Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and didn't see anything useful...I just bought a 2003 Roadstar and I'd like to put a lower seat on it to get a little more grab on the ground. Can anyone recommend something? Position with the current seat is just fine, but I'm short so an inch would be really helpful.

·
Registered
412 Posts
congrat's on the purchase Annie! i don't know about the seats, but have you thought about getting it lowered an inch? might actually be cheaper.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Barrons lowering kit, if you want to spend around $100.

Aside from that, flip the dogbone around and it'll drop 1-1.5", free and can be done in no time.

A bit more bucks will get you a modified goldwing air ride suspension. Bike off and it's down, get on, turn it on, and the airbag will inflate bringing it to normal riding height. Pre-modified can be had for under $200.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'd consider a lowering kit after I've ridden it a bit and see how the curves are - I'm not aggressive in the curves (on this style bike, hehehe, the Ninja is another story).

But, not to sound stupid...but...I have not a clue what you are referring to in flip the dog bone around?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are seats available to lower your riding position. A new seat is the expensive route, modification of your existing seat is the frugal route.

ED Seats makes three varieties for Road Stars.

Their Standard Seat lowers the riding position but maintains the front to rear positioning.

Their Low/ Forward seat not only lowers the riding position but moves the rider forward.

They also have the Big Touring seat which elevates and moves the riding position back for larger riders.

You can check them all out at ED Seats

There are other seat makers that will customize your seat to your preference. You send them your seat with instructions on how you want it modified.
You can check one of them out, Mean City Cycles, at Mean City Cycles

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys - just did some research and I think flipping the dog bone is the perfect solution for me - that inch to two is all I need. I feel better already. I'll have to bring the bike home as is, and that two hour ride will be a good opportunity for me to decide if I need to do this or not. Stay tuned, I'll come back and let you know when I actually get the bike if I decide to do it and if it works for me :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
The dogbone is hte piece that connects the spring to the frame. You can see what it looks like in this pictures. It has an angle, just flip it over and it'll lower your height. Mine is lowered this way, i'm 5'7" and I can get on pretty well. If I were to go lower I'd get the air ride that raises once the bike is started so it's easier to get on but you have normal ride height, otherwise you're going to bottom out a lot. My floorboards hit the ground all the time as it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts