After you sand the edges down as smooth as you can get it, put some acetone on a rag and wipe the edge to make it look like a factory cut. Of course if the acetone gets anywhere else it will ruin the surface.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip!
The only thing I don't like is that I'll have to cut off most of the lowers (I had the longest ones that Yamaha sells).
I guess I'll get it over with and cut them down. If I have any problems, I may just make my own from the stock windshield that's taking up space in the garage.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have the Memphis Shades fork detectors. They are wide and long, and I love them. Never any noise issue or vibration. But I have yet to figure out if they are compatible with any engine guards. (I should really get some for protection. )

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts