Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of luggage do you have on your bike and what do you like and dislike about it?

My xs400 has a top case which I think is ugly as heck, but perfectly fit my helmet and my lunch bag (not at the same time lol) when I rode to work. Not sure what I'm going to do without it on the new bike!

I've also got a set of small saddlebags from Viking and they're nice enough quality, but I *hate* the way the lids open against the bike, makes accessing things inside difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Mine has stock saddle bags, that I LOVE and I installed an E-bay trunk on it which is pretty roomy and can store 2 of my jackets, a hat and a few other smaller things no problem.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
the only 'permanent' luggage i have on mine is a La Rosa swingarm bag that I had to customize to fit properly on my 950.

but for a trip, i use an 80L waterproof Givi bag. you could probably fit a kitchen sink in it, though i haven't tried yet. and there's still room to use my First Gear saddlebags if i need them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Last year I went ahead and ordered soft bags from Motocentric. They were half price on Motorcycle-superstore.com. They expand to hold a lot! I'm not really a leather girl. Eventually want some hard, locking, color match, detachable bags. -The rain liners suck on these, but I just line the insides with trash bags if I know that I'm going on a rainy trip. Function is the key. I also like the way they fit, shape/contour, with the rear fender.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
One of the things that surprised me in the MSF training course is the recommendations for carrying stuff on your bike.

To maintain the stability of the MC, draw a triangle from your head to the front and rear axles.

Anything you carry on your MC should be inside that triangle.

Saddle bags are just on the line. A tank bag is excellent. Anything on the seat or higher behind the rider is outside the triangle.

It really does make a difference on cornering and braking, going over bumps and potholes, and a nasty thing called TankSlap!

·
Registered
127 Posts
And a passenger, the worst possible cargo and location possible, but we manage and drive accordingly.
I adjust my driving when towing a travel trailer behind my truck too....

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I agree, riding two up is about the worse thing you can do on a MC regarding stability and the handling of the bike.

A lot of bikes do not come with passenger seats or luggage racks.

Its a definite trade off and something you must be aware of.

It also begs the question: if you are going to ride two up, or with a lot of luggage/cargo on your bike, is it really worth it to ride a MC?

I have gone on trips with two saddle bags + a sea bag strapped to the passenger seat
and trips with nothing but $200 in my wallet.

I enjoyed the ride far more with nothing on the bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had Viking bags that i cut the tops to fit a 6x9 before i got some hard bags

08 vstar custom with
stealth faring
4x 5.25 pioneer 3 ways
2 x (6x9) 3 ways in the bags
pioneer headunit
daymaker led
gangster front fender
highway pegs