1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
And in Texas.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have avoided lovebugs completely this year, till I went to shadetrees meetup at dimecitycycles. Holy hell was my car coated after that.

Last fall my house was coated in them, mainly my garage doors. I planted spearment in both flower beds on each side of the garage door and this year, I only see one or two hanging out at the garage, instead of hundreds. The spearmint looked like it was dead all florida-winter, but really took off in march and started to grow like crazy.

Now the love bugs are hanging out around the a/c units, plan to plant some spearment there too and see if I can attempt preventative measures for lovebugs (dethatching the yard), but that might have to wait till more of the land around me sells and actually had a yards instead of decomposing logs.

Do not use fresh paint or light colors as love bugs love that.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
We don't have those up here so I had to use Google to find out what these things are. Wow, that must be hell during their flight season. The biggest airborne critters we have to deal with are june bugs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, they aren't big at all, they look like two lightbugs back to back. The issue is they group together, making huge clouds and they LOVE co2, so are constantly on the interstate and at intersections.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One year, driving (not riding, thank god) in east Texas, I had to pull over at just about every gas station to squeegee the love bugs off the windshield. 10 miles or so and they were too thick for me to see out. Had I been on 2 wheels, I don’t think it would have been possible to keep riding. HORRIBLE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts