Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after I purchased my bike I decided I really needed a set of lowers. I had left over 1 1/2" angle aluminum and a piece of 1 1/2" flat as well as 3/8" acrylic. I make a template and cut out the angle mount and matched up the flat. Then after drilling out the holes I used stainless button head bolts with flange lock nuts. I am including pics of the finished product. The acrylic I had to cut max 3.5" wide to clear the engine guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well done! I will likely find myself making a pair similar. Do you have the OEM Big Bar Engine guard? I can't tell from the pictures. The OEM lowers are said to not fit with this engine guard. I'm just as happy to do my own thing anyway and notch if I have to, to clear the engine guard. Save a few bucks as well :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did something similar but yours came out a lot better than mine did. I'll modify them at some point but its not a high priority at the moment. Nice job man, those look great.

Oh...and its the best improvement yet I've done to this bike. Turbulence is greatly tamed with the lowers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine guards I had put on from the Dealer and they are the Star engine guards which is one of the reasons I had to fabricate my own parts. The OEM Wind deflectors will not fit the bike with the engine guards. The guard restricts the width of the acrylic to about 3.5" since they just touch the guard. If you wanted to get creative you could make them 1/2" wider and notch around the guard. These weren't difficult to make. I used a hole saw to cut out the radius on the top and bottom of the bracket and then trimmed off the corners and used a Belt sander to clean up the cuts. The edge of the sander works great on the radius and rounding the edges. If you use a piece of poster board as a template it works wonders to fine tune prior to actually cutting. All of the parts I found at Lowe's except for the stainless bolts; Fastenal has these. I still need to get a new buffing wheel so I can polish these to a chrome finish. If you get the annealed aluminum, they have a coating on the surface that has a satin finish. You just need to be extra careful not to scratch the coating. Painters tape works best.
As you can see the deflectors are the same width as the windshield and they do an excellent job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did something similar but yours came out a lot better than mine did. I'll modify them at some point but its not a high priority at the moment. Nice job man, those look great.

Oh...and its the best improvement yet I've done to this bike. Turbulence is greatly tamed with the lowers.

JBasile...Your almost there. Just round the top in about 1" radius, change over to SS cap bolts with flange nuts and you got it.
If you have a bench grinder, swap out a polishing/buffing wheel and rouge. I have been able to buff out steel to look like chrome. Clean up with mineral spirits and then spray an acrylic clear coat to give it that glossy look and protect the metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts