Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought an 11' Stratoliner!!! Love the bike. She has a PC3, Hard Krome Straights and a nice upgrade in audio with Blue Tooth added. Need some advice on lowering the beast a little and hear lots about either A: Adding a 200/50/17 tire, B: Lowering links which are 1.75" or using the new Progressive 465 shock to lower her an inch as well. The Tire option sounds great if the RPM's arent too high but would love to hear from you fine peeps! She only has 15K miles on her. I have the Yamaha Comfort seats on the way too.

I know plenty of members have lowered the bike and have opinions on which mod they like best and or have tried all?? The 200/50/17 tire mod is kool but does it keep the bike at too high of an RPM at 80MPH (live in AZ and 80MPH on highway).. On the lower link mod can I crank the spring down enough to hold wife and I well and not bottom out? (only 350 pounds combined weight of wife and I). Or is it best to use the 465 Progressive shock 1" lower. Who has done what and LOVES what??

Newbie...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Alvin!
Congrats on your new ride!

I have an '09 Roadliner with a 200/55/17 tire and I was on the highway yesterday hitting close to 75 MPH @ 3k RPM (give or take). As far as lowering the bike... I'm 6' tall and can sit flat-footed while stopped. Still, I think a 1.75" lowering kit would be aesthetically awesome! :D

I'd love to read the replies as they come in. Congrats again on your new bike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mines lowered in the rear using lowering dog bones. I do scrape floorboards fairly easily but again i am running the factory shock. It doesnt bottom out either. I did crank the spring down, wife and i are about 325lbs combined. I'm also running a Raider rear rim with a 240/40/18 tire. Mine lowered i still cant flat foot, im 5'9" tall.

Sent from my Motorola Flip Phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much lower than stock, overall with all your mods, is that? I have a new to me 2013 Strat, and I want something just not quite stock. I was thinking around 2 inches should do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont know. I didnt take any measurements before hand. With my bars turned to the left, from the ground to the tip of my rear fender is 12.5 inches

Sent from my Motorola Flip Phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
just bought an 11' Stratoliner!!! Love the bike. She has a PC3, Hard Krome Straights and a nice upgrade in audio with Blue Tooth added. Need some advice on lowering the beast a little and hear lots about either A: Adding a 200/50/17 tire, B: Lowering links which are 1.75" or using the new Progressive 465 shock to lower her an inch as well. The Tire option sounds great if the RPM's arent too high but would love to hear from you fine peeps! She only has 15K miles on her. I have the Yamaha Comfort seats on the way too.
Just curious: what did you decide, Alvin?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious: what did you decide, Alvin?
Used the progressive shock (1" lower") and the Yamah/Corbin comfort seats. She is a BLAST! The shock makes a hell of a difference in handling. The gent who owned her before had the floor board extension kit put on (3" forward). I left them in place so I can carve the canyons better. I also added a Rockford sound system (T400X2 mini amp/Pro 6.5" /T series and blue tooth receiver). She auto connects to my phone and sounds like a concert. The Mini amp is super efficient for our bikes and fits perfectly under Deluxe fairing. Added a laydown bracket too but not in these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best amplifier hands down on the market for Motorcycles is the new T400x2AD. Super efficient, small package, big power, and can limit the speakers to not produce TOO much bass and distort.
T400X2ad - Power 400 Watt Class AD 2-Channel Amplifier | Rockford Fosgate®

Their are several 6.5's that will fit in our fairing. The most efficient/loudest is the TMS65. That's the same being used in all HARLEY DAVIDSON kits and INDIANS. They handle the most power/are the loudest and will take abuse when hitting 80MPH.
TMS65 - Power*Harley-Davidson® 6.5"*Full Range Fairing/Tour-Pak Speakers (2014+) | Rockford Fosgate®

The Punch series will work as well. Just not as loud. Totally a budget thing..
P1650 - Punch 6.5" 2-Way Full Range Euro Fit Compatible Speaker | Rockford Fosgate®

Here is the Bluetooth module. Totally concealed in fairing. You dont even need a ignition wire. The amp will turn on when it senses the bluetooth connection.
RFBTRCA - Universal Bluetooth to RCA Adaptor | Rockford Fosgate®

I will be making a post soon to share. Just haven't had time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Installed Raider wheels with 210/40 on rear and bike sat up too high on front and handled very "heavy" and turning radius increased. I lowered the front 1.5" with Progressive drop-in lowering springs and heaviness went away and turning radius decreased some. Won't be lowing the rear but will be installing Progressive 465 w/ RAP shock. Fender is just sitting on tire and going for installation and paint on Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wheels look awesome! You will love the 465 progressive suspension. Update the pics after paint. I love the way mine handles now but love that front wheel look too!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best amplifier hands down on the market for Motorcycles is the new T400x2AD. Super efficient, small package, big power, and can limit the speakers to not produce TOO much bass and distort.
T400X2ad - Power 400 Watt Class AD 2-Channel Amplifier | Rockford Fosgate®

Their are several 6.5's that will fit in our fairing. The most efficient/loudest is the TMS65. That's the same being used in all HARLEY DAVIDSON kits and INDIANS. They handle the most power/are the loudest and will take abuse when hitting 80MPH.
TMS65 - Power*Harley-Davidson® 6.5"*Full Range Fairing/Tour-Pak Speakers (2014+) | Rockford Fosgate®

The Punch series will work as well. Just not as loud. Totally a budget thing..
P1650 - Punch 6.5" 2-Way Full Range Euro Fit Compatible Speaker | Rockford Fosgate®

Here is the Bluetooth module. Totally concealed in fairing. You dont even need a ignition wire. The amp will turn on when it senses the bluetooth connection.
RFBTRCA - Universal Bluetooth to RCA Adaptor | Rockford Fosgate®

I will be making a post soon to share. Just haven't had time.
Here is the pics from the system above I just posted on. She absolutely rocks!

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Installed Raider wheels with 210/40 on rear and bike sat up too high on front and handled very "heavy" and turning radius increased. I lowered the front 1.5" with Progressive drop-in lowering springs and heaviness went away and turning radius decreased some. Won't be lowing the rear but will be installing Progressive 465 w/ RAP shock. Fender is just sitting on tire and going for installation and paint on Monday.
Ever since swapping to Raider wheels, I've noticed the heaviness too. I don't mind the turning radius too much but dang, the increased height and stability takes getting used to. My PCS slam package should be here by Wednesday and hopefully I can get the back dropped this coming weekend. Can you tell me more about the front drop springs? I may go that route too.

Here is the pics from the system above I just posted on. She absolutely rocks!
Man, I can almost hear you all the way in Texas! LOL! I wish I had a fairing to mount speakers like that! I really want to just keep my bike as naked as possible. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ever since swapping to Raider wheels, I've noticed the heaviness too. I don't mind the turning radius too much but dang, the increased height and stability takes getting used to. My PCS slam package should be here by Wednesday and hopefully I can get the back dropped this coming weekend. Can you tell me more about the front drop springs? I may go that route too.

I will be doing the springs too. Would love to know how difficult it was to install.

Man, I can almost hear you all the way in Texas! LOL! I wish I had a fairing to mount speakers like that! I really want to just keep my bike as naked as possible. :)
Their is kool small system that sounds good for the size and you can tie in the Bluetooth adapter too. Depending on your helmet choice using a single in ear head phone works good too.
https://www.amazon.com/Renegade-RXA100B-Powersports-Sound-System/dp/B008AJKQYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494855261&sr=8-2&keywords=Renegade+rxa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How difficult was it to install the Progressive drop in springs? Thinking of that as well. Did you need to change or modify the kick stand?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts