Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here. Just bought a Stratoliner. I'm 5'8" - front of feet touch the ground, heels about an inch and a half off. Currently has Mustang seats, which I enjoyed on my previous 950.

What is the best/safest way to lower myself an inch or so with this bike?

I looked at front spring and rear bar lowering kits, but heard of tires scraping fenders and floorboards scraping the road. Can anyone comment further?

Are there better seat options to lower me without sacrificing comfort? (back rest preferred as I enjoy long days on the bike, but I am getting old)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Many go with a lower profile rear tire...200/55-17 with good results.
You can loosen the tension on the rear shock and it will drop down a bit. Also there are lowering dog bones that will drop the rear up to 2”. I also had a mustang seat and went with a different seat and that helped. (Sold as a ZR1 seat on eBay but I think it is made by Saddleman). Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Many go with a lower profile rear tire...200/55-17 with good results.
You can loosen the tension on the rear shock and it will drop down a bit. Also there are lowering dog bones that will drop the rear up to 2”. I also had a mustang seat and went with a different seat and that helped. (Sold as a ZR1 seat on eBay but I think it is made by Saddleman). Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that lowering bars are the way to go as Steelhorseman said. I have the lowering bars on my Vstar1300 and have it set to the 1" drop. Riding 2 up is no issue with suspension spring tension at 5.. most of the time if it bottoms out it's because the bump was that big. I don't think i have personally had it bottom out riding solo. The floor boards scraping is a given.. your lowering the bike so that means a few things go down with it. yes the 1" reduced the lean i can do but to be honest I'm in it pretty good when i rub and you just keep going.. that's why they put the wear tabs on the floorboards in the first place.

You can't ask to do one thing without it effecting something else.. as in how will you drop the seat height and nothing else and also keep the comfort your looking for. something has to give.

Just my $0.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts