Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the Strat lowered to fit me better - when I scoot up on the seat I can flat-foot her in the driveway and on level surfaces, but I've stopped on enough uneven pavement and had to stretch just enough times to think that a little lower will be a little safer for me. I am about 5' 6" and weigh less than a buck fifty. I do not ride two up, so I don't expect weight to be an issue.

That said, here's my Q: Will lowering this bike 1.75" make enough difference to the clearance on curves and corners that I should worry about scraping floorboards and, more importantly, the stock pipes?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Beth

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 1100 was lowered 1.75-2" by the previous owner. It has floorboards and aftermarket straight pipes on it. For the first year, I never scraped. As I got more comfortable, got a little more aggressive and scrape occasionally. Mostly on an uphill, left hand turn onramp though. On my Raider, I went with the 240 rear, which raised the bike around 1/2 an inch. I have scrapped the pegs a few times. Oddly enough, on an uphill, left hand turn on ramp as well...guess I have a type haha. Hopefully one of the others that have done the same mod on a Strat/Roadie/Raider can speak up on how it will affect the ride. IMHO though, awareness and aggressiveness make the difference on whether you will scrape or not.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The bike I primarily ride around town and on day trips is lowered 1.5” and has an aftermarket exhaust. I scrape all the time when cornering and the bottom of my lower pipe is ground flat, but I tend to ride aggressively. I’ve learned to embrace the scrape....not that I seek it out. It will depend how you ride somewhat, but at times based on the road and curve you will scrape. A stiffer aftermarket spring will help a bit and keep you from bottoming out as much over bumps.

Stratoliners have a ground clearance of 6.1” less 1.75”=4.35”
My roadstar has a ground clearance of 5.7” less 1.5” = 4.2”
So mine is lowered about the same as yours will be. I can’t speak on your exhaust height.

Only you can decide what is acceptable. I would recommend lowering it, riding it for awhile and then deciding if it’s acceptable. I would caution you when you scrape not to over correct which can be bad since the scraping usually occurs when turning or in a curve. You can always change it back. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I am not a less aggressive rider now: I'm still getting used to the Strat after riding the V-Star 950, and it will take me some time to get comfortable on it. I do appreciate your comments - and thanks for reminding me that I can always change it back!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it. Had the 1.75" Pacific Coast Star lowering kit installed. Was also due for a new rear tire and went with the Michelin 200/55 R17. Picked her up from the shop this morning and took a 100 mile detour on Route 66 on the way home to wear the slicky off the new tire and to see how lowering her felt. Is great! I love the Strat even more now!

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cityclucks, that is a good looking bike. What is the highway bar you have on the front - I like the look. And how big of a difference does the backrest make for you? That's another mod I am thinking of so would like to get your opinions.

- adder

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cityclucks, that is a good looking bike. What is the highway bar you have on the front - I like the look. And how big of a difference does the backrest make for you? That's another mod I am thinking of so would like to get your opinions.

- adder
The bar was on the bike when I got her, it looks like a Cobra Fatty but I could be wrong. I have to screw the driver backrest as far forward as I can to use it at all, and then it's still a bit of a reach to the handlebars for me, so I'm not qualified to answer your question. If I were a little bigger and had arms a little longer I'd think it would be helpful.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The bar was on the bike when I got her, it looks like a Cobra Fatty but I could be wrong. I have to screw the driver backrest as far forward as I can to use it at all, and then it's still a bit of a reach to the handlebars for me, so I'm not qualified to answer your question. If I were a little bigger and had arms a little longer I'd think it would be helpful.
I can related to having to reach for handlebars. I am taller than you but don't have the longest arms and I wish my bars were 3 or 4 inches closer to me. I bought some risers to add to the bike with the intention of moving them closer to me, lesblank was going to help me install them. I think they would do what I want but it became apparent the job would involve moving the brake cable or getting a longer brake cable and I am not willing to go there...yet.

Anyway, I really like the look of your bike. Have fun!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bar was on the bike when I got her, it looks like a Cobra Fatty but I could be wrong.
After looking at the photo closer, you are most likely correct. The Yamaha big bar has a curve where yours doesn't.

There are different handlebar pullbacks on the market that may help move the bars back to you. They may or may not help but you can check them out.

This one claims 1 3/4" back with 3/4" rise.

This one claims 2 1/4" back with 1" rise.

They are the same part number form Barons so I don't get the difference in measurements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After looking at the photo closer, you are most likely correct. The Yamaha big bar has a curve where yours doesn't.

There are different handlebar pullbacks on the market that may help move the bars back to you. They may or may not help but you can check them out.

This one claims 1 3/4" back with 3/4" rise.

This one claims 2 1/4" back with 1" rise.

They are the same part number form Barons so I don't get the difference in measurements.
Thanks for the links TimBucTwo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts