Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a lock for the OEM leather wrapped saddle bags for either the 950 or the 1300. If if doesnt have the key....I do not care.

This is the OEM part number 5S6-28408-00-00

Looks like this....

Thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You'll need to double check with these people that they will fit your bike. I haven't bought them yet, but was searching for the Stratoliner. From the pictures alone, they look similar. I'd find it hard to believe that a company would design and use different locks across all their similar bags.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll need to double check with these people that they will fit your bike. I haven't bought them yet, but was searching for the Stratoliner. From the pictures alone, they look similar. I'd find it hard to believe that a company would design and use different locks across all their similar bags.
Thank you...

I was trying to keep away from spending so much if I dont have to...but if all else fails....I will definitely order from the link

Thank you

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
They are easy to rebuild, the kit has the parts that usually go bad except the springs. You find them at a hardware store. I rebuilt one of mine, it comes with enough parts to rebuild both sides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are easy to rebuild, the kit has the parts that usually go bad except the springs. You find them at a hardware store. I rebuilt one of mine, it comes with enough parts to rebuild both sides.
Yeah they are...but the lower pusher is broken, something that no one seems to sell on its own.

Wait...where did you find a rebuild kit? I have been looking.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I did a Google search, found out the part number then did a search of just the part number, that gives you everyone selling the kit

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
Years ago I looked into a lock for The Strat. Lock and rekey $150. I've found a cheap ( and I am cheap ) Alternative.

Reactions: Penguinechef

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Years ago I looked into a lock for The Strat. Lock and rekey $150. I've found a cheap ( and I am cheap ) Alternative.
View attachment 107429
Kind of like this....? Mines green....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 View attachment 107438
I don't have a handy picture to show you and right now it is dark outside. My current solution is similar to yours but I've used black paracord. From 100 yards away, you don't even notice it.

Here is the best price I just found. The part # is : 90891-20119-00

@Jspree can you tell me what comes in that kit and if it is for one lock or two. I looked at the site you posted, but it doesn't have a picture or a description. I had to get into one of the locked bags and used a hammer and wooden dowel which was approx. the same diameter of the lock. I got into the bag, but now have pieces that don't look like originally designed. Until I see what comes in the kit, I won't know if it has everything I need.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
It has the main body, the insert that holds the lock set and the plunger that goes between the lock set the the bottom foot, it doesn't have the bottom foot and the springs , or the lock set.
It has the parts for two locks

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
It was a first date met her at a friends house. Making Scampi at my place. Do the shopping about an hour before dinner. Get home and it won't open. Pound of shrimp stuck in a hot saddle bag. It felt like not getting a tilt on a pinball machine trying to open it. BOING springs and plastic pieces fly everywhere. Dinner was great. Bungees since.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It was a first date met her at a friends house. Making Scampi at my place. Do the shopping about an hour before dinner. Get home and it won't open. Pound of shrimp stuck in a hot saddle bag. It felt like not getting a tilt on a pinball machine trying to open it. BOING springs and plastic pieces fly everywhere. Dinner was great. Bungees since.
View attachment 107460
That sounds about right. Mine was slightly more deadly than rotten fish, so it could not be allowed to stay where it was. I need to take another look at mine to see which one of us has the mechanism which is closest to the original design. On mine, at least from the outside, if you overlook the piece of rope holding the cover closed, you'd never even know there was a problem with it. (I tried it without the rope. When stopped, all "looked" fine but once you got moving, the give away that something was amiss, was the cover opening to its full extent, doubling the width of the bike.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.