Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
low budget 650 bobber build

So I bought a 99 vstar 650 this Saturady stock except for some vance and hines pipes runs and rides great with 14k on the odo.

I paid a whopping 700 plus a 25 trailer rental fee to take it home.:D

The plan with the wife yes I said wife is to build a nice little bobber to ride around from time to time if not if someone wants it when I am done then that will work to provided I make a little $$$

I already have it ripped down and new bars installed painted the side covers electric blue pearl, I am going to make my own fiberglass fender as everything I have found simply sucks or they want way to much $$$ for what you are getting.

The bike will probably black with pearl coat and the blue under base should be pretty kickass when its finished. I will post more as I go along.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive played with it a bit. It doesn't have the power my 1100 has but its light as heck and fun to whip around. I just want to build a cool looking bike for a budget that won't cost more than maybe 1300 total bike parts tax title license fees. So far Ive got about 100 on top of the 700 so its getting there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok quick update. Started the fender building tonight along with some sanding painting sanding painting...

Its going to be so much more enjoyable when I can ride it then work on it. But it is what it is. Painted the master cylinder black and both control boxes. Going to be working on the wiring for it all tomorrow and putting them back together then sending the bars to get powder coated again before I slap it all back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am taping it out on the areas that I want it to go to. I couldn't find anything that looked like what I want so my only solution is to build it. If it comes out great I may make a master mold and make a few more. I grew up in a body shop and we repaired both cars and boats so glass doesn't scare me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey man.. i'm new to all this and i'm not even sure what a bobber is.. But after i get my 650 back on the road i'm looking to do some affordable customization.. i feel like this thread will be a big help and your bike is looking better already!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey man.. i'm new to all this and i'm not even sure what a bobber is.. But after i get my 650 back on the road i'm looking to do some affordable customization.. i feel like this thread will be a big help and your bike is looking better already!

Bobbers are stripped down bikes, built to look like bikes from, I think, 30's - 50's, they follow a less is more theme. Here is a link to the pics for bobbers

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19385

OH, and it looks great so far, love that color

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some more updates for you. Tanks painted fender is getting glassed then shaped then bondo then primer then block sand then primer then block then primer then blocked then painted and cleared.

Bonus the new seat for my 1100.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome man its really coming together.. can't wait to see it.. I have a new found love for bobbers thanks to the community

Ive always been an old school guy myself. I had a 48 mercury 4 door in high school and my dads old virago. Those were some fun times and I am a firm believer that your kids need cars they can work on to teach them how to fix crap.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got a little more done tonight. The wife is starting to complain about my time in the garage so I am waiting to touch it until Monday when I have the day off and all day to work.

Pic 1 finally cured temps aren't that high and didn't feel like leaving a heat source running while at work.

Pic 2 removed all the supports and bags and tape and what not.

Pic 3 cut it out to the shape I like and started sanding just a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome man, your fender came out lookin great, as far as working on cars its something i hope I'll be able to do with my kid (when i'm ready for one) me and my dad always talked about doin it but it never really worked out..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
more done today. Once the primer dries I am going to block sand and mount it to see how it works...

Then I will paint it and off to the front end for internal wiring time.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys heres a new update got the day yesterday to play and have gotten a bit more done finally. Going to do the wiring throughout this week and next and get the wheels to the powder coaters.

I am waiting for my tax return to buy some white walls for the beast and I need to get a pan built for the seat but its coming along nicely at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
What would you sell a fender like that for if you end up making a master mould and producing it?

I LOVE the wrap around look and wish I could get a front and rear one but as you've mentioned, expensive...

Looks great so far!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I've been spraying flake for three days it's looking good though

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts