Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY had a good day to go riding. Temp went above 45 so I got to take my new baby out for a spin. Bought my 950 back in December and had been waiting anxiously for this day.

I migrated from a Suzuki GS500 and was a bit cautious that the 950 would be too big to handle for my 5' 5" frame. Let me tell you, this bike fits like a glove. Low center of gravity and excellent balance made this an extremely easy bike to ride and FUN.

My wife's brother and I spent around 1-1/2 hours riding in town and to a couple of smaller towns. A bit chilly on the highway, but plenty of power. I love the heel shifter.

The only mod I have done to the bike is that I added a Mustang seat and pillion with the driver's backrest pad. Got it off of CL for about 1/2 of brand new and it is brand new. I must say that this was a very worthwhile upgrade when you compare it to the stock seat.

If anyone reading this with a smaller frame like mine who is sitting on the fence about this bike...buy it. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Still debating the 950

I currently ride a Honda 750 Shadow and am debating a move up to either the V-Star 950 or a Honda VTX1300R. I'm 5'7" and find the V-Star fits me best and I've heard the power with the belt drive and air cooled is much better than the Honda shaft drive and water cooled. I also like the idea of EFI vs another carbed motor. However, price is a little higher for the Touring edition and I don't even want/need the backrest because my wife rides her own bike. I also have a back problem and find it impossible to swing my leg over the bike with a high backrest!!

Great to read your positive review and how much you like the 950 --- it helps in my decision!:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tobiquer: My dad has the Shadow. The rake is a little bit more than the V-Star and I like the V-Star's handling. At 5' 7", it's a great height.

Love the fuel injection. With my previous bike, I had to choke it and let it warm up a few minutes before I rode. Now, start and go (i do let it run for a bit).

The 950 has plenty of power when you need it. I do a lot of highway/interstate riding and that's another thing that sold me on this bike.

Like I said previously, I would look at an aftermarket seat. BIG difference.

The other thing I read and never really thought of is the belt is exposed and I guess a rock could get between the belt and the sprocket and cause a sudden stoppage, breakage or worse. I will be looking into belt covers for this bike in the future.

Finally, it's got a bada** look to it! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tobiquer: My dad has the Shadow. The rake is a little bit more than the V-Star and I like the V-Star's handling. At 5' 7", it's a great height.

Love the fuel injection. With my previous bike, I had to choke it and let it warm up a few minutes before I rode. Now, start and go (i do let it run for a bit).

The 950 has plenty of power when you need it. I do a lot of highway/interstate riding and that's another thing that sold me on this bike.

Like I said previously, I would look at an aftermarket seat. BIG difference.

The other thing I read and never really thought of is the belt is exposed and I guess a rock could get between the belt and the sprocket and cause a sudden stoppage, breakage or worse. I will be looking into belt covers for this bike in the future.

Finally, it's got a bada** look to it! :D
Thanks my friend --- appreciate the feedback! It's a nice-looking bike in silver with the bags and windshield and I sure can relate to what you mean about the EFI advantage. Lots of positive reviews of the 950 and actually far more pros than cons.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Howdy, got a 950 for a Christmas present and love it. Stepping up from a Suzuki 650 and it's the world of difference, great gas mileage, the ride is so much smoother and this bike really goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
950 "Metric of the Year"

So I dont know if you guys heard about this, but this year the Vstar 950 won V-Twin Magazine's "Metric of the Year" award. Im not surprised at all. Its a beautiful machine that has the perfect mix of power and weight...well almost perfect. An air kit, exhaust and power commander will make this bike fly. I love my 950. Its one of the most stylish bikes ive seen when its chromed out. I think it looks better than the harley vrod when you add some mods. Plus its 7k cheaper!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sweet, that was a nice article

1 - 8 of 8 Posts