Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have cobra longs and there very loud usually after a four hour ride my ears are ringing like 9:00 service. yesterday when decellerating i feed it a little fuel so i don't get that loud jake break effect and when i got home i did'nt think my ears were ringing so much. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
ear plugs?

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I use the orange foam plugs sometimes. You have to squeeze them and kinda roll them between your fingers, then you have about 30 seconds to push them in your ear (like a Q tip). They expand back to their normal shape and work very well, but yeah, you cannot just push them in your ears.

They really squash the engine noise and some of the wind on my bike (I have stock exhaust). I have noticed at 60mph I cannot hear my own MC horn with the ear plugs, but I can (just barely) at 40. It makes the ride quieter and less exhausting but I keep in mind that Im nearly deaf with them in my ears.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
maybe you got some weird ones somewhere. We buy them by the boxfull at work, and Ive never heard of anyone not being able to use them. You can squish them down to about a 1/8" diameter... They work almost as good as the big mickymouse head muffs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you are putting in the right plug, gently roll the foam plug in your right thumb and finger until it is a smaller cylinder, while holding and stretching the top of your right ear with your left hand over the top of your head to straighten the right ear canal insert the plug with your right hand and finagle it in. Repeat but opposite hands for the other side.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I ride with them all the time. My pipes are not the loudest out there but the plugs also cut down on all the wind noise. I have gotten so used to them I can't enjoy a ride without them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
from the title of the thread this is not at all what i thought the discussion would be.... lol.

I ride with my headphones in and listen to audio books and music.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the generic orange ear plugs from CVS. My pipe (2n1) is moderately loud but the main reason is to cut down on wind noise which is very fatiguing. Like others I don't ride without them anymore. I squeeze each one into the space between my thumb, index and middle finger making almost like a small long triangle then slide them in. I then press my finger against the back and give a small twist to seal them in. Work great.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
from the title of the thread this is not at all what i thought the discussion would be.... lol.

I ride with my headphones in and listen to audio books and music.
What headphones you using? I would love to be able to listen to tunes while riding but honestly with a 1/2 helmet I afraid any because I fear they won't work. Plus I don't want to spend a boatload of $$ on tem either.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What headphones you using? I would love to be able to listen to tunes while riding but honestly with a 1/2 helmet I afraid any because I fear they won't work. Plus I don't want to spend a boatload of $$ on tem either.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDPZ4I2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first pair lasted nearly 4 years before the metal around the ears started breaking. I still use them for my phone at my desk in the house.

The wrap around helps them stay in place when putting the helmet on. I also wear a headsock to help with that as well, I don't have to be ginger about taking on or off the helmet with these and a headsock. Without the headsock I have to be more careful about putting the helmet on, but nothing like when I tried with regular earbud style headphones.

I wear a full face helmet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts